Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will I have to pay for a US PhD?

Options
  • 14-08-2008 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

I want to do a PhD related to computational science/applied mathematics at an American university. I've read lots of stuff about funding, etc., but it is not clear to me whether I will actually spend more money doing the PhD (tuition fees, living expenses, ...) than I get in funding.

I'm pretty sure in Ireland the stipend PhD students receive is meant to cover (or at least mostly cover) living expenses, so is it the same in the US, even as an international student?

Also, I'm interested to know how competitive I would be in applying to graduate schools: I got 66% in my degree from Trinity, am doing an MSc this year, got full marks in the Quantitative section of the GRE (800 points) and 730 points in the Verbal section (which puts me in the 99th percentile for that section). A lot of the places I have looked at don't require the GRE Subject Test, so I probably won't do that.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

fluppet wrote: »
    I want to do a PhD related to computational science/applied mathematics at an American university. I've read lots of stuff about funding, etc., but it is not clear to me whether I will actually spend more money doing the PhD (tuition fees, living expenses, ...) than I get in funding.

I'm pretty sure in Ireland the stipend PhD students receive is meant to cover (or at least mostly cover) living expenses, so is it the same in the US, even as an international student?

Also, I'm interested to know how competitive I would be in applying to graduate schools: I got 66% in my degree from Trinity, am doing an MSc this year, got full marks in the Quantitative section of the GRE (800 points) and 730 points in the Verbal section (which puts me in the 99th percentile for that section). A lot of the places I have looked at don't require the GRE Subject Test, so I probably won't do that.

Thanks.
    its all about your potential supervisor and his funding.
    Find some guys that are doing intersting stuff, contact them and say you are interested in a project.

You should get funding but you will be working as a teaching asssitant as well which is no bad thing.

My only worry would be your lack of a first but make contact, show your interest and that should be enough.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I personally know at least one person who got a 2.1 and got funding. Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭fluppet

Thanks for the replies.

So will I know whether I will receive funding or not before I have to accept the position?

I've heard some people suggest that as an international student it is easier to get funding (or even acceptance) at private universities rather than at public universities. This seems logical, as public universities are reliant on state/federal support which is usually reserved for domestic students, but do you think it is pronounced enough that I should let it influence where I apply to?

Also, I was a bit surprised that you both indicated my 2:1 might be a bit of a problem. I thought that with the MSc and good GRE grades it might make-up for it. I wasn't planning on applying to places like MIT, but I thought I would have a very good chance at second-tier places like UT Austin... Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

Whether you get funding along with your offer will depend on how much money the department and your supervisor has, as well as the quality of your application (less cynically: how good you are). GRE scores are unequally used across schools, I'm lead to believe it's just something you need to have not messed up. Showing a strong research track record, possibly with publications is your best bet. It is almost understood that all foreign students get funding for PhDs, and in many high tech programs most of the students are foreign (engineering for one).

However, you should be applying to a number of schools - it is suggested on the order of 6 or so, and so you should get funding with at least some of those. With the others, you should send a frank email to professors explaining that you would love to attend and work for them but you can't possibly afford the fees, would they possibly have a TAship & RAship opportunity available. Don't limit yourself to supervisors who you strictly find appealing in terms of areas of interest, you can always and easily change once you get your foot in the door.

There is also a second round of fellowship offers after the strict deadline from people turning down their offers, less so for tier 1 schools, more so for tier 2 and 3, so bear that in mind if you need to start pleading your case.

Best of luck with it!

Advertisement