Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking to buy a Cayenne Turbo

Options
  • 16-08-2008 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

What are the opinions on the best time to buy?

The market for Jeeps is getting hammered at the minute and there are some very good deals to be had with people dumping the high rating stuff cause of the £2k tax and the fuel costs (neither of which are an issue for me)

I recently looked at a 2004 Cayenne for 32k of a regular dealer (I'd imagine I'd get it for 30k if not less), same car off Porsche dealer is over 60k :eek:

I'm much more interested in the Turbo version and i want one with most of the bells and whistles on it.

Whats the opinions of everyone regarding when to buy? I'm thinking the best policy to wait till late november when the dealers are beginning to panic with mountains of expensive stock they can't shift ?

How much under list should I be offering? Is 10% below their asking ok, or should i aim at 15%

I'm a cash buyer.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Hammertime wrote: »
    Whats the opinions of everyone regarding when to buy? I'm thinking the best policy to wait till late november when the dealers are beginning to panic with mountains of expensive stock they can't shift ?
    The longer you can wait, the lower prices will fall.
    How much under list should I be offering? Is 10% below their asking ok, or should i aim at 15%

I'm a cash buyer.

Thanks all.
    It all depends on the asking price. Remember that you are buying a car that will be worth very little come resale - this has to be reflected in the price you pay. I'm not too up on Cayenne prices, but it'd want to be very cheap to tempt me.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The market for Jeeps is getting hammered at the minute and there are some very good deals to be had with people dumping the high rating stuff cause of the £2k tax and the fuel costs (neither of which are an issue for me)

Cant see why either of thse would be a deciding factor for the people who buy them (new of course, pre 08 are still on old tax rates). The €2000 tax rate is only €500 more than the old rate. Fuel prices the same. I would have thought a rise in prices would effect the €100k car buy proportioally the same as the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

I'm sniffin at a turbo cayenne too but good ones are rare on the ground. Des Culllen has one but its in the 60's.

Have the revenue commissioners reviewed their values on vrt in light of the recent drop in 2nd hand car prices??

Also the v6 cayenne is gutless. ....I'm prepared to pay early 40s for one...we might get lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

What are the opinions on the best time to buy?I recently looked at a 2004 Cayenne for 32k of a regular dealer (I'd imagine I'd get it for 30k if not less), same car off Porsche dealer is over 60k :eek:

I'm much more interested in the Turbo version and i want one with most of the bells and whistles on it.

See if you can find this dealer!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2008/0813/1218477437743.html

quote - Some dealers are asking prices for used cars more appropriate for the market of six months ago. "They are dreaming, but that's all they're doing," says another dealer, who says he could not get €40,000 for a three-year-old Porsche Cayenne Turbo that originally cost €200,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Ring the finance houses and see if they've any due in and also keep an eye on the auctions. The next call on commercial interest is october and some deaalers may be struggling to meet this and could be desperate for a cash deal near then. no matter what the asking price is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

cbyrne wrote: »
    See if you can find this dealer!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2008/0813/1218477437743.html

quote - Some dealers are asking prices for used cars more appropriate for the market of six months ago. "They are dreaming, but that's all they're doing," says another dealer, who says he could not get €40,000 for a three-year-old Porsche Cayenne Turbo that originally cost €200,000

Yeah I actually got in contact with the journo who worte that. He wouldn't say who it was, which seemed strange as the dealer is obviously in the business of selling cars, I even told him he could pass my details onto the Car dealer who could ring me if they wished, he refused that as well.

I wonder if maybe the journo made it up? ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah I actually got in contact with the journo who worte that. He wouldn't say who it was, which seemed strange as the dealer is obviously in the business of selling cars, I even told him he could pass my details onto the Car dealer who could ring me if they wished, he refused that as well.

I wonder if maybe the journo made it up? ya think?

That's very strange alright. Maybe ring all the dealers who have an '05 Cayenne Turbo for sale (on cbg, carzone, etc.) and ask them did they talk to your man. Failing to find one who did, a call to the journo's employer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

If I had cash at hand to the value of this kind of car I certainly wouldn't be spending it on a Porche, but each to their own. I think there is a Porche Cayenne in Autoplatz on the Walkinstown Road...

http://www.autoplatz.ie/Details.aspx?id=520

Ok, it's not the turbo version...

Darragh29 wrote: »
    If I had cash at hand to the value of this kind of car I certainly wouldn't be spending it on a Porche, but each to their own. I think there is a Porche Cayenne in Autoplatz on the Walkinstown Road...

http://www.autoplatz.ie/Details.aspx?id=520

Ok, it's not the turbo version...

Yeah Darragh, they are not the prettiest imo but the missus wants one (the bonus is I get to buy the car by keeping her happy),

Regarding price the autoplatz one is 48k, the one is 15 grand less.

Market has gone to bits for these sort of cars, specatacular prices falls are everywhere

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Porsche/Cayenne/TIPTRONIC-S/1121069/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

Surely Sports and Classic/Motopoint can source one for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Would an RX or X5 not be better overall. I remember hearing Jamie Oliver on TV saying he bought a Cayenne for the missus and it needed bodywork every few weeks it was that feeble.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Would an RX or X5 not be better overall. I remember hearing Jamie Oliver on TV saying he bought a Cayenne for the missus and it needed bodywork every few weeks it was that feeble.
    Yeah, but the Cayenne is a Porsche.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Cayenne Turbo S seemed like a beast to drive going by Richard Hammonds experience on the TG review. It's a pity that 99.9999% of them will never ever be given such a thrashing. :(

Anan1 wrote: »
    Yeah, but the Cayenne is a Porsche.;)

And its a savage motor, you ever driven a Cayenne Turbo? Its awesome to drive, the response from it is incredible for such a powerful large vehicle.

I'd prefer a fully loaded X5 myself but as you said, people get blinded by the Porsche badge, in this case though its a hell of a lot of Jeep for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Porsche ...Jeep

PORSCHE
    porsche-911-997-gt261.jpg

JEEP
    120-willys-jeep.jpg

never the twain shall meet :D

Now ...get your terminology right or I'll move this to the 4x4 forum for a proper roasting :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

peasant wrote: »
    PORSCHE
    porsche-911-997-gt261.jpg

JEEP
    120-willys-jeep.jpg

never the twain shall meet :D

Now ...get your terminology right or I'll move this to the 4x4 forum for a proper roasting :D:D:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I'd prefer a fully loaded X5 myself but as you said, people get blinded by the Porsche badge, in this case though its a hell of a lot of Jeep for the money.
    A hell of a lot of Toe rag. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Good luck with the purchase Hammer... I think they're a lovely looking machine.... No advice available, just support for a change:rolleyes:

staker wrote: »
    Good luck with the purchase Hammer... I think they're a lovely looking machine.... No advice available, just support for a change:rolleyes:
    Ah come on, I think anyone brave enough to announce that 'the missus wants a Cayenne' is well able for a gentle ribbing.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Fair point anan. I feel this this small now:o

• Advertisement

staker wrote: »
    Fair point anan. I feel this this small now:o
    Don't, she's not your missus!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭NewApproach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

What about maintenance? Who will you get to maintain it? It will be far from a cheap car to run in terms of fuel consumption and maintenance.

ksimpson wrote: »
    What about maintenance? Who will you get to maintain it? It will be far from a cheap car to run in terms of fuel consumption and maintenance.

lol,

I own a petrol station (thankfully), I couldn't give a toss about the running costs.

as for those having a pop because its for my missus, I've a Cayman on order so if she wants a Porsche JEEP she can focking have one.

:rolleyes:

And for the record, from the Merriam-Webster Online Thesaurus

Jeep (Jeeps plural )A Jeep is a type of car that can travel over rough ground.
    ® n-count

lol,

I own a petrol station (thankfully), I couldn't give a toss about the running costs.

as for those having a pop because its for my missus, I've a Cayman on order so if she wants a Porsche JEEP she can focking have one.

® n-count
    You're Ross O'Carroll Kelly, aren't you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

lol,

® n-count

You are about to become your own best customer!

In fairness the Cayenne isn't the prettiest but is some feat of engineering, happy shopping, I don't actually have any advice to offer I'm afraid but I love the Cayman!

Anan1 wrote: »
    You're Ross O'Carroll Kelly, aren't you? :D

lol, no, they won't let me into the Old Wesley Discos anymore, something about being in my 30's and scaring the girls.....

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Is it just me or is every thread turning into a flaming argument? :confused:

As for Cayenne, they woudn't be my cup of tea but that doesn't mean that are bad. As others have suggested values are tumbling, I wouldn't rush into any deal on one.
    I met a guy recently with a 2006 Range Rover Vogue, he went in recently to trade up to a new one, his trade in costs would have been €60,000!!! that's €60k depreciation in 2 years!! The dealer pointed to 4 or 5 other Range Rover Vogues on the forecourt & told him that he couldn't move those, never mind adding another one to the list!
    I think this is a good indication that there is potential for bargaining on these types of vehicles right now. A prolonged sale with you sticking to your guns is probably the best approach. There's not going to be queues of people interested in the same vehicle you are interested in so you can afford to slow the sale right down with minimal risk to losing out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

right ...rather than closing this thread I've cleaned it up and removed all the flaming.

Let's have another attempt at discussing cars (and cars only)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement