Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this bloke for real????.

Options
  • 12-08-2008 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭

take a look at the advert below came across it on the buy&sell,jesus some people would try anything,needs to be reported to buy&sell.ie

Instructions for how to find Channel 4 CH4 in Ireland Leinster Co. Dublin €5.00
    on free to air satelite dishes. Any brand eg Lidl Aldi etc. Fed up of S4C? 2 min set up,€5, 0863136093

http://www.buyandsell.ie/browse.php?m=23&s=23&g=00302&o=20

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you're stupid enough to pay for a service like that then you deserve to lose a lot more than €5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I did once ponder with the idea of advertising the instructions beside someone like that before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Thing is, as much as it's a laugh and that guy sounds like a tit for trying to sell this kind of information - you'd be surprised how many people out there that haven't a clue about this type of thing at all and would probably spend the 5 euro to get the information sent to them in clear and plain non technical English.

Not everyone has access to the internet, reads forums, blogs etc., or is as technical or even half as technical as you all on here.

I'd bet if you wrote a nice manual for info like how to tune in Ch4 and the other freesat channels and different receivers, printed a load of them off and set up a stall at a market for a weekend - you'd sell an awful lot of them manuals.

I still think it's a load of crap tbh but can't knock a guy for trying to make a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

There was/is an Irish website that charged 10 euro for this info not so long ago

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

bassy wrote: »
    needs to be reported to buy&sell.ie

Why would you report it , he is doing nothing wrong... if people already know how to do this they won't be paying him €5..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

cause he,s taking money from vunerable folk,you don,t put a charge on something thats free.

jhegarty wrote: »
    Why would you report it , he is doing nothing wrong... if people already know how to do this they won't be paying him €5..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

cause he,s taking money from vunerable folk,you don,t put a charge on something thats free.
    Seems to be more useful than fortune-telling or an Irish summer 20008 weather forecast.

Welcome to the knowledge economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

take a look at the advert below came across it on the buy&sell,jesus some people would try anything,needs to be reported to buy&sell.ie

Hey. Lets put this in some context.

As posters have mentioned, there is a total lack of knowledge out there.

When people call around I still get interrogated by them cos they can't believe that its legal to receive the UK terrestial channels on sat for free.

Lived with two girls at one stage who couldn't understand how the video could still work if NTL brokedown.:rolleyes:.................

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I remember someone who apparently used to go around houses charging €10 to tune in UTV into their Sky boxes, back when UTV went FTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

I think you're confusing him with Sky and UPC :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

'cause he's taking money from vunerable folk. You don't put a charge on something thats free.

It's not free information unless you take the trouble to go to a library and use the Internet (assuming you know how). He's charging for the piece of paper and the work he did in researching and typing it up. It's no more "free" than a book of mathematical formulae. You can look them up on the Internet or you can pay for the book.

He's providing a service for which some people will pay, (not necessarily "vulnerable" people but probably computer-illiterate) and good luck to him. He's one step ahead of the whingers who are out of work and expect tax payers to support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭radiofoot

It's not free information unless you take the trouble to go to a library and use the Internet (assuming you know how). He's charging for the piece of paper and the work he did in researching and typing it up. It's no more "free" than a book of mathematical formulae. You can look them up on the Internet or you can pay for the book.

He's providing a service for which some people will pay, (not necessarily "vulnerable" people but probably computer-illiterate) and good luck to him. He's one step ahead of the whingers who are out of work and expect tax payers to support them.

I agree with the sentiment, but this doesn't necessarily mean that he isn't also being supported by taxpayers

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭thomasking22008

i would not sell give out information for how to add channel for 5 euro it easy look up internt and how to put add channel to watch it for free ch4 buy and sell should never put on info

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

There is nothing illegal about the advert so there is no reason why Buy and Sell would refuse the business. It is up to individuals whether they choose to take up his offer or not. This thread is more about consumer issues than satellite.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Trevord wrote: »

Hey. Lets put this in some context.

As posters have mentioned, there is a total lack of knowledge out there.

When people call around I still get interrogated by them cos they can't believe that its legal to receive the UK terrestial channels on sat for free.

Lived with two girls at one stage who couldn't understand how the video could still work if NTL brokedown.:rolleyes:.................

The same could be said about buying a haynes manual to find out where something is in your car. Or you could look it up on the internet or free. Nothing illegal about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

byte wrote: »
    I remember someone who apparently used to go around houses charging €10 to tune in UTV into their Sky boxes, back when UTV went FTA.

I seem to remember my parents paying a tv repair man to tune in what is now known as sky one on cable many, MANY years ago. This may have influenced my career choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If he spends 5mins on phone explaining it, that's cheaper than a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

He's only charging a fiver. Quite reasonable!

inflation,its gone up to 8 euros.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Does he take Paypal?

• Advertisement

he,ll take anything :D

Onikage wrote: »
    Does he take Paypal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

So how do you do it....save me a fiver :D

Advertisement