Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N3 Floods

Options
  • 12-08-2008 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

How can The N3 Blanchardstown Bypass flood like it did this evening this happened last week and a few years ago as well when we got heavy rain but the area where it floods is at least 20 ft above the River Tolka so it should be simple to drain it I have pictures of both times it flooded its crazy whoever is responsible for this is grossly incompetent and I believe anyone who had a car damaged should have a claim for compensation as this occured before in exactly the same location and I could install drains myself simply it has to be seen to be believed there is a drop straight down to the river on the right hand side going out from town and the response of the authorites was pathetic

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

is the N3 impassable again tonight???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

miju wrote: »
    is the N3 impassable again tonight???
    Closed since 7pm according to 9pm news. Traffic ment to be made according to a post in the D15 forum. No sign of traffic from the Travellodge toward town though.

Rains stopped though now so I'd imagine it'll be grand in the morning (possibly reopened soon) if the rain stops, but I'm just guessing.

As for compensation - if you drive into the floods then you're an idiot. I believe after the first car gets stuck anyone who follows in deserves nothing to be honest. It's just madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can't just dump it all into the Tolka without flooding somewhere else.

What is needed is a large flood basin that can be flooded when the river level is high and then drained afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

mylesm wrote: »
    I believe anyone who had a car damaged should have a claim for compensation as this occured before in exactly the same location

Tbh, if you follow other cars into a flood and get stuck, I think you should be paying a callout fee if it's the fire brigade who have to come to you. Nevermind your compensation claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

Hey Guys

What are the chances of the N3 being opened by 5am????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

random wrote: »
    As for compensation - if you drive into the floods then you're an idiot. I believe after the first car gets stuck anyone who follows in deserves nothing to be honest. It's just madness.
    Was just thinking that myself
    Victor wrote: »
    You can't just dump it all into the Tolka without flooding somewhere else.

What is needed is a large flood basin that can be flooded when the river level is high and then drained afterwards.

Yes, like where the built all the houses in Clonee maybe???

ambman wrote: »
    Hey Guys

I'd say pretty good but it's hard to tell really. They may leave it closed while they try pump water over night. Could always try Blanch Garda Station maybe 01 6667000 - although maybe not a great idea to be calling them at this time of night asking about roads .. maybe ring them in the early hours ?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

I'd say pretty good but it's hard to tell really. They may leave it closed while they try pump water over night. Could always try Blanch Garda Station maybe 01 6667000 - although maybe not a great idea to be calling them at this time of night asking about roads .. maybe ring them in the early hours ?

Thanks

Just said on TV3 news that they were not sure if it would be open before rush hour in the morning.

Thanks

Just said on TV3 news that they were not sure if it would be open before rush hour in the morning.
    Must be worse than I thought then ..

Anyone suggest a good station to tune into on the web in the morning to find out details ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Anyone suggest a good station to tune into on the web in the morning to find out details ?

LiveDrive on Dublin City FM, but that only starts at 7am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Hey Guys

The inbound lane should be alright, it's not bad at all. The problem is coming from the outbound lane. One of the manholes burst at about 6pm and water has been flowing out continuously since.

Cionád wrote: »
    LiveDrive on Dublin City FM, but that only starts at 7am.
    Looks good but their web stream (http://dublincityfm.ie/DCALFMStream.asx) isn't working. Shame.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

mylesm wrote: »
    How can The N3 Blanchardstown Bypass flood like it did this evening this happened last week and a few years ago as well when we got heavy rain but the area where it floods is at least 20 ft above the River Tolka so it should be simple to drain it I have pictures of both times it flooded its crazy whoever is responsible for this is grossly incompetent and I believe anyone who had a car damaged should have a claim for compensation as this occured before in exactly the same location and I could install drains myself simply it has to be seen to be believed there is a drop straight down to the river on the right hand side going out from town and the response of the authorites was pathetic

Yeah but you have to look at the massive tamac-ed area that is the Blanch centre. All that run off has to go somewhere.

More often then not, flooding is caused not by the road design but by development by the road. Much of the time these developments are signed off by the people we elect. So it looks like we are the incompetent onws since we vote these individuals into a decision making role.

Having said that, there is going to have to be some serious remedial work on this stretch of road. Perhaps the tolls from the M3 can help pay for it!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BrianD wrote: »
    Having said that, there is going to have to be some serious remedial work on this stretch of road. Perhaps the tolls from the M3 can help pay for it!!

The tolls will only pay for the Motorway, maybe Tesco and Dunnes can be tapped for throwing a big drain across the top and then straight into the Tolka ....where it will all end up in Bertieland in good time :cool:

That whole N3 corridor out to Dunboyne has lost so much floodplain over the years that it may have to be piped to the Liffey instead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

BrianD wrote: »

Much of the time these developments are signed off by the people we elect.

Thats a load of crap. We dont elect area egnieers/planers etc.

Elected officals can only pass Part VIII submissions (and similar) which would not be final detailed desgin and usally just means that they accept the route choice (or LAP) or what ever

Advertisement