Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes - What is it about them?

Options
  • 12-08-2008 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭

So why is Mercedes considered in a different light in this country? BMW and Audi are considered acceptable and cool, but buy a Merc and people instantly don't like you.
    People might try to argue that BMW are considered in the same light, but they're not. They've become popular and more common in the last 10 years. Mercs might be more common than ever, but they can't seem to shake the "old rich ba*tard" type image. I like the new C-Class, but take 3 people of similar age, one buys a new 320d, one an A4 2 litre diesel and one a C-Class 220cdi, and people will think the BM and Audi guys are cool but will be almost stand-off-ish about the Merc guy, not knowing what his game is, does he have notions about himself? Can't fault the car, looks well, good price etc, but still don't like it - for no known reason.
    Why is this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mercedes Benz = Government Minsiter! ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

It's a fair point biro, I just suppose that as you said people assume they cant afford them....well maybe thats just me but when looking around in a particular price bracket i always assume that the mercs in there wont be as high up in the years.....and also that the paids are going to be mad expensive for them.....i have not got a clue if thats true or not it's just my own thoughts that have been formed by comments over the years be they true or not

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭maidhc

Biro wrote: »
    So why is Mercedes considered in a different light in this country? BMW and Audi are considered acceptable and cool, but buy a Merc and people instantly don't like you.
    People might try to argue that BMW are considered in the same light, but they're not. They've become popular and more common in the last 10 years. Mercs might be more common than ever, but they can't seem to shake the "old rich ba*tard" type image. I like the new C-Class, but take 3 people of similar age, one buys a new 320d, one an A4 2 litre diesel and one a C-Class 220cdi, and people will think the BM and Audi guys are cool but will be almost stand-off-ish about the Merc guy, not knowing what his game is, does he have notions about himself? Can't fault the car, looks well, good price etc, but still don't like it - for no known reason.
    Why is this?

I don't agree! The merc certainly appeals to an older demographic, but that is about it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

M-B very much a traditional prestige marque, especially in Ireland. From Charlie Haughey to a local enterprising scrap merchant to a rich farmer - all of these I remember as having Mercs when I was growing up. It was kinda seen as a prestige totem of what we would now call 'noveau riche' I reckon.

Audi was once described by an old neighbour of mine as 'a poor man's Mercedes' but were very much a 'cool' alternative up until the launch of the original A4.

The credible, well-off guys when I was growing up had Saabs (before they were GM clones) or BMWs (before they were 10-a-penny).

I don't think either Audi or BMW are remotely cool as we stand here in early 2008. Very much a default choice for those fixated with scrambling up the greasy pole. Not saying I wouldn't have a BMW if they had the right car for me. But the image is in the ****e IMO (unless you like being a sheep)...

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Biro wrote: »
    Why is this?

I wonder if that is just your perception. Most people I know admire a car they perceive to be nice regardless of the brand.

The latest brand to get the treatment is Audi, as proclaimed by a certain Mr. Clarkson, so must be true!
    BMW have long been regarded by some here in the way you describe, but not so in the real world I think.

Ask a group of people what brand has the worst image and I would bet Honda would be mentioned due to the boyracer syndrome. Not fair to some Honda owners either.

In general cars are owned by individuals. Some are a**holes, some not. Some wealthy, some not. The brand has nothing to do with it.

I think, in general, if someone makes an assumption about someone else based on nothing more that the badge on their car that is more a reflection on the person making the assumption.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

mike65 wrote: »
    Mercedes Benz = Government Minsiter! ;)

Mike.

A merc is a taxi...!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

one word: Farmers

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A merc is a taxi...!:D

A Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi is a better taxi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Quint wrote: »
    one word: Farmers

I think the VW Jetta / Vento better suits that demographic.

And the only decent Mercedes suitable for taxi-ing is the W123 and W124. Any of the newer ones are rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hmm, when I think Merc I don't think 'rich bastard', I immediately think 'old, boring, unexciting'. This is despite the fact that I know there are some very exciting Merc's out there! It's just my immediate gut reaction.

I also know plenty of farmers who drive mercs so perhaps that has some bearing on it. I've been around my wifes hometown and seen Mercs covered in cowdung double-parking outside the shops while some fat, old red-faced man in wellies and an old jumper clambers out to get his Independent and Farmers Journal. It's a stereotype but it's been reinforced too many times for me to consider a Merc until things change. :pac:

As for Audi, yes, Clarkson recently said that all the old BMW drivers are now driving Audis and as they were cocks, Audi drivers are now cocks and the BMW M3 is now cool again. Take from that what you will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Max_Damage wrote: »
    I think the VW Jetta / Vento better suits that demographic.

Ah yes, but they all aim for Mercs. Mercs are the one thing farmers and rappers have in common

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I wonder if that is just your perception. Most people I know admire a car they perceive to be nice regardless of the brand.

The latest brand to get the treatment is Audi, as proclaimed by a certain Mr. Clarkson, so must be true!
    BMW have long been regarded by some here in the way you describe, but not so in the real world I think.

Ask a group of people what brand has the worst image and I would bet Honda would be mentioned due to the boyracer syndrome. Not fair to some Honda owners either.

In general cars are owned by individuals. Some are a**holes, some not. Some wealthy, some not. The brand has nothing to do with it.

I think, in general, if someone makes an assumption about someone else based on nothing more that the badge on their car that is more a reflection on the person making the assumption.

Most people I know judge a car on the badge. The new Bravo is a lovely looking car in it's segment, but show it to a Golf owner and I don't have to tell you what they'll say. Swap the badges over and they'll be just as quick to announce how stylish the VW is.
    I'd just consider someone who bought the new C-class diesel as someone who's thinking outside the box, as the BMW and Audi's litter the place in that segment. But I don't think joe soap would have the same opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

r3nu4l wrote: »
    As for Audi, yes, Clarkson recently said that all the old BMW drivers are now driving Audis and as they were cocks, Audi drivers are now cocks and the BMW M3 is now cool again. Take from that what you will.

I'm thinking there's an element of truth in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The Mercs are a bit boring and bland alright. I drive an E300 TD (W210) and while it's adequate it won't set the world on fire. It would probably suit an older driver. I may go for an Audi next preferably an A8 hopefully. I like the Beamers also but there is a bit of a 'greasy pole' image about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I've a soft spot for them :(

However the ones released between 1999 and 2006ish just made me want to spit on them. I dunno why that is, maybe It's that anti-merc stuff that seems to be discussed in this thread :D It's like I get the feeling they are fake Mercedes, or wanna be Mercedes that wont ever match the real thing.

News ones are nice. I espeically like how the sports cars (CL & AMG)are gaining the reputation of a car that handles quite nice and superb comfort, but has almost uncontrollable about of power making it a fun ride. :) My kinda of car.

Advertisement