Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research on cost of horse ownership

Options
  • 14-08-2008 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I am researching the various costs of horse ownership so could everyone please give thier side of the story and give me annual, weekly or monthly costs (please say which) of vet fees, livery(all types-please specify and if you have extras or something left out please say), insurance, farrier, anything I'll need to take into consideration, if you want even tell me about the cost of your tack and horse (please say what tack and horse age, breed and gender etc.)
    Everything will help so please, please reply.
    Thank You.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

OK for me here it goes (per month) (im in Sweden)

Bedding+hay+hard feed: 150 eur
    Farrier: 40 eur
    Dosing/vaccinations: 20 eur
    insurance: 50 eur (this is insurance for medical and death of horse)

I don't pay for the rent of the stable.

These are the basics. You need to factor in other costs like equipment and other ancillaries.

It's possible to keep a horse cheaply. First of all, stay away from the larger livery yards. They cost an arm and leg. Try and source bedding and feed locally and of small producers. Livery yards here make a profit of between 100-120 eur/month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 *!horseyness!*

thanks......do you know what the average part livery charge is per month? How much do your dentist charges add up? i'm not sure if it's the law in sweden but if it is what did your horse passport cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

thanks......do you know what the average part livery charge is per month? How much do your dentist charges add up? i'm not sure if it's the law in sweden but if it is what did your horse passport cost?
    Why do you need to find out all this info? Everyone is going to have different costs, no one single person's cost of owning a horse(s) is going to be the same as another. Its almost like asking 'how long is a piece of string'?
    From my own personal experiences, i couldnt give you a figure for my horses, as my costs can and do vary from month to month.

MDFM wrote: »
    Why do you need to find out all this info? Everyone is going to have different costs, no one single person's cost of owning a horse(s) is going to be the same as another. Its almost like asking 'how long is a piece of string'?
    From my own personal experiences, i couldnt give you a figure for my horses, as my costs can and do vary from month to month.

Less of the attitude please - the OP is trying to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Less of the attitude please - the OP is trying to learn.

its not attitude, i was simply probing further and stating my point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭AngelicRaindrop

well i dont have riding horses at the minute, only broodmares, but in the last 6months for one mare ive spent 500 on scans and vet appointments, 500 on a stallion, about 60 on headcollars and medication for the foal, 45 per month for shoeing (fore legs shod, hind legs dressed no shoes) food is about 20 a month, as they are out on grass. cost 120 to have a foal registered for a passport. now days they have to be DNA'd and microchipped so the chipping is extra.

breeding really is an expensive business now ive sat down and thought about it.

add to this one of the foals needs a hernia operation in Septemeber

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

There was a thread on this a while back; here's the link:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055195502

Like the other posters mentioned, it depends on a lot of variables, and no 2 months are every going to be the same! Cost will be dictated by the type of horse you buy (competiton or pleasure), the type of livery you want, and where you live. Sometimes the cost of livery in the east may be more expensive than the west, etc (but this isn't always the case, so don't take it as gospel!). It would be a good idea to make enquiries to different establishments to see what they offer, costs, etc.

Then you've got to factor in vet, farrier, etc. Most of these topics are dealt with in the above thread... There's another one entitled 'How much does it cost'
    link: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055317111
    so hopefully you'll find them helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Good thing you can be sure of is that as the price of fuel rise so will livery!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Good thing you can be sure of is that as the price of fuel rise so will livery!

I know only too well, mine went up recently!!! My poor bank balance took a hit!

What also went up were farriers fees and Vets fees too, seems the cost of getting around is getting to them. :(

Advertisement