Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Issues

Options
  • 12-08-2008 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Offered a new position in work.

Don't know if I should take it.

Currently in tech support and was offered db admin role with 2 weeks training. Thing is our site has moved to new servers and is unstable. They also went from running enterprise edition of SQL server to standard edition.

There have already been issues with the sites and as there will be more, I'm reluctant to take the position since 2 weeks training isn't enough IMO and I think that I'll just end up taking a lot of crap and blame for stuff outside my control.

I don't really want the job either, I'd rather be in development but since they are out-sourcing it, it doesn't look any new positions are opening up for me to enter so this could be my only chance to get off the help desk in the company.

Some of the people in work told me I should just take the job to get off the help desk and others have said, I'd be mad to take it since I'll get called at all hours of the night about problems. My manager also thinks everyone should work over time for free and I'd definitely be expected to if I was to take the job.

Wondering what people would do if they were in this situation.

Advertisement