Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First fix wiring for 2 TV points

Options
  • 12-08-2008 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm building an extension at the moment and the electricians are in doing the first fit for wiring. I will be having two TV points in the extension. So what I'm wondering is what is the best wiring option for future proofing TV's there? The plan will be to put a box of some sort in the attic, be it satellite or cable.

My plan is to have:
    • 1 Coax
    • 1 HDMI
    • Power Cabling

Is this enough or should I add any more?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I'm no expert, but from my own experience and if I was to do it again:
    1. Power sockets - consider the future, and ensure you have enough: TV, DVD, Sky, PC, PS3, Wii, XBOX, etc..
    2. Coax for Sky/TV/FM: Sky+/HD requires 2 feeds, plus if you want a return to the attic to redistribute elsewhere in the house, that would be 3 feeds, plus if you want a run for FM/radio, that could be 4.
    3. Phone Point: Needed for Sky Contract.
    4. Cat6 feeding an RJ45 Socket or just a run of Ethernet cable back to the attic to be used for wired home network.
    5. Also consider Speaker wire for surround sound so they can be chased into the walls now, rather than later.
    I would also consider will the TV always be in the same location ? Will it need to move to the other side of the room for family events, seasonal events e.g. Christmas, or just that the lady of the house wants a change. If yes/maybe, you may want to replicate some of this at that location also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Insist on good quality cable, electricians have a nasty habit of installing cheap and nasty coax which can cause problems later. If you are planning to use a PVR like sky + or the upcoming freesat version run two good quality cables (or 3 as Eddie suggests) to your satellite dish location.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Advertisement