Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To The Library!!!

Options
  • 13-08-2008 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

:rolleyes: Well all, just a though does anybody else find/think that Heuston Station is quieter than the county louth library? After spending a number of days there i really have to say that it is an awfully loud place to get any work done, between mobiles/office phones/general chit chat(not even at hushed voices, might i add)/ children running about it, like a playground....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

DamoDLK wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Well all, just a though does anybody else find/think that Heuston Station is quieter than the county louth library? After spending a number of days there i really have to say that it is an awfully loud place to get any work done, between mobiles/office phones/general chit chat(not even at hushed voices, might i add)/ children running about it, like a playground....

Ha too right.

I had the joy of working there last summer :o oh how I got slagged about that but it was good money.

I hadn't been in the place since I was about 5 and when I started I thought it was going to miles ahead of my uni Library turned out to be the other way around.

I tried to study for my repeats in there (while at work :D) but it was way to loud.

Place is a mess.

Haven't been in the place since I left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

eamoss wrote: »
    I had the joy of working there last summer :o oh how I got slagged about that but it was good money.

I hadn't been in the place since I was about 5 and when I started I thought it was going to miles ahead of my uni Library turned out to be the other way around.

I tried to study for my repeats in there (while at work :D) but it was way to loud.

A bit off topic but how did you apply for a job in the library eamoss? I always thought of it as a dream job - you get paid for standing behind a desk all day, checking in a book every now and again. :D I use the library every now and again myself but like you said its not great for academic books at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yeah stopped going about 3 yrs back...used to be regular to head in and get a book, have a quick look at a paper, but even for the like of that it was stupidly noisy. Personally I think having net access in the place was a bad idea...any PCs should have been sectioned off. I'd hate to be in the situation that I was trying to actually study in the place or use it to research something.
    As for mobiles; heard a mobile go off at a funeral the other week. A f*cking funeral. Some people have no thought for anyone but themselves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

phenomenon wrote: »
    A bit off topic but how did you apply for a job in the library eamoss? I always thought of it as a dream job - you get paid for standing behind a desk all day, checking in a book every now and again. :D I use the library every now and again myself but like you said its not great for academic books at all

I applied to Louth County Council for a student summer job, I was ment to have an interview but I was in Spain at the time so couldn't go but my Dad knew the person who was head of the Library very well and I got the job. Was also late starting because I was still in Spain:D.

Oh yea working behind the desk is a doss of a job and dealing with people, it was the only thing I actually liked about working there.

I also got all the heavy lifting jobs as I was the youngest male on staff which wasn't too much fun. For the last few weeks I got a shíitty job of removing books from stock which was really boring.

Also no hot young girls go to the library :( though can remember one hot 16 year old coming in all the time :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

eamoss wrote: »
    I applied to Louth County Council for a student summer job, I was ment to have an interview but I was in Spain at the time so couldn't go but my Dad knew the person who was head of the Library very well and I got the job. Was also late starting because I was still in Spain:D.

Oh yea working behind the desk is a doss of a job and dealing with people, it was the only thing I actually liked about working there.

I also got all the heavy lifting jobs as I was the youngest male on staff which wasn't too much fun. For the last few weeks I got a shíitty job of removing books from stock which was really boring.

Ah so your auld fella pulled a few strings, I smell nepotism ;) :pac: Cheers for the info, I might apply for the job next summer. Beats bloody barwork (long hours, **** pay, drunken customers). I didn't even know the county council had a student summer jobs scheme
    Also no hot young girls go to the library :( though can remember one hot 16 year old coming in all the time :P

I imagine the library attracts the more nerdier females in our society!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Nerd girls are 'teh hawt' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Well, not necessarily, around college re sit exams in the autum theres always loads of people about, some of the women that go in aren't too bad infact.! nerdy? they are repeating exams... so the chances are that they have been partying all year around and missed a few exams... they'd be the best of craic methinks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

Phototoxin wrote: »
    Nerd girls are 'teh hawt' :pac:

Quoted for truth, my nerd girlfriend worked in that library last summer ;)

Advertisement