Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floods

Options
  • 16-08-2008 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I'm hearing rumours that the Dinin bridge on the main road to Ballyragget got washed away in the floods today - anyone know if its true? Getting to work is going to be a pain in the ass if it is :eek:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

I just noticed that the two flower barges that were on both sides of the John St. bridge have floated down stream. I live by the Weir and saw them tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Munurty

Ah no the Dinin bridge didn't get washed away, well it was fine about two hours ago. Very badly flooded though between the bridge and the Castlecomer road, theres two cars stranded there.

The coast guard helicopter from Waterford was searching the floods around Kilkenny for a good while this evening too. They were probably looking for people stranded in cars and houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I just noticed that the two flower barges that were on both sides of the John St. bridge have floated down stream. I live by the Weir and saw them tonight.

Well, they don't call them barges for nothing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Stephen wrote: »
    I'm hearing rumours that the Dinin bridge on the main road to Ballyragget got washed away in the floods today - anyone know if its true? Getting to work is going to be a pain in the ass if it is :eek:

There was a detour to the Freshford Road, at about 5 o Clock yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Namesco wrote: »
    There was a detour to the Freshford Road, at about 5 o Clock yesterday

which was also flooded but seen as the lesser of two evils - had a friend drive over from thurles yesterday and was directed away from freshford only to meet an even bigger flood and told to go back and take his chances at freshford. Drove down from Dublin in the most god awful rain and was stopped by big flood just outside paulstown, back tracked to Gowran where we ended up stuck by another massive flood, twas nuts!

River last night was scary looking. Leaving Tynans round 1am saw some idoit hanging right off the center of the bridge. Called the cops who came and yanked him back over. He kept yelling at people passing by to take his phone so it wouldn't get damaged when he jumped in the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Does anyone know exactly what happened in Paulstown on Saturday?

Was in same situ as you Ztoical on Sat. The guards had the road closed and I was diverted all over the place trying to get home from Dublin Sat afternoon, but after driving through Paulstown this morning, still can't figure out where the flood exactly was? No sign of one now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

JohnMc1 wrote: »

Not very surprising...I guess they should have secured them better :)

As for floods, Bridge Street in Callan was closed off due to flooding and goats bridge out Mill Street towards Waterford was flooded pretty bad as was parts of mallardstown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

MsFifers wrote: »
    Does anyone know exactly what happened in Paulstown on Saturday?

Was in same situ as you Ztoical on Sat. The guards had the road closed and I was diverted all over the place trying to get home from Dublin Sat afternoon, but after driving through Paulstown this morning, still can't figure out where the flood exactly was? No sign of one now.

No guards there when I got there but when I eventual got round gowran there were cop cars heading that way and old men in neon vests pointing in every direction going "tis flooded down there" The flood at paulstown was the kilkenny side just before the railway bridge.

Was up in meath yesterday and the river there had burst its banks and flooded a massive chunk of road which my friend thankfully knew how to get around. As we went to turn off the flooded road onto a side road this big van went roaring past us ignored the flood warning signs and plowed right into the middle of the flood. He didn't get very far in before a big puff of steam went up and he stopped dead. when the driver got out the water was up to his waist.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ztoical wrote: »
    As we went to turn off the flooded road onto a side road this big van went roaring past us ignored the flood warning signs and plowed right into the middle of the flood. He didn't get very far in before a big puff of steam went up and he stopped dead. when the driver got out the water was up to his waist.

Ah Darwinism at work :)

Advertisement