Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish TV in UK

Options
  • 13-08-2008 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

I moved to Glasgow last year for work and sometimes miss out on things like sports etc. which are not picked up by SKY sports or UK channels.

I was wondering, if i got a freesat or DTT would i be able to access Irish channels on my TV?

Otherwise can anyone suggest alternative methods for me to get RTE etc in Glasgow?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

1. Get some one living in ireland to use a slingbox to stream rte over to you
    2. Find an irish proxy so you can watch rte.ie
    3. Get an irish viewing card for sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Scottish paddy

Well RTÉ International starts on Freesat sometime before 17/03/09, but it's unlikely that it will carry much sport (rights issues) although you may get "The road to Croker" etc. You could get a $ky card and then tell them you have moved to Northern Ireland, benefits are you are billed in £ you get BBC's ITV's and RTE's. But as jmccrohan says if you want everything including soccer then its got to be a RoI $KY card unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭bf1

jmccrohan wrote: »
    1. Find an irish proxy so you can watch rte.ie

If anyone knows one that works, could you PM me :)

Moving to Wales shortly so it would be handy for watching the Panel ect. :)
    Thanks
    bf1

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

bf1 wrote: »
    If anyone knows one that works, could you PM me :)

Moving to Wales shortly so it would be handy for watching the Panel ect. :)
    Thanks
    bf1
    Find a student in TCD that is willing to share their login details.

TCD have a connection in excess of 1 Gbps so the connection would be more or less seamless.

All irish colleges have gigabit connections. I'm just not sure which ones operate proxies tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭bf1

Ah ya, had that below in WIT :) Don't see how I could use it as a proxy though.. as we only used our login for exam timetables and accessing notes posted by lecturers..

• Advertisement

bf1 wrote: »
    Ah ya, had that below in WIT :) Don't see how I could use it as a proxy though.. as we only used our login for exam timetables and accessing notes posted by lecturers..

Thats cause you are just logging into the normal wit website, not a proxy. A proxy is nothing like the normal website login.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Moved to Satellite, because even Iron Brew and Fried Mars Bars won't help to pickup terrestrial Irish TV in Scotland.

watty wrote: »
    Moved to Satellite, because even Iron Brew and Fried Mars Bars won't help to pickup terrestrial Irish TV in Scotland.
    Iron Brew and Fried Mars Bars :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Those crazy Scottish folks and their crazy diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Thats "Irn Bru" watty ;)

And as for the deep fried mars bar fallacy....apparently there is more sold in Ireland than in Scotland - mind you I have never found them on sale in Scotland...although they were indeed created in Dundee or something....

Anyway, sorry for the irrelevance OP :)

• Advertisement

setanta5 wrote: »
    I moved to Glasgow last year for work and sometimes miss out on things like sports etc. which are not picked up by SKY sports or UK channels.

I was wondering, if i got a freesat or DTT would i be able to access Irish channels on my TV?

Otherwise can anyone suggest alternative methods for me to get RTE etc in Glasgow?

which sports do you miss - hurling and GAA are on setanta in the uk are they not? There is a couple of sports bars in Glasgow that would show them if so.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Iron Brew and Fried Mars Bars :confused:

He means Irn Bru, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Thats "Irn Bru" watty ;)

And as for the deep fried mars bar fallacy....apparently there is more sold in Ireland than in Scotland - mind you I have never found them on sale in Scotland...although they were indeed created in Dundee or something....

Anyway, sorry for the irrelevance OP :)

Yes.. but didn't think our Southern Brethern and Sistern could read the Northern Spelling. I had Irn Bru regular as a kid and it does faintly taste of Girders. Never had the Fried Mars Bar. I believe despised in Inverness and Edinburgh. The confection is likely mostly in Glasgow and Belfast. I expect more in Belfast these days, as desert for a greasy Ulster fry tucked into a take out fried Soda.

Yes.. but didn't think our Southern Brethern and Sistern could read the Northern Spelling. I had Irn Bru regular as a kid and it does faintly taste of Girders. Never had the Fried Mars Bar. I believe despised in Inverness and Edinburgh. The confection is likely mostly in Glasgow and Belfast. I expect more in Belfast these days, as desert for a greasy Ulster fry tucked into a take out fried Soda.

I'm a Glasgow boy and never saw them on sale there (thankfully for my waist line - but i do miss my deep fried pizzas!)...they are on sale in Scotland still though, Aberdeen and Dundee I think - students love em apparently. I managed to get glass bottles of the bru in Sydney but sadly all I can get here is the plastic stuff which is not the same, again thankfully for my waistline!

There was a special on sale a while back, a foot long sausage, wrapped in donner kebab meat and battered and deep fried...it had something like 1500 calories in it and was sold with a health warning...don't think it is still on sale though :)

Again - sorry OP!!

Ye have the whole forum to yourselves :P
    http://www.boards.org.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Ye have the whole forum to yourselves :P
    http://www.boards.org.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85

Aye, there's only 7 threads there, one of which is the charter and another that says "It's awful quiet in here!"

C'mon you ex-pats and UK folk, start posting on baords.org.uk, we don't bite you know and we have a number of regular posters. We need more people from outside the M25 London area though!! :)

Oh yeah, I can't wait for RTÉ International to start broadcasting. I watch a lot of RTÉ shows on the web and listen to RTÉ Radio 1 a bit too.

Advertisement