Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Attention New Players - Fancy joining a new astro team??** Boardaeux needs you!

Options
  • 13-08-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭

spoke to Des, asked him about a new thread, he said this was a good idea.

so, we get alot of people coming on here looking for games and every year, we get 3-4 new players coming on board, its that time again.

We expect to loose 3-4 players from our squad for various reasons, same happens every year. if your on here for the first time, I will give you a little background of what we do and need.

* We have a squad of about 17/18 at the moment. Des, our manager wants another 3 or 4 players to bring back up to the 20-mark anyway.
    * This will be our fifth season, up until this one, we had made good progess, finishing 10th, then 7th, then 4th. However, we slipped back this year and lost our progress and finished 7th.We have been hit by Injuries bigtime, with most of our big players missing at least half the games each. at times, we had to bring in mates to make up 11, which tells you how much we got hit. I also think we may have been put in a standard 1 or 2 leagues above there we were (division 5, as opposed to 9 last season).

* We need i think judging on the players that may not be able to play next year, a new Keeper, Right footed Full Back/ Center Back and a Central Midfielder who can dominate games. we also need a bit of strength and power in these positions.

* there are 18 games in the season, you are expected to make 15/16 of those, once you commit, you are part of the team and thats it.

* we play in the dublin astro league, it is excellently well organised, as are we, mainly due to Des our manager. feel free to visit the site at www.astro.ie to see pitch venues (mostly southside). we have a sponsor who has provided us with 2 full kits.

* it costs €120 for the season, which is very cheap considering it costs €1700(maybe more) to enter the team, then we have laundry, balls, bills etc.

* we will have 3 or 4 friendlies, some training sessions, before the season starts. we aim to have a friendly next week and/or the week after also.

* you must be a player that will improve the team, if your confident in your own ability to do so, please join. we have a decent squad, with some very good players.

please post here if your interested in becoming a boardeaux player for the coming season. then we will do the rest.

Me and Des are currently banned off the forum, Sav/Martin/Mikie/Simon or who ever is allowed to post (im not sure) can you please post this on the main soccer forum also??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'll be around for three games later on in the season if that's any use. No problem transferring a few quid over to cover some fees if needs be. No rush on letting me know but I'll be around in Feb if you're stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

i already posted in a previous thread and leixlip red was kind enough to reply!!
    i'll only be able to play every saturday for my grass team from now on, so im not sure yet if the manager will even want me at all this year!!
    im probably 99% certain i'd be able to play for the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I just stuck it up on the main Soccer forum.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

taidghbaby wrote: »
    i already posted in a previous thread and leixlip red was kind enough to reply!!
    i'll only be able to play every saturday for my grass team from now on, so im not sure yet if the manager will even want me at all this year!!
    im probably 99% certain i'd be able to play for the year!

Well as I said just keep an eye out on here for developments. Des, our manager, is off the scene for a few weeks so not sure what will be happening in short term. Possibly friendly next week if Ed gets that going.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Well as I said just keep an eye out on here for developments. Des, our manager, is off the scene for a few weeks so not sure what will be happening in short term. Possibly friendly next week if Ed gets that going.

ya, im pretty sure theres a friendly next week. ill start the thread tomorrow.

anyway lads, all new players welcome. and to existing players, feel free to bring mates to the games coming up, i expect at least 4 or 5 matches anyway.

EDIT : Thread started, ill PM the lads that posted on the main forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

Whats the average age of the players?

And how many nights a week do yee train?

I'd be interested, currently trying to improve my fitness

Wouldn't be sure on average age but none of us are over 30. We don't normally train during the season as lads will have different commitments but trying to change that this season so we can challenge for the league. We will be training before the start of new season however. Have you played 11 a side before? What position do you play?

Ed, just realised you spelled Boardeaux wrong in the thread title :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

used to play every week as a kid with Salthill Devon in Galway. Can't say that I've played it since moving to Dublin though (2002)

Play 5-a-side weekly with work though.

I generally play defence / midfield

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

When is the first training session?

• Advertisement

Wheres the trainin match on what days are matches usually on?

Lads, the next thread down is about a friendly we have next week. Matches will be Tuesday nights.

When is the first training session?

Friendly next week, please post in thread that ul be there if you want to go.

Wheres the trainin match on what days are matches usually on?

Matches are usually on Tuesday nights, training match - please see the thread about this, gives all details in there

if you can make it, please post in the match threads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Got your PM homerjay, i'd love to be there if it weren't for 2 deciding factors...

1. I'm a few thousand miles away at the minute and won't be back until 28th Sept
    2. I'm ridiculously unfit, i know you guys have said all are welcome, but my lack of fitness would mean you'd be better without me on the pitch, no exaggeration!!

However, i'm working on that so if in a few months you're still looking (i understand the season will probably have started by then so you probably won't be) or if you're just looking to make up numbers for a friendly, then i'd be well up for it.

Got your PM homerjay, i'd love to be there if it weren't for 2 deciding factors...

1. I'm a few thousand miles away at the minute and won't be back until 28th Sept
    2. I'm ridiculously unfit, i know you guys have said all are welcome, but my lack of fitness would mean you'd be better without me on the pitch, no exaggeration!!

However, i'm working on that so if in a few months you're still looking (i understand the season will probably have started by then so you probably won't be) or if you're just looking to make up numbers for a friendly, then i'd be well up for it.

you have 5 weeks to work on your fitness!season starts around then i think...

whats your position? and whats your previous experience, 11 a side?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Redders825

Hey,
    i was looking to join earlier in the year. Was wondering maybe if i could take part in a friendly, ye can get a look at me and i could see what yer all about. I play in the top league in Sligo/Leitrim and have played for A-Team Intervarsities for 2 years as a right back. Play centre half and centre midfield for my club. 6ft 3', right footed.
    Hopefully i would be able to add something to yer squad, im just looking for a game during the week to complement my sunday morning games!

Sure let me know.

Thanks

Redders825 wrote: »
    Hey,
    i was looking to join earlier in the year. Was wondering maybe if i could take part in a friendly, ye can get a look at me and i could see what yer all about. I play in the top league in Sligo/Leitrim and have played for A-Team Intervarsities for 2 years as a right back. Play centre half and centre midfield for my club. 6ft 3', right footed.
    Hopefully i would be able to add something to yer squad, im just looking for a game during the week to complement my sunday morning games!

Sure let me know.

Thanks

ya, we actually were wondering if you were still interested. we are squad hunting at the moment, as we missing a few lads who had to pull out, all because of work or training commitments. are u in dublin at the moment? we are playing another friendly next wednesday night and should have 3 more before season starts. had a 4-4 draw last week and a 2-2 draw this week, so they are competitive. drop me a PM if your interested in playing next week. same pitch as tonight, columcilles, in firhouse just of m50.

lads we still need players......theres 3 or 4 lads who are not sure if they can play this year, with clashes with work and training session, so we will need to replace them. its not about quality, its sheer numbers.

all the new lads have been a welcome edition to the team.
    IMO, if we got in two more quality players, then we are in good shape.

can ye update the thread in the main forum please? advising of the friendly tomorrow nite and that we still need 1 or 2 lads to join.

(im banned off the main soccer forum in case your wondering why i can do it myself!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

updated it last night ed but haven't got any takers so far..

How many players have we got? Remember me and Dave (I assume) will be back for the first game.

• Advertisement

How many players have we got? Remember me and Dave (I assume) will be back for the first game.

have a look at the match thread, i have update the squad there. we have about 20 confirmed, plus 2 or 3 more who are not sure......as in theres a few lads who dont know if they can commit.

So we need more than 20 players?

So we need more than 20 players?

not confirmed...

a few players need to make up their mind..

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭WeAreShels

Will indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Redders825

Hey Lads,

Im afraid i wont be able to commit for the rest of the season. I got promoted today at work so i could be busy 2 weeks of every month and hence miss alot of games which wouldnt be fair on ye and wouldnt be financially benefical for me!

Thanks for the game last night, ye have the makings of a good team when ye play as a team, best of luck for the remainder of the season. Ill be keeping an eye on ye.

Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Aw man, that sucks...could see you are a proper footballer from last nights showing...would have been a great addition to the team.

Redders825 wrote: »
    Hey Lads,

Im afraid i wont be able to commit for the rest of the season. I got promoted today at work so i could be busy 2 weeks of every month and hence miss alot of games which wouldnt be fair on ye and wouldnt be financially benefical for me!

Thanks for the game last night, ye have the makings of a good team when ye play as a team, best of luck for the remainder of the season. Ill be keeping an eye on ye.

Conor

hmm, maybe wait until the fixtures come out before deciding? there will be weeks where we have no game....

How do you figure that Ed? There's 5 venues for the option we're going for so that's enough to have a game a week. We only missed some weeks last winter season due to there only being 4 pitches to play on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

How do you figure that Ed? There's 5 venues for the option we're going for so that's enough to have a game a week. We only missed some weeks last winter season due to there only being 4 pitches to play on

You're right, but there will be 2 weeks over Xmas when we have no game.

Incidentally, are you posting from a DCU proxy, perchance?

Are you allergic to a certain Bohemians striker?

• Advertisement

Never. Multiple accounts is something only Shay and mischief makers like that would do. Plus I'm finished in DCU. Moved home last week. And I doubt two weeks off at Christmas will mean he can play. Word is he's quite good but we want lads who'll be there every week

Advertisement