Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To be there

Options
  • 14-08-2008 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hi Folks,

I have wrote this song one day out of the blue, I always knew i wanted to put pen to paper and when least expected it came to me. i have gone back to it many time to change it and think that I have finally finished it.

I would love to put an arrangement behind it, if anybody wants to try it - its got an upbeat mellow feeling behind it.

Can i have your thoughts on the lyrics? the song is called "to be there"

Well I tell you a story, from the start, it aint got no end
    A flame that’s burning away
    some drive an passion, how much do I care
    From above the light is shining

It’s taken so many times to light that flame
    Fuelled with spirit knockin on you’re door
    So much vice and not enough virtue
    Almost took the flame away

Chorus
    To be there, to be there,
    Looking outside, you wanna get there
    I know, maybe they don’t know
    I know, maybe they don’t care.

I never thought your door was always open
    Staring back, remembering them days
    hope there gone, gone forever

Don’t let it die away, keep on knocking
    So hard on yourself it aint the right way
    Enjoy, walking through the doorway
    These are the words of a northern star

chorus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

*Sigh* Boards signed me out so my reply was wasted... Anyway, I'll try to remember the post as best as i can.

I wouldn't call it to be there, though it has grown on me as a title. I was going to call my version "Old Flame (Dying young)". I'm not sure why. Anyway, here is my version on your lyrics, I don't know why I did them, but I did. Tell me what you think. I didn't like the rythem in your one, it doesn't seem to flow. Maybe thats just me. Anyway, this is the first song I've written ever thats finished and I quite like it. Can I bring it over to a friends house and make a full song out of it??? (He may use it in his band or what not is that ok too?) In my version imagine an Artic monkeys / Reverend and the Makers type style.

Time for a story, told from the start,
    A burning flame, thought never ending,
    Seen from my eyes, the light is blinding.

It’s taken so many times, to light this fire,
    Just fuelled with, my spirit and desire,
    As much vice, as little virtue,
    Dont take the flame away,
    As it's all I have, I have left of you.

Chorus:

To be there, to be there,
    You don't want me to be there.
    I know, I know,
    You don’t care.

Never going back,
    Nor remembering those days
    Just glad they're gone,
    And gone for good!

Don’t let it die, not right now anyway,
    Just give me one more chance, love,
    I'll swear, I'll make it work,
    Else I'll keep knocking,
    And never be on my way!

Chorus x 2

This is the basic jist of what I was going to write. I can't remember two lines. (There's more I've forgotten.)

*EDIT*

I wanted to post this so I don't loose it again as I enjoyed writing that and now to criticise your lyrics now! :p Seriously though your lyrics are fine, but my only complaint is that I don't get how they go rythemly. Whats the song about? I don't get that part either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Ready to Rock

Hey there,

for sure, please have a go at it and if you can record it and put it somewhere I could have a listen, it would be great.

the song is pretty much about struggling to play music and a few past guidances were put in there, one has passed away and the other is a mate.

I do like your edited version. I play guitar and am at it a few years and can be pretty ****e at it for the most part but I have a new metronome that will help me improve big time.

Where abouts are you based?

Laters
    R2R

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

Hey there,

for sure, please have a go at it and if you can record it and put it somewhere I could have a listen, it would be great.

If we get the song done, most certainly. Though don't expect anything, anytime soon...
    the song is pretty much about struggling to play music and a few past guidances were put in there, one has passed away and the other is a mate. I do like your edited version.

Actually, now that you mention it I can see it in the lyrics more clearly...

I play guitar and am at it a few years and can be pretty ****e at it for the most part but I have a new metronome that will help me improve big time.

Where abouts are you based?

Laters
    R2R

I'm based around Limerick/Cork region. I take it your Dublin. Everyone on boards is from Dublin...
    Burial wrote:
    A burning flame, thought never ending,

I can't remember what I was going to write in the third line, and it's bugging me..

A burning flame, thoughts never ending,
    (I can't remember this line)

I'll try to write a new song tonight, and hopefully post the lyrics on boards tomorrow. So I'd like some feedback on that too if possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

well man, just put a few chords to ur song der. can i record it n il put it up on myspace in hopefully a day r two with some drum tracks thrown in. be warned, d sound quality wont b great tho!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Ready to Rock

I'd be delighted to hear your version of it! Look forward to the link of myspace.com

Cheers
    R2R

• Advertisement
Advertisement