Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Page Titles using keywords naturally

Options
  • 14-08-2008 11:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

hey,

Just a quick question on how Google treats keywords in Page Titles. Probably a silly one. For example if trying to rank for Football News, Football Fashion, using a page title such as "Get the latest football news & fashion". Will google only count "football news" as a keyword or will it put any weight on "football fashion" i.e. even though a modifer is used between them.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv seen a huge amount of websites misusing the title tag and treating it as a keyword tag. Not sure how sucesfull it is, or how Google treats it tho. Its not covered any SEO handbook iv ever came across!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭monkey24

Yeah its an interesting one. I like the thought of having a call to action in the Page Title including one or two keywords rather than just generically listing 5 keywords with a , or | between them.
    Sully wrote: »
    Iv seen a huge amount of websites misusing the title tag and treating it as a keyword tag. Not sure how sucesfull it is, or how Google treats it tho. Its not covered any SEO handbook iv ever came across!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

Google will recognize the two phrases you are mentioning especially if it finds content relating to the two separate phrases on your site. This will however dilute the effectiveness of both slightly. Usually i try to keep my title tags short and sweet without having filler English such as "Get the latest" and just plonk in the keyword, which seems to work well. The more text you have the more filtered it becomes, although it's possible that google pays little attention to superlatives such as "latest" anyway.

Advertisement