Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel so Stuck

Options
  • 13-08-2008 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I'm in a real messy situation. My company moved from the city centre out to a suburb I'd rather not name. I gave it a try like I promised myself I would but it's been a few weeks now and I just can't do it. The strain of going from a half hour journey into work to a 2 hour commute is too much. I had things set up around my jobs old location that are also now a strain to get to. I'm completely drained and have nodded off on the sofa a couple of times now, only to wake up late for work, not having set my alarm because I fell asleep!

It's not just the location issue. I was thinking of leaving before they moved but I said I'd give things a try, maybe things would change. They have, they're worse. they are sneakily trying to change my job description and I'm really not happy. I like my job (profession), I applied for my job, and now they are slowly forcing me into a very different position.

So now I am looking for a new job. Back doing what I was originally doing, as that is what I want to do. But the problem is being all the way out here and trying to find a job in the city. I had a day off recently and went for an interview with an agency but now I have another interview that another agency wants to set up. I don't know how I'm going to manage it. Her last appointment is 5pm and I work until 5pm. It'll take the most part of an hour to get to the agency at that time with all the traffic. So I'll have to take time off.

I'm worried enough about taking the time off but to make things worse this isn't even an interview with a company. So I'll have to go on this interview and at least one more. At the very least. How will I be able to keep arranging time off? When I was working in the city it was fine, I'd only need a bit of time but all the way out here I'd need over an hour.

Should I make up something recurring? Like dentists appointments? But what if they ask for proof? Should I be honest and tell them I'm looking for work? But then they could refuse to give me the time off and also find a way to get rid of me before I find something else. I feel like I'm trapped. I can't stay in this job and I don't seem to be able to make arrangements to leave. Should I just say I'm really sick, take a few days at a time and try to arrange as many interviews for those days as possible? I've been a very reliable employee up to now, I've only taken one sick day in 9 months, and that was to take care of someone else and I told them that.

Do anyone have any advice? I'm at the end of my rope here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Do you have any annual leave left? Then you could take a few days off together and let the agencies know that you can only attend interviews on those days. That'll give you a bit of breathing space and you can relax Then you might only have one or two interviews when you're back to work and can have a dentist appointment for them, if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 UnhappyBunny

I do have about 10 days of leave left. I would have to give 3 weeks notice but I should definately book some days off. Even if nothing came of it at least I'd get a break. I guess the thoughts of being there for another 3 weeks hurts my head but no harm in having them booked anyway.

After this morning I was all set to call in sick tomorrow and Friday but I forgot that another girl here is off on a week holiday from tomorrow. So I'll be doing her job and my own foor the next 5 working days. My head feels like a pressure cooker, every day keeps getting progressivley worse. I'm starting to piss my boyfriend off now too because he's sick of hearing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I know how you feel. People tell you to chill about work but unfortunately you spend so long there every day that it's so important to be comfortable and happy. It really does affect you so much.

I'd ask for some time off sooner than the three weeks allow. Just say you're having a few personal problems that you need to sort out and you'd really appreciate being able to take the days off as soon as possible. If they don't let you, no big deal, you can take them in three weeks but it does sounds like you need a break and having the days to job hunt in peace will make things so much easier for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I do have about 10 days of leave left. I would have to give 3 weeks notice but I should definately book some days off. Even if nothing came of it at least I'd get a break. I guess the thoughts of being there for another 3 weeks hurts my head but no harm in having them booked anyway.

Just in case you were hoping to use some of your leave during your notice period, your company is well within their rights to make you work your full notice period and pay for for any outstanding leave when you finish.

So, as has been suggested block book some days off and let the agencies know they will have to work around these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Try to arrange phone interviews too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement