Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike License

Options
  • 14-08-2008 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Can anyone clear this up for me fully- Ive been trying to find this info on the web for a week now.

With a full B drivers license are you licensed to drive a catergory M moped?
    It says that you are on the slip that came with the license but it doesnt say to what extent i.e. full or provisional. Do L plates need to be worn?

Very confused

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I believe its no longer automatically printed on your licence, but you are entitled to it - http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1999/en/si/0352.html states a Cat B licence is to be considered a B, M and W licence. It would be a full licence.

Now, my own licence hasn't got M filled in, it does have W... and I don't have endorsement 103 which bars for you from cat M on a B licence. Possibly Kildare assume a young lad needs a tractor licence or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This should really be in Learning to Drive forum.

Cat M is no longer given out when you pass the car (class B) test. Since approx 2005. If you got your full B before then you have the M entitlement for evermore.

If you have a full class B licence with NO code 103 on it, then you are entitled to ride a moped provided it is under 50cc AND restricted to 45km/h (a lot aren't, and need a proper bike licence)

Provided you satisfy these conditions it's a full licence, not a learner permit, no L-tabard required and passengers permitted (but not advisable, and your insurance may not permit it) 50cc's are NOT allowed on motorways.

You're only subject to the learner permit restrictions if you are riding under the learner permit. E.g you could have a full class B with M entitlement, and a learner permit A1. You are entitled to ride a moped under the A1 learner permit, but because you have the full class M entitlement, the learner permit restrictions don't apply provided the bike is <50cc AND <45km/h

Edit: Tractors?? Class W. Still an automatic entitlement with B, I believe.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ninja900 wrote: »

Yeah, I knew you were entitled to it but for whatever reason mine is the only licence in the family with it printed - and its a 2008 print (washing machine...). Mothers and brothers are under medical certs so clearly its out for them, Cat B only; but bother sisters, other brother and father are missing the printing for Cat W.

Hence my rather lame joke about KCC thinking I looked like a farmer or whatever :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 glenn_lfc

Sorry!

Thanks for clearing that up. Got my license 10/05 but no code 103.

Good to know I am fully licensed on it because I told the insurance I was. The bikes <50cc so thats grand

Dont have anything printed other than on category B. that still ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You are OK if you have a full car licence WITHOUT the code 103 printed on it.

There used to be boxes on the licence for classes M and B. AFAIK, only the main classes (i.e. the ones recognised in all EU countries) are printed. (so what do they print on your full licence if you actually pass a class W test in a tractor???)

N.B. Because Class M and Class W are not EU-harmonised (and so, can be given away 'for free' by passing a different class's test) they are only 100% valid in the Republic of Ireland. Other countries might be ok with you relying on the M or W, or might not be.

The reason they did away with the automatic class M entitlement for car drivers (for tests passed after ~2005) is because there is now a different theory test for bikes, and bikes REALLY need to have their own test to get a bike licence. The skills involved in driving a car don't qualify you to ride a bike.

Definitely get some good motorbike training, even though legally you're already qualified...!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,774 ✭✭✭SeanW

Cat M is no longer given out when you pass the car (class B) test. Since approx 2005. If you got your full B before then you have the M entitlement for evermore.

If you have a full class B licence with NO code 103 on it, then you are entitled to ride a moped provided it is under 50cc AND restricted to 45km/h (a lot aren't, and need a proper bike licence)

Provided you satisfy these conditions it's a full licence, not a learner permit, no L-tabard required and passengers permitted (but not advisable, and your insurance may not permit it) 50cc's are NOT allowed on motorways.

You're only subject to the learner permit restrictions if you are riding under the learner permit. E.g you could have a full class B with M entitlement, and a learner permit A1. You are entitled to ride a moped under the A1 learner permit, but because you have the full class M entitlement, the learner permit restrictions don't apply provided the bike is <50cc AND <45km/h

Question. I took out my first full Cat B (car drivers) license at the beginning of February this year, so it would be after whatever change in regulations, but my license does not have a 103 restriction on it. What is my legal position with regard to mopeds?

You are OK if you have a full car licence WITHOUT the code 103 printed on it.

There used to be boxes on the licence for classes M and B. AFAIK, only the main classes (i.e. the ones recognised in all EU countries) are printed. (so what do they print on your full licence if you actually pass a class W test in a tractor???)

Here, I passed my driving test AFTER 2005 - and don't have a code 103; and I've a 2008 licence stock licence (due to a washing incident) with both Cat M and Cat W boxes on it...

Advertisement