Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millenium fund or Student assistant fund?

Options
  • 17-08-2008 9:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

I'm going back to college this year for one year, so I can get a science job. I already have a three year degree with hardly any work experiance and because I didn't look for a job for a couple of years after finishing my degree i'm finding it very hard to get in now. I will be giving up full time employment to go to college but I have a mortgage and childcare cost. I will also be travelling quiet a bit. I Know both the millenium fund and student assistent fund help you with these cost but does anyone know how much? Do they work on % or is there a maximum they can give you? can you apply for both and can you recieve both?

Comments

abi2007 wrote: »
    I'm going back to college this year for one year, so I can get a science job. I already have a three year degree with hardly any work experiance and because I didn't look for a job for a couple of years after finishing my degree i'm finding it very hard to get in now. I will be giving up full time employment to go to college but I have a mortgage and childcare cost. I will also be travelling quiet a bit. I Know both the millenium fund and student assistent fund help you with these cost but does anyone know how much? Do they work on % or is there a maximum they can give you? can you apply for both and can you recieve both?

Hey abi2007,

The Student Assistance Fund is confidential and is there for anyone to apply to if they are facing hardship during the year. It isn't bottomless and I know of people who have gotten a couple of hundred euro off it, but that was a once-off time. I don't think it's good to rely on it for the entire year since, again going on memory, I think it has run out in the past early during the college year.

Milennium Partnership Fund I don't really know much about, and the best information that is available would be on studentfinance.ie. And yes, to the best of my knowledge you can receive both of them at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭abi2007

Thanks Myth, Starting to panic now. If I don't get the grant i'm not sure what else to do. I spoke to the college and to local millenium fund. both are going to send out forms. The amount you get depends on your situation.

Advertisement