Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25 - Speed limit increases around Cork - South Ring, Ballincollig Bypass

Options
  • 12-08-2008 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

The thread on the M8 upgrades has been veered slightly off topic of late by a discussion about speed limits on the Cork South Link, Ballincollig Bypass, etc.

This thread is for that discussion.

Comments

Best ask a mod to move the relevant posts her as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Furet wrote: »
    The thread on the M8 upgrades has been veered slightly off topic of late by a discussion about speed limits on the Cork South Link, Ballincollig Bypass, etc.
    Is this actually going to happen? Because Cork Co Co tried to upgrade these roads to 120 km/h early last year and the NRA refused to let them change the speed limits on safety grounds or something(they allowed Crookstown-Bantry and Bandon-Bantry be upgraded to 100 from the default 80 km/h and most of those roads, especially Crookstown-Bantry doesn't even have a proper hard shoulder and often it is impossible to even achieve 100 km/h even when there's no traffic either on these roads but no matter).

And if it is, can I have a link to it please;)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

E92 wrote: »
    Is this actually going to happen? Because Cork Co Co tried to upgrade these roads to 120 km/h early last year and the NRA refused to let them change the speed limits on safety grounds or something(they allowed Crookstown-Bantry and Bandon-Bantry be upgraded to 100 from the default 80 km/h and most of those roads, especially Crookstown-Bantry doesn't even have a proper hard shoulder and often it is impossible to even achieve 100 km/h even when there's no traffic either on these roads but no matter).

And if it is, can I have a link to it please;)?

Reenascreena is the poster with the inside info by all accounts. He was at the meeting that approved the changes. Perhaps he'd give us more details?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Reenascreena

Bylaws were passed unanimously at the last meeting of the County Council, Monday two weeks ago. That's all I can tell you. You might get the minutes on the council website if you are that interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

does it still need NRA approval before it can go ahead?

• Advertisement

Bylaws were passed unanimously at the last meeting of the County Council, Monday two weeks ago. That's all I can tell you. You might get the minutes on the council website if you are that interested.

Cheers dude. Found the following link with the minutes. Down at the bottom there is the following:
    REVIEW OF SPEED LIMITS
    9(b)/7-1

Councillor J. Collins proposed, seconded by Councillor K. Murphy, the following motion:-

"That a yearly review of Speed Limits, co-ordinated between the divisions, be carried out."

Councillor Collins stated that the decision needs to be taken with regard to how future reviews will proceed and that there is a need for co-ordination between the divisions. Members indicated their dissatisfaction with the manner which the Speed Limit Revisions agreed in the recent review were implemented. The Manager stated that a long process was followed to agree the existing byelaws. When the matter was brought to full Council, no approval had been received from the NRA for Speed Limit revisions on the national routes. It was agreed at that time to approve the limits on all other roads and bring back the national routes once NRA approval was received. There are a number of unfinished issues:

1. NRA approval has now been received and the Speed Limits for these roads will be brought to Council on 28th July.
    2. Members have identified a number of other outstanding issues which are being examined and will be brought be back to Council at the earliest possible date.
    3. There appears to be an issue regarding the Western Division and it will be necessary to look at the byelaws there and to identify where signage is not correctly in place.

This was noted by the Members.

It was agreed to take item 19 at this point

SPEED LIMIT ON FERMOY - WATERGRASSHILL ROAD (N8)
    19/7-1

Councillor F. O'Flynn proposed, seconded by Councillor A. Pyne, the following notice of motion:-

"That Cork County Council would indicate when the agreed speed limit on the N8 Fermoy - Watergrasshill Road will be reverted back to 100km per hour speed limit and the agreed speed limit extension for the Fermoy Road entrance to Ballyhooly Village and the speed limit signs at Kilmagner National School be extended as agreed."

Members noted report of Director of Service (Northern Division) which outlined as follows:-

The proposal for the rural areas of the R639 (former N8) between Fermoy and Watergrasshill will shortly be advertised and then processed in accordance with the procedures set out in the Road Traffic Act 2004, which will take a number of months.

It is hoped to bring the proposals for Ballyhooly and Kilmagner to the next meeting of Council, for approval, together with other amendments approved by the NRA for National Roads in the County.

This would seem to mean that the old road between Fermoy and Watergrasshill will be changed back to 100 km/h.

Long overdue IMHO.

Unfortunately there's nothing about the minutes from 2 weeks ago, but I completely trust(and hope to God) you're right given the above;)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I still think that with the lane drops and gains floating around near Little Island that this is an immeasurably stupid (and dangerous) idea without motorway restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

What's the story with Little Island i thought it is only the ballingcollig by pass and the N8 to before Dunkettle that will have 120K.

Both HQDC.

AFAIK its Dunkettle to Carrigtwohill too. Easily motorway quality that.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭childoforpheus

AFAIK its Dunkettle to Carrigtwohill too. Easily motorway quality that.

Even has the continuous yellow line on the hard shoulder.

• Advertisement

Although some of the road is noticeably sinking in places. Especially the bridge over the tunnel roundabout - like a speedbump that is.

I always dread going over that bridge.
    It's easier to take the overtake lane when you're heading west - your l and r wheels dont hit it at the same time, making it slightly more bearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Any word on the R639 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Any word on the R639 ?

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's currently 80km/hr but it used to be 100km/hr when it was designated the N8. There have been talks about putting it back to 100km/hr but so far no movement.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭alancork

I saw that there are new speed signs erected on the N25 heading east just after the Dunkettle interchange, before Little Island, but still covered with black plastic. Presume this is 120km/h. :D

Stupid, stupid stupid county council. I say it again - 120kmh on this road without motorway restrictions is madness. We need to get cyclists, people walking and tractors OFF A ROAD WITH A HIGH SPEED LIMIT LIKE THIS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Stupid, stupid stupid county council. I say it again - 120kmh on this road without motorway restrictions is madness. We need to get cyclists, people walking and tractors OFF A ROAD WITH A HIGH SPEED LIMIT LIKE THIS.

If they're afraid of forking out for blue signs, they can at least put up signs saying 'No cyclists/pedestrians' etc. in the interim.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    If they're afraid of forking out for blue signs, they can at least put up signs saying 'No cyclists/pedestrians' etc. in the interim.

+1.

Having said that the N1 and N2 have 120 km/h limits on bits of them and there doesn't seem to be any adverse safety affect just because they don't have the motorway restrictions.

You can be sure if there was a safety risk that the RSA would be kicking up a fuss.

Hence I see no reason for us not to have 120 km/h limits on roads that are capable of them, motorway restrictions or not.

Cyclists, tractors etc should be banned irrespective of whether these roads are motorways or not, but regardless we should do our best to progress and have higher speed limits where safe to do so.

E92 wrote: »
    Cyclists, tractors etc should be banned irrespective of whether these roads are motorways or not, but regardless we should do our best to progress and have higher speed limits where safe to do so.

Totally agree...

There is no point limiting the speed when there is no real need to. 100 km/h on roads perfectly capable of the 120 km/h speed limit is ridiculous.

But I would like to see the Cork roads M'd for the main reason of preventing more Mahon Point-ism...

But that'll come in time, for now, safety should be the primary issue. It was barely safe for tractors, pedestrians and cyclists to be on the roads at 100. A 120 is just an accident waiting to happen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

You've got 70 mph (ca. 114 km/h) speed limits on most similar rural dual-carriageways in the UK (with no restrictions on pedestrians, cyclists, tractors etc. - and usually no continuous hard shoulders) so the usual 'only in Ireland' attitude that I'm picking up here isn't warranted. ;)

You've got 70 mph (ca. 114 km/h) speed limits on most similar rural dual-carriageways in the UK (with no restrictions on pedestrians, cyclists, tractors etc. - and usually no continuous hard shoulders) so the usual 'only in Ireland' attitude that I'm picking up here isn't warranted. ;)

Regardless of whether the UK allows it or not, I think it's ridiculous for tractors, pedestrians, cyclists etc. to be on that type of road when there are alternatives available. These are not rural DCs, they are heavily trafficked roads near the city, it simply isn't safe. If we were talking about a lightly-trafficked section of the N9 DC then maybe I'd consider it, but pedestrians, cyclists on the roads with the new speed limit should be out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Regardless of whether the UK allows it or not, I think it's ridiculous for tractors, pedestrians, cyclists etc. to be on that type of road when there are alternatives available. These are not rural DCs, they are heavily trafficked roads near the city, it simply isn't safe.

Totally agree. Was on the road coming form Carrig today and came upon a tractor, cars in over taking lane doing 120Kph + and cars in slow lane driving out into the overtaking lane. Drivers not allowing for the less time they have before an overtaking car is upon them, it was dodgey enough at 100Kph. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the 120Kph but there needs to be motorway restrictions.

I cycled that road before, heading out to Cobh. Only did it once, and I'd never consider doing it again - It was before I ever drove it. I'm usually a very confident cyclist, but I really didn't feel comfortable on it. That road is certainly not suitable for cyclists.

larryone wrote: »
    I cycled that road before, heading out to Cobh. Only did it once, and I'd never consider doing it again - It was before I ever drove it. I'm usually a very confident cyclist, but I really didn't feel comfortable on it. That road is certainly not suitable for cyclists.

A refreshing post... ;)

It's nice to see this from the point of view from one of the people who would potentially be banned from the road.

I've only ever cycled in rural areas, and I'm not the most confident cyclist in the world, but seeing a confident cyclist admit that they wouldn't consider cyclying on it again makes me want motorway restrictions (or a ban on certain types of vehicle at the least) put on that road even more.

Definately 120kmh now, the signs have been unveiled :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Definately 120kmh now, the signs have been unveiled :(

How far along the road does the 120 limit apply?

Dont know as I'm back in Galway now :D Guesswork would be Dunkettle to the far end of the Carrigtwohill bypass.

Dont know as I'm back in Galway now :D Guesswork would be Dunkettle to the far end of the Carrigtwohill bypass.

Well, except the tunnel. Probably as soon as you leave the tunnel to Carrigtwohill...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭childoforpheus

Some new signs have been added to the N8 between Dunkettle interchange and Glanmire exit. The ones near Glanmire (Northbound) are still covered in plastic. By the looks if it the section between Glanmire and Watergrasshill will be 120kmph when this plastic is removed. Didn't think they would bother as its soon to be declared motorway (hopefully).

Advertisement