Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dublin Accommodation Battle

Options
  • 14-08-2008 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭

Hi im a 23 year old male young professional moving to Dublin to start work towards the end of September.

I am living in Sligo at the moment and it is difficult for me to come up to dublin on short notice and places seem to go really quick. Does anyone know anyone that is looking for people. Sorry mod if this isnt allowed im not sure of the rules on this.

I am looking to live with people in their twenties in Ranalagh and the area around there. I am already checking on daft by the way so no need to suggest that.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Cronos- the big problem is Ranelagh/Rathmines is where all the students from Milltown/UCD/TCD mostly tend to try to stay. You are competing against tens of thousands for accommodation in that particular area- and the battle for student accommodation has already commenced. In short- no, it doesn't matter where you look- you will need to be physically present and in a position to put down a deposit.

If you broaden the area that you're willing to consider (think Harolds Cross, Terenure, Dundrum, Goatstown, Stillorgan, Dunlaoghaire (and down the DART line to Shankill/Bray)), you might have better success. If you are insistent on Ranelagh/Rathmines- bite the bullet and queue with everyone else.........

You are also incredibly unfortunate with your timing- its by and far the busiest time of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

cronos wrote: »
    I am looking to live with people in their twenties in Ranalagh and the area around there. I am already checking on daft by the way so no need to suggest that.
    Smccarrick makes a good point there. In my experience Ranelagh has the strongest rental market in Dublin at present, you probably couldn't pick a more difficult place to find accommodation, and unfortunately you have probably picked the worst time of year too.

I'd highly recommend you try a little further out as suggested above - Dundrum and Stillorgan are nice areas and both have a considerable number of new apartment developments. Obviously it depends on where you will be working, and your budget. Investigate the transport links to your workplace, you might find somewhere a little further out that will still be convenient for getting to work. I find this site useful:

http://justroutes.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Ya I might just have to bite the bullet but most places dont want students they want professionals as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

cronos wrote: »
    Ya I might just have to bite the bullet but most places dont want students they want professionals as far as I know.
    True, but there's a very high demand among professionals to live in Dublin 6 (Ranelagh, Milltown, Rathgar) too, as it's a desirable location, but even those on good money will be unlikely to afford to buy there (still at least 900k+ for a 3 bed mid terrace).

Bear in mind that many professionals have been living in "student-style" accommodation in these areas for the last few years, due to lack of supply and high rents, while some students have been able to afford professional-level rents due to parental support. Although the rental situation has improved in the last 9 months, the influx of students into bedsits and shared houses still has a knock-on affect on the professional market since there is some overlap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

True, but there's a very high demand among professionals to live in Dublin 6 (Ranelagh, Milltown, Rathgar) too, as it's a desirable location, but even those on good money will be unlikely to afford to buy there (still at least 900k+ for a 3 bed mid terrace).

Bear in mind that many professionals have been living in "student-style" accommodation in these areas for the last few years, due to lack of supply and high rents, while some students have been able to afford professional-level rents due to parental support. Although the rental situation has improved in the last 9 months, the influx of students into bedsits and shared houses still has a knock-on affect on the professional market since there is some overlap

Can you tell me what the price should be for a room in a nice house in Ranalagh. But the room is fairly small kinda a box room

• Advertisement
Advertisement