Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenomena student accommodation

Options
  • 12-08-2008 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I've just been offered a place in UCD's Glenomena on-campus accommodation complex. Does anybody have any experiece of it? I mean the apartments look nice and shiny on the website but what condition are they in these days after a few years wear and tear? Also, I know that a relaxed, quiet environment is best for postgrads but what kind of atmosphere does the place have? I mean, will it be totally dead and force me to flee in the evenings to my mates' gaffs for a bit of craic. Finally, having no concept of the size of the Belfield campus, how far is Glenomena from the Arts block? Will I get absolutely soaked walking over to it in the rain?
    Many thanks from this Belfield novice.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

lived there last year and this coming year.

apartment wise - they're grand. not as shiny as the website but they're grand.

craic wise - its quite enough that you can get some work done, but there always seems like a party or session on somewhere, especially start/end of term and post exams...

its about a 5 min walk to the arts block tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

This might be helpful.

http://www.ucd.ie/maps/ucdmapengapak_06.pdf

the appartments are nice enough that you'd live there even if not a student. Electricity will be a killer so keep an eye on it and put your radiators and emerssion on timers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

A bunch of my friends lived in Glenamena last year and their apartments were lovely....and it was never that quiet or anything but at the same time it's not total party central either except maybe halloween and the last day of term but sure that's to be expected :D so it is possible to study, unless you have very noisy housemates....I would recommend it and the girls are all planning on going back there this year so I guess that says something too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Finbarr O'Toole

Thanks for the feedback. The atmosphere sounds good with the right balance between work and play - but you always err on the side of play...

One other thing, how fast is the wireless internet in Glenamena? I had mates in on-campus accommodation at another college and the wireless access in the apartments was a sick joke. Just about worked but slower than dial-up. Definitely couldn't be described as 'high speed'.

it was fast enough to watch streamed online content without any lag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Houses 9 and 10 are the best. Better rooms, newer and generally better colour scheme too.

I never had a problem with the speed of the ninternets in Glen. Generally, it's a decent place to live, the best res on campus (roebuck has what feel like marginally bigger rooms but has been turned into a dive by all accounts) and if you have decent housemates you'll have a great time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Internet in UCD at the moment is a bit dicey. Don't know what's going on, but I know people living in a lot of different buildings in Glen, and indeed working in different building on campus who are finding the connection a bit off of late.

Hopefully this will get sorted out before college starts back as it's normally pretty good here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Yeah Glenomena was really nice when I lived there, Its much better than belgrove or merville.
    Its not quite as nice as Roebuck Hall, but for some retarded reason they thought it would be good to put first years in it, so its rapidly deteriorating.

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Houses 9 and 10 are the best. Better rooms, newer and generally better colour scheme too.

I never had a problem with the speed of the ninternets in Glen. Generally, it's a decent place to live, the best res on campus (roebuck has what feel like marginally bigger rooms but has been turned into a dive by all accounts) and if you have decent housemates you'll have a great time.

are 9 & 10 the postgrad houses? is it just those two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Pharm07

got a place in glen also. looking forward to living there sounds good and hopefully gets a decent amount of work done to! moving in with 5 unknowns. my flatmates better not be dirty....hate that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 googler

hey guys,
    does anyone here know what the difference is between the fees charged for glenomena 1/2 and glenomena 3? i got accepted into glenomena 3 and was wondering why it is €318 more expensive?

thanks

That's your electricity for the year.

Be happy with it. The cards cause so many rows. One of our housemates this summer refused to pay any until we threatened to report her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Willum101

got a place in glenomena! house 4 i think. anyone here the same? might find flat my flat mates before moving in lol

how do you know what house you got into? is it by the room number your given?? mine starts with g 3 - -. is that the house number??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 googler

yeah g3 is the house nr, the next number is the apartment number and the next number is the room number!

are houses 9 and 10 def postgrad houses because thats where i am, but im an undergrad

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Bui

googler wrote: »
    are houses 9 and 10 def postgrad houses because thats where i am, but im an undergrad

Houses 9&10 are the year stay options, ie. September though till the end of August (this year everyone has to be out by this Friday). Houses 1-8 are for people who initially put down the college year stay option; when it hits May and people have to move out after exams, there is an option to stay on for the summer if you want and they can re-assign you to a different apartment as they keep some of the houses free for visiting groups and conference guests during the summer months.

Generally Post-grads already know that they are going to be here for the summer so it saves having to move apartments in May and they are put into houses 9&10 straight away where they can stay put. That's not to say it exclusive to post-grads, it's just for people who have chosen the year stay option. Generally there is a good mix in the apartments though, between final years and undergrads, or at least they try to. Also houses 9&10 are only two years old at this stage so are slightly less grubby, with the added bonus of not having to bother with the electricity cards.

good im in glen 3 then. dont have to bother buy the electricity cards. Would it not have made much more sense to do all the house like that instead of the cards?? ucd.....why must you be so unsensible??

Yet again registration is not working. Why can they anticipate the surge in users during exam results, registration, etc and juts make it work?? you'd think they'd learn from pervious years!

Pharm07 wrote: »
    good im in glen 3 then. dont have to bother buy the electricity cards. Would it not have made much more sense to do all the house like that instead of the cards?? ucd.....why must you be so unsensible??

Yet again registration is not working. Why can they anticipate the surge in users during exam results, registration, etc and juts make it work?? you'd think they'd learn from pervious years!

as far as i know, you'll have the electricity card system in G3.
    I was in G5 last year and we had the electricity cards.

Glenomena 3 as far as i know refers to house 9&10, the postgrad year stay ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Moi2008

I got house 9, so does that mean i pay for electricity/bills in my fees?

Moi2008 wrote: »
    I got house 9, so does that mean i pay for electricity/bills in my fees?

Your fees for the first semester (i.e. September - January) will have an extra afew hundred included which covers your electricity for the year (hence the higher fees for option 3). If your apartment exceeds or does not meet this amount you will all be charged /refunded accordingly at the end of the year when you get your deposit back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭MissLe

Think I'm in house number 1! Am a postgrad... Will it be postgrads only in the house or could there be undergrads also? Hope there are no smelly wierdos. Sorry I don't mean to discriminate but...

are 9 & 10 the postgrad houses? is it just those two?
    MissLe wrote: »
    Think I'm in house number 1! Am a postgrad... Will it be postgrads only in the house or could there be undergrads also? Hope there are no smelly wierdos. Sorry I don't mean to discriminate but...

No. Postrads aren't grouped together per se. In my house we were 4 final year students and 2 post grads.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭MissLe

COuld postgrads and first years be mixed?!!

Residences are divided by the students year. Postgrads and first years dont share any residences afaik

FYI: to see what years live where
    http://www.ucd.ie/residences/apply.html

It would be very rare that you get post grads and first years mixed, not to say it doesn't happen though but it is possible and even likely to get a mix of years in your apartment and sometimes final year undergrads are in with post-grads - guess they reckon they will all have a fair bit of study to do or something.

Only time I've heard of it of late is in the Irish House in Merville as you get a mix of everyone in there.

Can't say I've heard of it since the new system came in.

Well a friend of mine was in an apartment in glen last year (she was final year) with a phd student, some master's students and some other final year students.

And in both first and 2nd year she also had a mix of years all in the glen so I think while there might be general guidelines about who gets put with who it is only stuck to about 80% of the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

I'm in G4.....is this a postgrad only house or a mix of everyone?

MuddyDog wrote: »
    I'm in G4.....is this a postgrad only house or a mix of everyone?
    This is a very short thread, you've no excuse for not reading the posts. The answer has already been given.

• Advertisement

Now now, some people are not good at grasping the whole read-the-thread concept. One more last time for those who have not got the hang of this just yet:

There are no designated "post-grad" or "undergrad" houses. Post-grads generally tendto choose the full year Option 3 as they have to work the whole year, so they tend to be put stright into houses 9&10 - along with any undergrads who also choose this option.

And before anyone panics, if you are not in houses 9&10 that doesnt mean you're not able to stay the whole year either.

Other than that, everyone is thrown in the houses in a nice big mix. Its all fine and lovely, so just relax and see who you end up with.

Point to take home: the houses are mixed. yay!

Advertisement