Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are washout Summers very likely every year?

Options
  • 14-08-2008 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

I really like Ireland but the rain drives everyone in doors. The simple outdoor life I see abroad on hols of bbqs / lake swims etc looks so much healthier and more fun.

Is this it for Ireland, weeks of rain all the time? Or is it a bad run of luck?

Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Its swings and roundabouts, before last summer we had a string of better summers. Look back to the eighties and you'll see much cooler and wetter summers were the norm, but maybe not as wet as this year and last as an average.
    The weather is changeable, we've had a couple of wet summers, but then we had lots of wet summers in the past too and we had lots of drier ones too and we will have in the future.
    If it was the same every year it would be boring!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The million dollar question :)

It's really only been on '07 and '08 where we have had washouts in recent memory. And ironically, May has been always a good month unlike in previous years.

Last year some might say was down to El Nina or whatever its called, this year not so sure as it really been a mixed bag. However, its not as bad as last year, we did have nearly 2 weeks of sunshine in July(i remember as i was off work then :D) so it is unusual with all these rains but i don't see it as been a trend so far.

Its too early to tell but if the same happens next year, i'd say we have a trend on our hands of wet summers just like the late 90's were dry summers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

gurramok wrote: »
    The million dollar question :)

It's really only been on '07 and '08 where we have had washouts in recent memory. And ironically, May has been always a good month unlike in previous years.

Last year some might say was down to El Nina or whatever its called, this year not so sure as it really been a mixed bag. However, its not as bad as last year, we did have nearly 2 weeks of sunshine in July(i remember as i was off work then :D) so it is unusual with all these rains but i don't see it as been a trend so far.

Its too early to tell but if the same happens next year, i'd say we have a trend on our hands of wet summers just like the late 90's were dry summers.

as someone who was born on a farm , i am in regular contact with those who know most about the weather , farmers
    having spoken to quite a few of them , this summer is worse than last yr
    it rained for 50 days in a row last summer but it wasnt the same level of rain , there has been more rain in the last wk than in the entire month of augus last yr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

On hols in Czech at the mo and it seems people have a better life here and a lot is due to the weather think.

Outdoor pools etc. I love their lush gardens and green houses full of goodies.
    So many people grow their own food. Im easily pleased with a bbq and a home grown tomato. Def growing indoor cheery tomatoes next year.

If the weather is bad in Ireland entertainment needs to be under a roof which usually involves money to some business. We are not too interested in alchol. Wondering if some plastic material stretched from the back of the house a few yards would allow us have bbqs if it rained......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I remember summers being a lot drier when i was younger. I went camping a lot and i don't ever remember getting rained on. Obviously there was rain but the weather seemed to be more settled back then. You could get a week of dry weather. Even in recent years i have gone off on camping weekends with mates for the bank holiday weekends and have always been lucky. But for the past 2 years we've been washed out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

when i was quite young i remember two summers that were exceptionally wet(it seemed to rain every day) then the following year was hot and dry for the most part.

So, with this in mind we could all be complaining about the Summer of 2009 as being too hot and the poor farmers maybe forced into doing rain dances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

I think 1986 was the worst summer i experienced. Rained every day, windy too,Even had a hurricane, mind you that winter was very good, cold and snowy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I wish we could get hot summers and cold winters instead we get a sub tropical rain all-the time type of climate similar to the tropic except with cold rain. Friends of mine and his family recently moved to Australia and cited the weather as the main reason as he recently lost his job and suffers from repository illnesses he loves it and his wife is glad to be back in her home country. I can never see him returning to Ireland and I don't blame him.

mumhaabu wrote: »
    I wish we could get hot summers and cold winters instead we get a sub tropical rain all-the time type of climate similar to the tropic except with cold rain. Friends of mine and his family recently moved to Australia and cited the weather as the main reason as he recently lost his job and suffers from repository illnesses he loves it and his wife is glad to be back in her home country. I can never see him returning to Ireland and I don't blame him.

I live on and off now in canada, northern alberta, and we get the 4 seasons, You can see the change. Cold winters , and by jesus hot summers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Kippure wrote: »
    I live on and off now in canada, northern alberta, and we get the 4 seasons, You can see the change. Cold winters , and by jesus hot summers.

Stop making us jealous! What I'd give for decent snow and some sunshine and heat.

• Advertisement

Kippure wrote: »

yeah awesome :D

mind you Poland has 6 seasons!
    Yes thats right SIX, obviously two dont translate into English but they would be described as pre winter and pre spring each with different rain patterns !!

yeah awesome :D

mind you Poland has 6 seasons!
    Yes thats right SIX, obviously two dont translate into English but they would be described as pre winter and pre spring each with different rain patterns !!

lol

I will give it one more year here then exit to warmer climbs if the near non stop rain continues me thinks. Its great if you are an alco, but arse for the outdoors

From a humour thread ....

A curious fellow died one day and found himself in limbo waiting in a long, long line for judgment. As he stood there, he noticed that some souls were allowed to march right through the gates of heaven. Others were led over to Satan, who threw them into a lake of fire. Every so often, instead of hurling a poor soul into the fire, Satan would toss him or her to one side.
    After watching Satan do this several times, the fellow’s curiosity got the better of him. He strolled over and tapped Old Nick on the shoulder.
    “Excuse me, there, Your Darkness,” he said. “I’m waiting in line for judgment, and I couldn’t help wondering why you are tossing some people aside instead of flinging them into the fires of hell with the others?”
    “Ah,” Satan said with a grin. “Those are the Irish. I’m letting them dry out so they’ll burn.”

At least we have our sense of humour, and if it wasn't for the weather we'd have nothing to talk about!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

By the way, you are not alone, the Great Lakes region has also had a very wet summer. Toronto and other weather stations in Ontario have broken monthly records in both June and July and are well on the way for August as well. Oddly enough, the wettest summers on record in that part of the world were around 1842-46, the time of the Irish emigration wave from the potato famine. Now I'm pretty sure that in the agriculture of the 19th century this would have been a bad year for that crop, I suppose conditions are a lot different nowadays with more diversified farming and better management, but still, the climatic pattern seems to be similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

worded wrote: »
    On hols in Czech at the mo and it seems people have a better life here and a lot is due to the weather think.

Outdoor pools etc. I love their lush gardens and green houses full of goodies.
    So many people grow their own food. Im easily pleased with a bbq and a home grown tomato. Def growing indoor cheery tomatoes next year.

If the weather is bad in Ireland entertainment needs to be under a roof which usually involves money to some business. We are not too interested in alchol. Wondering if some plastic material stretched from the back of the house a few yards would allow us have bbqs if it rained......

You make a sort of decent point, especially the part I bolded. However I just looked up Prague weather and apparently its raining with temps around 18 degrees.

Right now in killney(south dubin) the weather is really nice.

The truth is that much of Europe has experienced a wet summer.

On to a bit of an extra point, I never understand people just ****ing off to somewhere like Australia because of the weather. I would understand if all your mates and family were moving but moving alone for sun is really fickle.

My family is thinking of heading to the US next summer, and renting out a place(if the euro remains the sam) which I think is a good idea, but I would much prefer living in dublin or ireland. Home is home, and even though we live in a time where some people begrudge people being proud or having love for their country its only natural that we feel connected to home.

My parents have emmigrated 4 times, and have returned on all occassions.

I think it would be cool if people moved more freely in europe though, i.e french people moving to Ireland and vice verse.

what a ramble.

You make a sort of decent point, especially the part I bolded. However I just looked up Prague weather and apparently its raining with temps around 18 degrees.

Right now in killney(south dubin) the weather is really nice.

The truth is that much of Europe has experienced a wet summer.

On to a bit of an extra point, I never understand people just ****ing off to somewhere like Australia because of the weather. I would understand if all your mates and family were moving but moving alone for sun is really fickle.

My family is thinking of heading to the US next summer, and renting out a place(if the euro remains the sam) which I think is a good idea, but I would much prefer living in dublin or ireland. Home is home, and even though we live in a time where some people begrudge people being proud or having love for their country its only natural that we feel connected to home.

My parents have emmigrated 4 times, and have returned on all occassions.

I think it would be cool if people moved more freely in europe though, i.e french people moving to Ireland and vice verse.

what a ramble.

Outdoor life is very limited when its raining all the time in Ireland.

Advertisement