Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems Connecting To A Wireless Router

Options
  • 12-08-2008 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

:confused:I am down in my friends house for the week and he has lost his passkey for his wireless router and cannot connect wirelessly.

When connected wired there is no info on it on the routers interface.

I am wondering if there is any way to get the passkey (wpa-tsk) from the router since im connected by wire?

Thanks in advance:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Spuddeeez

if you are 'wired' to the wifi router you should be able to bring up the web configuration interface of the router itself if you open a browser and use the address http://<IP address of router>. I can't remember the default IP address off the top of my head but to find out, on a Windows box, open a Command prompt (-->Start -->run 'cmd') and run the command tracert www.ireland.com
    The first IP address is usually that of your router so try that. You will usually need a pin number to access the configuration. You should be able to reset the PSK.
    Good luck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Spuddeeez wrote: »
    .... on a Windows box, open a Command prompt (-->Start -->run 'cmd') and run the command tracert www.ireland.com
    The first IP address is usually that of your router so try that. ;)

A tad complex ;)

Start > Run > cmd and at the cmd promt type ipconfig then press return

The default gateway is the IP address of your router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

You havent given us any idea who he' connected with, ie. eircom or BT etc but if its one of the usual suspects do this.

Plug directly into the router using a patch cable. Make sure your network connection is set to automatic TCP/IP4

Then open web browser. Type in one of the following addresses until u get an interface:

192.168.1.254 (this is eircom)

192.168.1.1 (another popular IP)

192.1.0.1 (also used)

If its the eircom one you will see a wireless menu go in there and it;ll tell you the wep key, channel etc..

If this doesnt help please post back with more useful info like brand and model of router, whos he's connected to etc

Regards,

Advertisement