Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat that bites

Options
  • 15-08-2008 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

My cat has a strange habit and I was wondering does anyone know why he does this? He will sometimes come up to me and nip at a piece of exposed flesh. He never breaks the skin though. It's as if he's showing me he has teeth and is not afraid to use them.
    Tagged:

Comments

He is just playing, if he wanting to make a point he'd break the skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

Before he does this is he looking for attention in any way? Would he like a headrub/more food/be let out?

One of mine does this when i'm having too much of a lie-in (in his eyes) and the food bowl is empty! He'll sit on me, wait a little bit, meow, wait a bit, sniff me and pull at my t-shirt, wait for a bit and then, as a last resort, nip me.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭christinadublin

He does seem to be in a good mood before he tries to take a bite, sometimes he's purring. He appears to be very alert aswell. Depends where he takes a nip it can hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My uncle's cat does this. He's so delighted to see you when you get up in the morning, he purrs, rubs against your legs and "nobbles" your toes with his teeth. He does it gently though and doesn't intend to hurt. He also "nobbles" your fingers when he's in your arms, purring.

I take it as a sign of affection.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

your cat is probably just bored & looking for attention & to play...... try directing his attention towards toys instead of biting you..... there are loads of different toys available that you could try. Mine love small furry mice, their da bird toy, and bits of string the best ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭christinadublin

Thanks for the advise.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

It sounds like he's giving an affectionate nip, some cats show affection this way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

You might find something useful on this, my cat started doing this after her brother died.

www.veterinarypartner.com/content.plx?P=T&C=33&S=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Nanook32

Hehe I know what your talking about, my kitty does this also. He is always in good form when he does it and I would think your kitty is doing the same. Just for fun :) I think its funny.

Advertisement