Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Submission to Yahoo directory?

Options
  • 15-08-2008 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Has anyone here submitted their site to the Yahoo Directory? At $299/year, I'd want to be sure that it would drive traffic to my site. Where do people see the benefit - in being listed in the directory and getting clicks that way or by being linked from a highly-valued site and potentially gaining page rank as a result.

Thanks,
    jomag.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

I wouldnt mind an answer to this either as I've read that it is worth it but $299 is steep enough

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭andywozhere

I submitted my site to the yahoo directory and can't say I've seen a lot of benefit... certainly not so far (in terms of traffic or page rank). It might be worth it if you have a bit of spare cash, but if you can think of other ways to spend it on promoting the site or developing content, then I'd just do that if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jomag45

how long ago did you submit it? Has your Google PR improved as a result is it it too early to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

jomag45 wrote: »
    how long ago did you submit it? Has your Google PR improved as a result is it it too early to tell.

forget about PR ... its nice to have but thats about all.

I've a client that submits to the directory and really they've not seen that big a payback from it. If you've got the 299 quid ... go for it ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jomag45

forget about PR ... its nice to have but thats about all.

Agreed, but if it changed, then it might be an indicator that the Yahoo listing had helped, as it's one measurement of the popularity (in Google's eyes) of your site.

Also running your site through websitegrader.com before and after a major change helps to see (at least in their eyes) which things are optimising the site.

If you've done all the other SEO that you can, and new, relevant content is frequently added to your site, and you say away from black-hat tactics, then I guess there are worse ways to spend 150euro though. Being listed certainly won't do you any harm.

• Advertisement

Agreed, but if it changed, then it might be an indicator that the Yahoo listing had helped, as it's one measurement of the popularity (in Google's eyes) of your site.

Unfortunately you won't be able to judge how much of an impact it has ... assuming of course you are employing other techniques ...

PR updates don't happen that regularly so you'll have no doubt done other things in the mean time.

Getting listed in there ... won't hurt

A couple of months ago. PR is one and I like to think that is not down to the Yahoo Directory alone.

A couple of months ago. PR is one and I like to think that is not down to the Yahoo Directory alone.

you PR is down to quality of links ...

The more high ranking sites to yours .. the higher you'll get ...

Even a few links to your site should drag you up to a 1

forbairt wrote: »
    you PR is down to quality of links ...

The more high ranking sites to yours .. the higher you'll get ...

Even a few links to your site should drag you up to a 1

Yes, that is what I was trying to say. PR1 is not really that impressive in the Google PR world, so it doesn't look like my Yahoo submission made much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Just measure your site's Google juice by its position in the SERPs for a suitable search query.

• Advertisement

Actually now I think about it, my ranking on Yahoo searches tends to be much better than on Google, so maybe my submission to the directory made a bit of a difference to Yahoo results (maybe, who can tell?.. not me anyhow)

Actually now I think about it, my ranking on Yahoo searches tends to be much better than on Google, so maybe my submission to the directory made a bit of a difference to Yahoo results (maybe, who can tell?.. not me anyhow)

checking your meta keywords ... the only one you're showing up for is dublin events ... and even at that its only on yahoo and its placed 141

creches .. a great keyword but ... where ? (yes you're 123 in google.com for it)

and what on earth is a hotles ? ... playing the funny game of people making typos ? (doesn't appear to be working in the listings)

forbairt wrote: »
    creches .. a great keyword but ... where ? (yes you're 123 in google.com for it)

My homepage isn't really the page that ranks, it's the other pages. If you put in Creches in Dublin you'll note I'm #6 in Google but #1 and #2 in Yahoo. I need to do a bit of work on the keywords/SEO for the homepage (and probably in general too)...
    checking your meta keywords ... the only one you're showing up for is dublin events ... and even at that its only on yahoo and its placed 141

I thought meta keywords were not really that important these days anyway and I haven't been paying to much attention to them lately, in fact I must of put those meta keywords up when I first thought of the site?
    and what on earth is a hotles ? ... playing the funny game of people making typos ? (doesn't appear to be working in the listings)

As for hotels or hotles, never had any joy getting people from those keywords... too much competition maybe... maybe this is getting a bit off topic though?

As for hotels or hotles, never had any joy getting people from those keywords... too much competition maybe... maybe this is getting a bit off topic though?

Fair enough sorry ... (wasn't attacking your site ... just trying to see what you were trying to rank for)

No worries Forbairt. To be honest you've been a whole lotta help to the site in all your posts so far. I think I probably owe you a few pints at this stage :). I'm still trying to get the site up to scratch, but think I'm still a fair bit off the Forbairt quality stamp of approval (but I'm improving).

ps.. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but I wouldn't be too keen posting my best ranking keywords and phrases on a public forum.

Advertisement