Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant Question

Options
  • 14-08-2008 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hello folks,

I am about to embark on a M.litt which will lead to a PhD, starting in October. However I am a bit concerned regarding the continuation of my grant. The problem rests with the fact that I completed an M.Phil directly after my undergraduate studies and this finished last September. As far as I understand it one cannot get funding of the county council for a second qualification at a level at which one already received funding. Although I am definitely going for a PhD, the fact (as I understand it anyway) that its through an M.Litt will cost me my grant due to my M.Phil. Is this really the case? If so, is there any way around this? Could I switch to PhD straight away? Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 KyleBovine

Unfortunately I think that is the case. UCC English department (i can't speak for other departments) get around this problem by calling the m.litt which leads to phd "Phd-Track" so students can get funding.

There was a thread on here a week or two ago about how someone who did an MSc then went on to do a PhD, and even though they weren't on the PhD register for a year or so they still got the grant for the 1 year of the MSc and 3 years (1st - 3rd year) of the PhD. So from their experience, you can get it.

From the reading of the rules, I'd have agreed with you though. It's worth clarifying whether you'll be able to claim the grant once you jump onto the PhD register as KyleBovine suggested (since, of course, you'd be pursuing a Level 10 qualification then which would be progression).

As I mentioned above, you can only get a grant for 4 years for a postgraduate. I think you might only get 3 years of it for the PhD if you've done a masters though (saying that, I've no idea how part-time masters count in what I've said above).

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Thanks for the replies. I am a bit confused by a lot of the stipulations. On Student finance it says: "You are eligible to apply for a grant if you meet either of the following conditions:

* I am entering an approved postgraduate course* for the first time in the 2008/9 academic year

OR

* I am entering an approved postgraduate course* in 2008/9 to complete it (for the first time) after a break of one year or more, having previously entered an approved course."

Now It has been a year since my M.Phil ended. Does that mean I will get the grant? Also I am over 23. So will I now be able to get the mature student level of funding whereas previously I was awarded based on my parents income. Its all rather confusing. The study should be a breeze after this :D.

Ah I see. If there's been a break of one year you can be reassessed as to what category you're in, so you can be an 'independent mature student' assuming you fit the category, even if you weren't in that category for your previous qualifications.

So, assuming you're ok for the income and residency and the other rules after rules, well yes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

Thanks a million. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement