Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine mark ups?

Options
  • 12-08-2008 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

Just wondering if there is an average mark-up on wines in hotels and restaurants etcetera?

I've read online of 300% being standard and in some cases 500% - these articles were a few years old. I was wondering what it would be now?

Even 300% is scary on a €20.00 bottle - what did it cost when it left the vineyard etcetera?!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i suppose wine would be where the money is made. the margins on food probably isn't great as it spoils etc but wine is a money spinner. generally not a wine fan what really gets my goat when i'm out for a meal is poor choice of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I have often observed a c. 100% mark up on the retail price of the wine - so a bit more than 100% on the wholesales price. Sometimes 200% (but I don't order these!). The problem here I suppose is that there is so much duty slapped on wine that it is already expensive when the restuarant buys it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Reasonable restaurants have a 50% mark up. Many people read this as 100%

Let me explain.

For simplicity's sake let's ignore VAT.
    A restaurant buys a wine at €10 per bottle and sells it for €20.
    half of the selling price is profit, hence 50% mark up.

Using this system off licences have about 25% mark up
    Restaurants around 50%
    And pubs, typically, 40% - 50%

Pubs do tend to want a higher margin on premium products, though. Greedy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

Cheers lads!

Good to see more modest mark-ups out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Let me explain.

Restaurants around 50%

:confused::confused::confused:

Sorry but I don't get this. Mark-up is calculated on cost, not selling price. If the bottle cost €10 and the mark-up was 50% then the selling price would be €15. If the selling price is €20 then mark-up is 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Cameraman

Let me explain.

Restaurants around 50%

I think what you're describing here is the margin - not the markup.

In the example you've given, the margin is indeed 50%, but the markup is 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

muckety wrote: »
    I have often observed a c. 100% mark up on the retail price of the wine - so a bit more than 100% on the wholesales price. Sometimes 200% (but I don't order these!). The problem here I suppose is that there is so much duty slapped on wine that it is already expensive when the restuarant buys it!

I think the duty is a per bottle price of something like 2 or 2.50.

So the more expensive the wine the lower the duty (as a percentage).

Also a restaurant I worked in in Dublin had a mar-up of €10 per bottle fixed price so not everywhere works on a percentage scheme.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

its alot less than that, i know fir a fact smaller off licences have as low as 20 or 30 on common wines, more on exclusives

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭chahop

In Restaurants the general rule is price-vat * 2 + vat ( €10- vat = 7.9*2 =15.8 + vat = €19.12) aprox more expensive wines lower % margin but higher cash margin. Now some places are higher mainly hotels also there are extra costs associated. Eg if you want a better choice, bigger list, cost gos up.

Advertisement