Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importance of Laptops

Options
  • 14-08-2008 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey
    Prob doing Biomedical engineering next year.
    I was wondering if i would need a laptop, and would i use it regularly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

You don't need a laptop but they are very useful. There's plenty of computers on campus and you'll be able to use those when you need to. But around exam time in can be nice to have your own so that you won't have to wait etc.

As for using it regularly, that depends how good you are with computers and how much you'd be inclined to use it anyway.
    Academically, the only thing I use my computer for is typing essays (which thankfully didn't happen that much for me last year). Aside from that, I prefer to handwrite all of my calculations etc. for chemistry and just drop them in to the tutorial organiser if needed.

This post is a little ambivalent so:
    Laptops are helpful. But you'll definitely survive without one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

As your man says, you'll survive without one but I'd definitely recommend buying one even if its the only thing you can save up for this summer. Especially if you're living away from home as you can play music, movies, games etc on it plus emails and all that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I would definitely recommend getting one. I went two years without one and did final year with it, it was a great assist. the bulk of your lecture notes will be available online. some textbooks, almost all journals and academic papers can also be obtained online. it's also much easier being able to do your assignments wherever and whenever you want. you'll survive without one no bother, but it's a great benefit not having to lug books and print off papers all the time, just take the lappy. really handy when you want to take your coursework home with you for a weekend. it saves hassle and time.

not to mention google is the greatest study tool ever invented. it's great to be able to just turn to your laptop when studying if you need anything clearly defined, rather than having to make a trek to the computer suites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DouglasWinthrow

I would definitely recommend a laptop.

Its an invaluable way of sorting your notes and really takes a considerable amount of stress away during exam time. The only thing i cant emphasise enough is that you back up any notes you store on it , espeically if they are notes that you yourself made in class and wont be able to get from the online learning system.

Basically , if you can type well , i would even recommend taking it to class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

As your man says

I feel so loved!!! :D:D:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Ya laptops are handy to have but essential. I just hope the computer services will do something to accommodate all the 1st years coming in with shiny new dells, finding a socket can be hard at times especially in the library. They can also be very distracting when your trying to study. You may find that you have been in the library for 2 hours but have accomplished nothing due to getting hooked into something online, while you were checking your email!

Advertisement