Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine flooding (the really bad kind!)

Options
  • 15-08-2008 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

I tried to go through a flood last weekend that was deeper than I thought, and I ended up getting water in the cylinders (car has a low air intake).

The engine wouldn't turn over on the starter, so I removed all the plugs and turned it over again. After a couple of reasonably impressive fountain effects, I sprayed a bit of WD40 down each cylinder, tuned it over a few more times (nothing was coming out of the cylinders at this stage) then replaced the plugs. It now turns over but still won't start. Just wondering if the more mechanically competent posters can suggest anything more that I can do, or if I've missed anything. Is there any way to test the plugs in case I've wrecked one or more of them?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Somone posted this link on another thread - it might point to some things to check:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolock

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There may be humidity still in the cylinders preventing a spark.
    Do the plugs spark if you turn engine over with them outside cylinder? (do not hold on to them)

after reading above wiki - go to mechanic

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

blastman wrote: »
    I tried to go through a flood last weekend that was deeper than I thought, and I ended up getting water in the cylinders (car has a low air intake).

The engine wouldn't turn over on the starter, so I removed all the plugs and turned it over again. After a couple of reasonably impressive fountain effects, I sprayed a bit of WD40 down each cylinder, tuned it over a few more times (nothing was coming out of the cylinders at this stage) then replaced the plugs. It now turns over but still won't start. Just wondering if the more mechanically competent posters can suggest anything more that I can do, or if I've missed anything. Is there any way to test the plugs in case I've wrecked one or more of them?

Thanks in advance.

God that's an awful pity, not a mechanic, just wanted to say best of luck with it. I'm sure garages all over the country are being flooded with calls with people having this problem(no pun intended).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

You need to bring it to a properly equipped and competent mechanic.

If you suck air into your cylinders, it compresses. If you suck water in, it won't compress and usually results in conrods breaking and other bad stuff happening.

If you actually took in enough water, your engine could be very badly damaged. Turning the engine over when the water's possibly still in the cylinders could make things worse.
    Also, what condition's your oil in - did water blow past the pistons and contaminate the oil?

Don't spray anything else into the cylinders. Contact a mechanic.

Edit: read Wibbler's hydrolock link (originally from Peasant, I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

There was a little water at the bottom of the oil when I let out a small amount (have a sump nut with a valve on it so I can let out a small amount at a time). The engine wasn't forcibly turned over when the plugs were still in place so I don't think any conrods have been bent (still have my fingers crossed on that one, though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

I know that when people drop outboard engine into water they change the engine oil and pour diesel down the bores to stop the engine rusting on the inside.

Defo check the spark as said. Also how do you know that the engine electronics are still ok.

Well, all other electrics are OK, so I'm presuming (I know, but it's all I can do at the moment).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

(1) Take the plugs out and leave them out for the day. You already said you pushed the bulk of the water out of the combustion chamber and got the impressive fountain effects, so my advice is to let the air in there for a while and see if any remaining water will drain down past the piston seals and evaporate out of the plughole. There is an oil filter vacuum device you can get in most motor factor shops that lets you draw out any fluid from a small oriface like a plug hole, (I use mine mainly for draining fuel tanks when someone puts petrol in a diesel and vice versa). It costs about 80-90 quid and if you can get one of these, you can drain the last drop of water out of the combustion chamber. You should drain the engine sump, change the oil filter and the oil.

Next thing, have you got a spark at the plugs??? The plugs should not be damaged by contact with water, so if you have a spark, you might not have a big problem on your hands.

Also, when turning over the engine, does the engine sound like normal as it is turning over, even though it will not start???

Cheers, Darragh, I think I will change the oil and filter all right (although I might not get a chance this weekend with the weather that's forecast!) Any tips on checking if I've got a spark at the plugs, preferably one that doesn't involve me being thrown 30 feet backwards if I do? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Your air filter is probably a soggy mess, and (assuming fuel injection of some sort) the air mass meter is probably well damp too.
    There are usually lots of things that need to be checked/dried out after such an adventure.

• Advertisement

Cheers, Darragh, I think I will change the oil and filter all right (although I might not get a chance this weekend with the weather that's forecast!) Any tips on checking if I've got a spark at the plugs, preferably one that doesn't involve me being thrown 30 feet backwards if I do? :)

It's easy enough, what kind of car is it??? I need to check if you have plug leads or a coil pack. Either way it's handy. Take off your air filter housing cover to let a bit of air in there! Let the air filter dry out and the air flow sensor...

Post car make model year and engine size up here. Assuming its a petrol???

Sorry for the delay, but I got it going in the meantime anyway. Woo-hoo! No knocking noises and smooth idle, so it seems all is well in the block at least *touches wood*. Some water ran out of the exhasut, but not a huge amount. I'll be changing the oil over the weekend anyway, hopefully.

Thanks for the pointers.

Water'll always come out of the exhaust - it's a consequence of the hot exhaust gasses meeting the cold exhaust system iirc.

Sorry for the delay, but I got it going in the meantime anyway. Woo-hoo! No knocking noises and smooth idle, so it seems all is well in the block at least *touches wood*. Some water ran out of the exhasut, but not a huge amount. I'll be changing the oil over the weekend anyway, hopefully.

Thanks for the pointers.

change the oil before you drive it anywhere!!!

Darragh29 wrote: »
    change the oil before you drive it anywhere!!!

+1

Meant to say that in my last post - you're acting a bit blasé about this blastman. You've put your engine in a position where it could get MAJORLY f'ed up. You need to make sure everything's hunky-dory before you start driving away.

If you've spared yourself bent bits, count yourself lucky, but still get it looked over by someone who knows what they're doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Boggins127

Id love ta know what car and engine size it is
    If you could tell me?

It's a 1.6 Honda VTEC engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

ah I see, you moved the intake for all that induction kit cold air malarky

I gets it now

good to hear its running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Boggins127

It's a 1.6 Honda VTEC engine.
    ahh gud stuff thnx sure jap cars never break lol

• Advertisement

woop wrote: »
    ah I see, you moved the intake for all that induction kit cold air malarky

I gets it now

good to hear its running
    Well, yeah, I wasn't actually planning to take it swimming at the time. ;)

Thanks, though, and to you, too, Boggins.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Got similar problem while my Clio 1.2 petrol was parked in QuickPark while on holidays ... Came back to the car last Thursday to find 10cm of water still on the carpet inside the car (and a good few around me). Car originally started but stalled after 2 minutes, was then impossible to restart. Called AXA breakdown who sent someone but again no luck. Car was finally towed to a Garage in Finglas where it still is .... The garage are currently checking petrol induction as it seems water got in with the petrol ...

I am still to find out if my Third-party/Theft insurance will cover for the flood/water damage and im also stuck paying for a rented car in the mean time!

Advertisement