Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to set up Joomla or other CMS?

Options
  • 15-08-2008 6:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hi there, so i registered a domain name which will ultimately be an information portal and list of things so I just need to be able to add in lots of categories and also have room to put in new articles or pieces periodically- news, etc. But it's not a personal blog.

So is Joomla the best for this? I need something cheap and easy to update and manage cause I won't be making any money from the website.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

check with your hosting provider if they have a 1 click install for your cms of choice.

I personally don't like joomla (various reasons ... see various other posts I've made on it) but a lot of people swear by joomla .. I swear at it :D

Really it depends on your knowledge ... you might find a simple wordpress install a lot easier and better for you in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

+1 sounds like wordpress is exactly what you may need.. if you dont have the one click install via your hosting the you will have to download the package and upload it to your server.. then you will have to set up a database.. then run the install file and point it at the database.. thats a very general overview.. if you need more help just ask..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Well I'm one of those who swear by Joomla, can't use anything else, with all the extentions, modules, components and plugins.

But it takes a bit of learning and the New 1.5 is a lot more user friendly.

It depends on your intentions and how big you want to make the website, there is other very good opensource CMS systems out there, Wordpress and CMS made simple are a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Thanks a mil. Yea I used a bit of Mambo before for an adminny job I had- found it really annoying and at the time I was advised Joomla could be a better option

Advertisement