Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Own domain name

Options
  • 15-08-2008 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭

I currently get my .com from godaddy each year.

Is there any way I can buy it outright ??? so that I have more of an ownership of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

No, but why do you ask?

If it's to save the hassle of yearly registrations, you can pay up to 10 years in advance. You're basically just renting the thing.

If it's to have more freedom to switch hosts, you can "transfer" the domain to another host, or leave your domain with GoDaddy and point the nameservers at another host.

If it's something else, let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

cgarvey wrote: »
    If it's something else, let us know.
    Its for security of the name, spent a lot on branding, marketing etc.
    Just want to make sure, I have it locked in tight.
    I'll have a good read through the hosts T&C if its the only route,
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Not sure the exact legal status but I wouldn't say a domain name is owned, it's more like you get the licence to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You cannot buy a .com outright. You can "rent" or "lease" it for a period of upto 10 years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

blacknight wrote: »
    You cannot buy a .com outright. You can "rent" or "lease" it for a period of upto 10 years.
    ...and you also get first dips on it come renewal time (and even for a point after then)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

kbannon wrote: »
    ...and you also get first dips on it come renewal time (and even for a point after then)

True :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Its for security of the name, spent a lot on branding, marketing etc.
    Just want to make sure, I have it locked in tight.
    I'll have a good read through the hosts T&C if its the only route,
    cheers

I'd recommend a different registrar/reseller for the domain than your host, in that case. Read the T&C of both, in that case.

As seen as you're allocating value (beyond the actual cost) to the domain, follow that through in making sure your site is secure, that you don't spam / follow best email practices, etc.

What I'm getting at, is that you should avoid getting a fancy website done by a design company who put it all on a fancy CMS for you. 1 year later, no CMS security patches applied, and you cause spam/exploit trouble on your host. It happens, and it happens quite a bit.
    • Keep domain and hosting separate (a dispute with hosting company doesn't mean you potentially lose the domain.. you retain complete control of it).
    • Keep it secure / follow best practices
    • Watch out for renewal time. Use an email address that works, in your registration / set reminders for a month before it's due for renewal / keep an eye on it. Some people prefer 1 year (so renewals are a more frequent task, and you can shop around for the best deal), some prefer 10 years (don't have to worry about it for 10 years .. but make sure you remember in 10 years!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

cgarvey - Many of those things you suggested are generally good practice, but some of them are just a little weird.

This guy just wants to make sure he has the domain safe. All the has to do is renew it every few years. As long as he does that he'll be fine.

Advertisement