Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling from Dundalk to Dublin after 10pm

Options
  • 12-08-2008 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

My sister will need to get back to Dublin city after 10pm from Dundalk. Is there anyway to do this on public transport? Latest service I see is Matthews Coaches at 9.30.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

bus eireann - really early in the mornin..

Dundalk (Bus Station, Long Walk)
    Dublin (Busáras)

DEP 04:10
    ARR 05:35

might be a bit dodgy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1209133022-Table-1.pdf

Belfast to Dublin express is 24 hr service now...runs hourly, on 10 past the hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Wertz wrote: »
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1209133022-Table-1.pdf

Belfast to Dublin express is 24 hr service now...runs hourly, on 10 past the hour

You would have to go to Newry to get on this bus. There is something that stops the bus companies from starting in the north or south and picking up passengers when it crosses the border.

So if the bus is coming from Belfast then it's last pick up is in Newry and then it is only drop offs when it crosses the border and when going the other way the last pick up is in Dundalk and then it is only drop offs in the North.

No idea why this is but someone else might be able to shine more light on it.

I knew this was the case with Aircoach, but didn't know it applied to BE as well...what a load of nonsense...wtf is wrong with this country? The only 24 hr intercity bus service and they stop you getting on midways? What about people in the region that need to get to the airport (or anyplace else) at odd times? Yet more evidence of the 9-5 office hours policy for essential services, intermixed with a lack of realistic public transport options. To hell with this banana republic tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yeah I enquired about getting the Aircoach to Dundalk and the guy said they can't stop on the way up to Belfast?!So does that mean they stop on the way back ?

And yet I saw the Aircoach drive through Dundalk (past the retail park) the other day. What's it doing going through the town if it can't stop?

• Advertisement

AFAIK the Aircoach services' setdown point is over near JJB/Icedome direction...it comes through the town so it can drop off passengers (I could be cynical here and say the only people who use this service are illegal non-EU immigrants but that's for another thread) but it can't pick anyone up who might like to get to Dublin AP...although as miceal mentioned, if I live in Newry I'm more than welcome to go to Dublin AP...a bit f*cked if I want to get to Belfast AP, but sure if I live in Dundalk then it's no problem.
    I thought that Aircoach operated like this due to them being a private service, I had no idea that Bus Eireann were similarly constrained.
    The mind boggles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Yea it does suck!

It affects everyone

Chambers
    BE
    AirCoach
    Ulster Bus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

erm ya can get a bus from drogheda to dublin at 11.20 pm, Im sure a bus wud go from dundalk to drogheda at round 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Larianne wrote: »
    Yeah I enquired about getting the Aircoach to Dundalk and the guy said they can't stop on the way up to Belfast?!So does that mean they stop on the way back ?

And yet I saw the Aircoach drive through Dundalk (past the retail park) the other day. What's it doing going through the town if it can't stop?

Yea but it used to suit me fine for getting to college in Belfast and home!! And the drivers were flexible about where they let you off. The whole idea is that it has to be a cross border trip you are taking. Get on in Newry head South. Get on in Dundalk, head North...

Tbh i have would rate our public transport on this island as 0/10. I commute to Belfast everyday and if i were to take the bus from Dundalk everyday I would have to buy a return ticket each time as you cannot buy a season or multiple trip ticket if you are crossing the border... Load of sh1t to be honest..
    And the train system is no better with the first cross border train getting into Belfast at quarter to 10 in the morning..

Sorry for hijacking the thread by the way.. But i get pissed off with the lack of service we are offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I think Bus Eireann is great. Busses to Dublin from Drogheda evry 20 mins

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    AFAIK the Aircoach services' setdown point is over near JJB/Icedome direction...it comes through the town so it can drop off passengers (I could be cynical here and say the only people who use this service are illegal non-EU immigrants but that's for another thread) but it can't pick anyone up who might like to get to Dublin AP...although as miceal mentioned, if I live in Newry I'm more than welcome to go to Dublin AP...a bit f*cked if I want to get to Belfast AP, but sure if I live in Dundalk then it's no problem.
    I thought that Aircoach operated like this due to them being a private service, I had no idea that Bus Eireann were similarly constrained.
    The mind boggles...

But I was at Dublin Airport and the guy said it isn't allowed to stop in Dundalk??? FFS!

But I was at Dublin Airport and the guy said it isn't allowed to stop in Dundalk??? FFS!

Yes Dundalk is pick up only from Dublin AP. I don't think you took up my post correctly
    "...if I live in Newry I'm more than welcome to go to Dublin AP...a bit f*cked if I want to get to Belfast AP, but sure if I live in Dundalk then it's no problem."
    In other words on the Belfast to Dublin service, I can get picked up in Newry and on the Dublin to Belfast service I can get picked up in Dundalk (to go to Belfast AP), BUT I couldn't go from Dundalk to Dublin AP or Newry to Belfast AP using this service. Confused yet? :)

http://www.aircoach.ie/table.routes.belfast.php

This thread is gone way OT...sorry OP.

But why, if I was coming from Dublin Airport on the Dublin to Belfast route can they not drop me off in Dundalk if they are picking people up??? The aircoach rep at the Airport said they aren't allowed to stop in Dundalk on the way up. Maybe he was confused? (like the rest of us,well me). The Aircoach I did see was going past the retail park heading towards the North.

Edit: I see the timetable but it still doesn't make sense why they pick up and not drop off??

Ooh was gonna rant on about something else but I won't. Sorry for the off topic posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

But why, if I was coming from Dublin Airport on the Dublin to Belfast route can they not drop me off in Dundalk if they are picking people up??? The aircoach rep at the Airport said they aren't allowed to stop in Dundalk on the way up. Maybe he was confused? (like the rest of us,well me). The Aircoach I did see was going past the retail park heading towards the North.

Edit: I see the timetable but it still doesn't make sense why they pick up and not drop off??

Ooh was gonna rant on about something else but I won't. Sorry for the off topic posts.

An Aircoach driver told me that it's a term of their contract, that they can only provide a cross border service. Probably to stop them from stealing Bus Eireanns customers..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Okay back on topic then folks ,

I have rung up aircoach and here is what they had to say

Belfast
    Dublin (stopping in Dundalk )
    They can drop people off , cant pick people up here.

Dublin
    Belfast (stopping in Dundalk)
    They can pick people up , not drop people off.

Its part of their licensing agreement.

ibh wrote: »
    An Aircoach driver told me that it's a term of their contract, that they can only provide a cross border service. Probably to stop them from stealing Bus Eireanns customers..

What's wrong with a bit of healthy competition! ...Oh I forgot it's Bus Eireann, can't be having that! :rolleyes:

Advertisement