Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LHC - BBC Radio 4's "Big Bang" day

Options
  • 12-08-2008 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

To celebrate the official opening of the LHC on September 10th, BBC Radio 4 are holding a special day of programs. More details here.

There is a form on the website (linked above) that allows you to ask questions. They will select some of them and put them to the people at CERN on the day :)

This is the schedule for the day:
    A History of CERN
    A two-part history of the CERN project.

Time: Monday 8th & Tuesday 9th September, 9pm
    Presenter: Quentin Cooper
    Producer: Tom Alban

Today
    The switch-on is due to take place at 0830BST. Andrew Marr will be reporting live from the CERN control room for the Today programme, with correspondent Tom Fielden.

Time: Wednesday 10th September, 6.00-9.00am (switch-on c.8.30am)
    Presenters: Andrew Marr, Tom Fielden

Engineering Solutions
    CERN's Large Hadron Collider is the most complicated scientific apparatus ever built. Many of the technologies it uses hadn't even been invented when scientists started building it. Adam Hart-Davis discovers what it takes to build the world's most intricate discovery machine.

Time: Wednesday 10th September, 9.00-9.45am
    Presenter: Adam Hart-Davies
    Producer: Roland Pease

Physics Rocks
    Is particle physics the new rock 'n' roll? The fundamental questions about the nature of the universe that particle physics hopes to answer have attracted the attention of some very high profile and unusual fans. Alan Alda, Ben Miller, Eddie Izzard, Dara O'Briain and John Barrowman all have interests in this branch of physics.

Brian Cox - CERN physicist, and former member of 90's band D:Ream, tracks down some very well known celebrity enthusiasts and takes a light-hearted look at why this subject can appeal to all of us.

Time: Wednesday 10th September, 11.00am
    Presenter: Brian Cox
    Producer: Alexandra Feachem

Afternoon Play: Torchwood
    Torchwood: Lost Souls

"Somewhere out there in that chaos of darkness and light, of science and protons, of gods and stars and death... somewhere there's an answer."

Martha Jones, ex-time traveller and now working as a doctor for a UN task force, has been called to CERN where they're about to activate the Large Hadron Collider. Once activated, the Collider will fire beams of protons together recreating conditions a billionth of a second after the Big Bang - and potentially allowing the human race a greater insight into what the Universe is made of. But so much could go wrong - it could open a gateway to a parallel dimension, or create a black hole - and now voices from the past are calling out to people and scientists have started to disappear...

Where have the missing scientists gone? What is the secret of the glowing man? What is lurking in the underground tunnel? And do the dead ever really stay dead?

Lost Souls is a spin-off from the award-winning BBC Wales TV production Torchwood. It stars John Barrowman, Freema Agyeman, Eve Myles, Gareth David-Lloyd, Lucy Montgomery (of Titty Bang Bang) and Stephen Critchlow.

Time: Wednesday 10th September, 2.15pm
    Writer: Joseph Lidster
    Producer/ Director: Kate McAll

5 Particles
    Simon Singh looks at the stories behind the discovery of 5 of the universe's most significant subatomic particles: the Electron, the Quark, the Anti-particle, the Neutrino and the "next particle".

Time: Monday 8th - Friday 12th September, 3.45pm
    Presenter: Simon Singh
    Producer: Adrian Washbourne

The Great Big Particle Adventure
    Series Overview

The huge LHC accelerator at CERN is designed to ask the most fundamental questions in science - what is the stuff of the Universe, where did it come from, how does it work, and would existence be possible if it were any different? In this series, comedian and physicist Ben Miller asks the CERN scientists what they hope to find.

Time: Wednesday 10th/17th/24th September, 9.00pm
    Presenter: Ben Miller
    Producer: Roland Pease

The Genuine Particle
    Set in CERN, The Genuine Particle is a fast-moving satire based around an easy-going British physicist who unwittingly unleashes a storm of frenzied covert international miltary activity.

Time: Wednesday 10th September. 11.30pm
    Writer: Steve Punt
    Producer: David Tyler

I'm looking forward to this. :) BBC Radio 4 can be listened to online. The default setting is to use the iPlayer but that's not available in Ireland so select Real Player to listen to the programs.

I'm sure that for dedicated physicists these programs won't tell them anything new but for anyone with a general interest we should learn something :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I have to wonder if this would be getting radio time were it not for the somewhat overstated risk of an unexpected singularity. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I have to wonder if this would be getting radio time were it not for the somewhat overstated risk of an unexpected singularity. ;)

Nah, BBC Radio 4 is great for science programs. I've heard programs on the latest innovations in Mass Spectrometry diagnostics and also the quest for the Higgs boson. It's not just for the arts after all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Nah, BBC Radio 4 is great for science programs. I've heard programs on the latest innovations in Mass Spectrometry diagnostics and also the quest for the Higgs boson. It's not just for the arts after all ;)

Well now that's a radio station I could geek at.

Just a reminder that Wednesday is Big Bang day on BBC radio 4 for anyone interested. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BBC Four (TV) has been showing LHC related programmes including one by Dr Brian Cox who worked on on of the main experiment areas

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

Are any of you slightly concerned by the potential risks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Are any of you slightly concerned by the potential risks?

Not even slightly. Even if there were a risk to be concerned about, the rewards far outweigh them in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

See you on the event horizon :pac:

Well I'm not concerned any way. :)

Why?

Well, firstly, the risk of generating a black-hole is absolutely tiny.

Secondly, if a black hole is produced it is likely to be so tiny and insignificant in size that it disappears within picoseconds (That's a really, really tiny amount of time) and will have a miniscule gravitational pull.

Thirdly, if somehow it all went horribly wrong, we probably wouldn't even know about it :) We'd be sitting at our desks/lying in bed/whatever when all of a sudden we'd be gone. There wouldn't necessarily be a cataclysmic rumbling followed by a deafening rush of air and an overwhelming tearing of our limbs from our bodies as we were sucked into the void...well there might be but it would be so quick that we wouldn't even notice it :)

So, it'll all go fine or so terrible that we won't even know anything went wrong. The best thing about that would be that none of the sceptics would be around to say "I told you this would happen!"

Honestly shinji, the risks are absolutely tiny, the calculations have been done to death. Now unless someone forgot to carry a one across during the long division, we should be okay :)

Except the guys on the ISS

"hey look"
    "what?"
    "er forget it!"

Mike

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Except the guys on the ISS

"hey look"
    "what?"
    "er forget it!"

Mike
    :D

Well barring the fact that any black hole capable of swallowing our planet inside out would take out the ISS too, that's a funny thought.

There are several threads on this subject around boards.ie at the moment.

Assuming the planet isn't destroyed it will probably be up to one year before we know if there is anything really meaningful to be gained from the results. You can expect however that there will be plenty of media stories, subtle press releases and 'leaked' results that will make many statements that the media will hype up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

Well I'm not concerned any way. :)

Why?

Well, firstly, the risk of generating a black-hole is absolutely tiny.

Secondly, if a black hole is produced it is likely to be so tiny and insignificant in size that it disappears within picoseconds (That's a really, really tiny amount of time) and will have a miniscule gravitational pull.

Thirdly, if somehow it all went horribly wrong, we probably wouldn't even know about it :) We'd be sitting at our desks/lying in bed/whatever when all of a sudden we'd be gone. There wouldn't necessarily be a cataclysmic rumbling followed by a deafening rush of air and an overwhelming tearing of our limbs from our bodies as we were sucked into the void...well there might be but it would be so quick that we wouldn't even notice it :)

So, it'll all go fine or so terrible that we won't even know anything went wrong. The best thing about that would be that none of the sceptics would be around to say "I told you this would happen!"

Honestly shinji, the risks are absolutely tiny, the calculations have been done to death. Now unless someone forgot to carry a one across during the long division, we should be okay :)

I just hope everyone remembers how to do long division tomorrow.lol!
    Is the Higgs Boson Particle the same as the "God" particle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

brian cox so so f'ing annoying, way to happy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Well now that's a radio station I could geek at.
    You can checkout Radio 4 any time you like, but you will never leave :)

brian cox so so f'ing annoying, way to happy.

Things can only get better for Dr Cox ;)

Mike.

Is the Higgs Boson Particle the same as the "God" particle?
    It is indeed. :) Have a look at the Wiki article but if you are not a scientist or even a physicist then don't get too bogged down :)

Here's an interesting BBC article merging physics with a bit of religion :) The main source of this is the Reverend Professor Sir John Polkinghorne who himself once worked with Professor Higgs before becoming a Reverand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

Best English-language radio station in the world is BBC Radio 4.

(I can't speak about Finnish or Icelandic or Nepalese radio.)

Brilliant explanation of Higgs field and particles in plain language yesterday.... by the legendary Steven Weinberg.

Radio 4 is antidote to the "RTE Supporting the Arts" of RTE Radio 1.

It can be heard all over Ireland on 198kHz Long Wave.

Pgibson wrote: »
    Best English-language radio station in the world is BBC Radio 4.

(I can't speak about Finnish or Icelandic or Nepalese radio.)

Brilliant explanation of Higgs field and particles in plain language yesterday.... by the legendary Steven Weinberg.

Radio 4 is antidote to the "RTE Supporting the Arts" of RTE Radio 1.

It can be heard all over Ireland on 198kHz Long Wave.

The science coverage on BBC4 is pretty special alright. The amazing thing is that the station also covers Art, literature, history, politics and science and usually covers all of these subjects very well.

The LHC switch-on coverage was great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

The science coverage on BBC4 is pretty special alright. The amazing thing is that the station also covers Art, literature, history, politics and science and usually covers all of these subjects very well.

The LHC switch-on coverage was great.

Mind you, Radio 4 can also infuriate.

You are just about to enjoy "From our Own Correspondent" on Sat mornings on Long Wave and you hear the dreaded words:

"Long Wave is now switching over to Test Match Special Cricket".

My poor radio has survived many a kick because of that.

Advertisement