Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Multi Room

Options
  • 13-08-2008 11:32am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Couple of questions. I was recomending Sky to my dad and we looked in to the prices. The SKy site is confusing it says €15 for multi room but says €7.50 when you go to buy online. Anyone know if its €7.50 every month or id that a promo for the fist month?

Also how is multi room wired, is it one box to the other or both boxes to the dish? Does the 2nd box (not a sky+ one) need a phone line as well?

He's going to ring sky but thought I would see if I could get answers in case there not much help on the phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Daith

Rew wrote: »
    Also how is multi room wired, is it one box to the other or both boxes to the dish? Does the 2nd box (not a sky+ one) need a phone line as well?

Both boxes to dish, both need phone lines.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Info from sky is rental is going up from €20 to €21, multi room is €7.50 for the first 12 months then €15 and only one box will require a phone line. There backed up with installs so 2 weeks before they will be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

There backed up with installs so 2 weeks before they will be out.
    I ordered Sky at the end of July and the wait is approx. 3-4 weeks.

cian1500ww wrote: »

What dat did they say to you? They told my old man it would be around the 28th of Aug.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Info from sky is rental is going up from €20 to €21, multi room is €7.50 for the first 12 months then €15 and only one box will require a phone line. There backed up with installs so 2 weeks before they will be out.

That's not correct, both boxes need to have a phone line supplied. Sky use this to check both boxes remain at the same address (otherwise it would be too easy for 2 friends or family to pay for 1 box + multiroom and move one box to another address giving a substantial discount on 2 subscriptions).

Sky phone reps barely know their own products, make sure you have a phone outlet at both locations before the installer arrives, otherwise the installer will not install the second box (I'm not sure if they'll run the phone cable for you if they do expect a loose cable running between the 2 rooms).

• Advertisement

pH wrote: »
    That's not correct, both boxes need to have a phone line supplied. Sky use this to check both boxes remain at the same address (otherwise it would be too easy for 2 friends or family to pay for 1 box + multiroom and move one box to another address giving a substantial discount on 2 subscriptions).

Sky phone reps barely know their own products, make sure you have a phone outlet at both locations before the installer arrives, otherwise the installer will not install the second box (I'm not sure if they'll run the phone cable for you if they do expect a loose cable running between the 2 rooms).

Had a feeling the phone line thing was wrong. Neighbour had it installed a few weeks ago and they ran a phone line from the main box in another room for him, extreamly neat job.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

cian1500ww wrote: »

I ordered at the end of July and had Sky installed just over a week later. I think I ordered on the 21st and it was installed on the 30th. I can't imagine why you would have to wait that long.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

pH wrote: »
    That's not correct, both boxes need to have a phone line supplied.

Just for clarification: you need ONE phone line and BOTH boxes must be connected to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Do you have to get it connected to a phone line, when we got sky years ago we told them we didnt want to connected and that was grand to this day its never be connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Multiroom yes you do. Do you have multiroom?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Came across a device called ***** in one of the satellite magazines.
    It seems to be legit & if it worked with the Sky system would not be a bad alternative to multiroom. Seems to retail for around €135.
    Just wondering if anyone had any experience/opinions on these?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's illegal with virtually every Satellite and Cable operator. This is NOT opinion, but fact. Only using it for a FTV card would be a grey area.

In Ireland as well as breaking T&C of Chorus/NTL/Sky (assuming it actually worked), you would be breaking Irish Criminal Law. Connecting a 2nd box without paying the subscription for it is "theft of service". To encourage, supply or help to do so is also a criminal offence in Ireland and most EU countries.

Hence I have to blank the name to protect boards.ie

Just because They claim it is legal, does not make it so. Yes it uses your legitimate card, but only one receiver is legal on that card.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Sorry about that Watty. I genuinely thought it was legal.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

I've a vague memory that when Sky tried to stop the sale of a similar device in the analogue days, that they lost the case in the UK?

Although as Watty warns, Irish law is different - we can thank that paragon of virtue and former resident of Mountjoy, Ray Burke, for that.

They would not lose in UK now. It's an Harmonised EU law. Sky sells a sub per box, not per household. The Multiroom uses all boxes on same line to verify in the same place to give a Discount per customer (not household). Not much saving if you are on basic package (€6), but becomes a €45 month saving on a top package.

shinobi wrote: »
    Sorry about that Watty. I genuinely thought it was legal.:o

I was sure you did. I've had this discussion with a friend in work as we studied the website of "that" company. Hence no infraction :)

I've seen a UK magazine review as well and they presented it as legal and above board. :(

I think it ought to be legal, and you ought only to need one sub per household. But it's more like buying photoshop for your laptop (everyone needs to buy their own copy) than a TV licence, which *is* one per household.

Lobby TDs and MEPs?

Advertisement