Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving up from the south... Help!

Options
  • 12-08-2008 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice or info on the admin side of moving up from the south to start training in Garnerville, ie...

Some of the documents we have to bring with us...? I have made an appointment to get a National Insurance Number, but what about a drivers licence? Should I apply for a northern one as soon as possible? Can I drive up in my Southern reg. car? And if so for how long until I have to import it officially? Should I have bank account details with me on the first day? I don't have a northern account, and don't see how I can get one without an address, actually same probably applies to getting a northern licence. Can I use Garnerville as my address? Or will the PSNI give me a letter of some sort? Do the PSNI require that I have a medical card before I start training, there is some mention of it in the info pack, but it doesn't actually say if its required...

:o:o

Any other advice on anything to do with moving up would also be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

:eek: And I thought having to go from Belfast to Cookstown for training was going to be an upheaval. Fair play to ya though.

PM PSNI. He moved up from Dublin, so he'll have an idea about what you'll need/need to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Rob-117

I'm in the same boat as you mate, could use answers to all those questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭jim2008

Fiacmar wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice or info on the admin side of moving up from the south to start training in Garnerville, ie...

Some of the documents we have to bring with us...? I have made an appointment to get a National Insurance Number, but what about a drivers licence? Should I apply for a northern one as soon as possible? Can I drive up in my Southern reg. car? And if so for how long until I have to import it officially? Should I have bank account details with me on the first day? I don't have a northern account, and don't see how I can get one without an address, actually same probably applies to getting a northern licence. Can I use Garnerville as my address? Or will the PSNI give me a letter of some sort? Do the PSNI require that I have a medical card before I start training, there is some mention of it in the info pack, but it doesn't actually say if its required...

Any other advice on anything to do with moving up would also be greatly appreciated.
    Why cant you use your bank account in the south?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭MrsGeneHunt

jim2008 wrote: »
    Why cant you use your bank account in the south?

Conversion rate plus prob get hammered with charges. You'd be out a fortune and its too hard earned!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

anyone know how much it cost to bring a car up north, as i image it be a lot of hassle to try and sell a car with in a month and buy a new one up north, has anyone out there gone throught this before or looked into it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭jim2008

redsurfer wrote: »
    anyone know how much it cost to bring a car up north, as i image it be a lot of hassle to try and sell a car with in a month and buy a new one up north, has anyone out there gone throught this before or looked into it
    Check out the DVLNI web site you should find the info there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Documents: Bring Passport, Birth Cert, Driving Licence.

You don't *need* to get your IE licence changed as long as it's in date.

You can drive your ROI reg car for a maximum of 6 months on UK roads before you have to import it.

Bank account details are good to have, but you need a bank account, which means you'll need an address up here - and proof of!

You will also need to be registered with a Doctor up here, so yes, you will need a medical card as well.
    Fiacmar wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Fiacmar

Thanks PSNI, again...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

thanks jimbob and psni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Sadie OOO!!!

psni wrote: »
    Documents: Bring Passport, Birth Cert, Driving Licence.

You don't *need* to get your IE licence changed as long as it's in date.

You can drive your ROI reg car for a maximum of 6 months on UK roads before you have to import it.

Bank account details are good to have, but you need a bank account, which means you'll need an address up here - and proof of!

You will also need to be registered with a Doctor up here, so yes, you will need a medical card as well.

If selected can i join the police force here and still live in the republic as i am from Donegal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement