Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OWS and trouble with goggles , advise needed

• 11-08-2008 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

hello guy
    I am just wondering do any of ye out there have constant trouble with yer goggles , i do , i find this especially off putting in the ow. The problems i have are :
    1. They slip down from my eyebrows into me eyeline
    2. They leak
    3. They fog up
    If anyone has solutions to these problems i would appreciate the advice

I think maybe wide rimmed goggles and my ponytail maybe the cause of some of the problems ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Have you tried many brands? It could be just that the one's you're using are not suitable for you. I can't imagine he ponytail being the problem but if your face is small then maybe a wide pair are not the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Seres wrote: »
    hello guy
    I am just wondering do any of ye out there have constant trouble with yer goggles , i do , i find this especially off putting in the ow. The problems i have are :
    1. They slip down from my eyebrows into me eyeline
    2. They leak
    3. They fog up
    If anyone has solutions to these problems i would appreciate the advice

I think maybe wide rimmed goggles and my ponytail maybe the cause of some of the problems ?

The slipping and leakign are part of the same problem - they don't fit right. What type of goggles are you using? The pair i have go below the eyebrow and tend not to move. Are you using a half mask type goggle? Are you using a hat?

It's all about finding a pair that suit you - is the bump from your ponytail moving the strap? Perhaps a pair where the strap splits into two? Or having the strap going higher on your head rather than where your ponytail bump is

If you swim with others hassle them for tips - they may be able to look at your setup and advise.

Also - spit in your goggles and rinse them out when the anti fog coating wears out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

The bane of most swimmers lives. I know it can take ages to find a pair which suit the shape of your face and work perfectly. Personally when I find a type that works for me I buy a couple of pairs to have spares.

For the fogging up, I leave a small amount of water in the sockets of the goggles. That way when I’m moving my head it clears any condensation in them.

Is your pair a split strap? It may help to place one part above and another below your ponytail. I don’t thin this is your main problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Why not try no goggles for one of the shorter swims or when training. I stopped using them a few years ago mainly because it is much easier to see where you are going without them. Initially I kept my eyes closed when my face was in the water but soon learned to keep them open all the time. Your eyes will sting at first but you will soon overcome that. I sometimes wear them for long swims but can comfortably do without them for up to an hour..

seaswimmer, unfortunately that's not a practical solution for contact lenses wearers :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

thanks everyone
    just like some of you suggested i do think the type of goggles i have dont suit my eyes , the part that goes round my eyes seem way too big and i think the two straps would also make a difference , i previously had smaller lensed googles with two straps but they broke and i ended up buying the other type cause thats all they seem to have in the places that i shop
    Seaswimmer , ya would love to try your suggestion but unfortunately i wear contacts !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

Yeah there's very little choice in shops & gyms. I'd definatly suggest going to the net. There are a number of british store which I regularly use.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

Hi,

maybe a few tips which work with some of my athletes:

- wear goggles under your cap so that the rubber does not slide on the cap, due water friction or someone else hitting your head.

- try to make sure your hair do not have too much shampoo or conditioner which make your hair moving your cap and goggles.

- when buying gogle in the shop get always a very well known INTERNATIONAL brand.

- in the shop try each eyes of the goggles one by one and make sure they stick on your eye without the rubber straps on your head for about 3 secs, then you will know they are right for you.

- if bad goggles, glue a tiny bit the rubber to the goggle, sponge gasket goggles are not good for open water. (don't glue your eyes :p)

- always press the goggles on your eyes before going swimming that there is suction effect on your yes. if it does not.... water will get in.

- most of swimmers have "leaking" problem because their head position when they dive, or push off the walls is incorrect. There is lots of qualified teachers around will can help you for this.

then always were goggles in long swims that you are used to, never use new equipment the week before an event. The last bit maybe is to always practice from time to time to swim without goggles.

regarding contacts I wear some for over 10 years, played water polo swim in the sea etc... it depends the shapes of your eyes (mine are smalls). But I would recommend to find proper goggles.

Finally fogs problem can be solve by two ways : adding a tiny bit (1/4 of a drop) of a greassy thing such as shampoo and it will never fog again. the other way is to live the goggles in teh water before the swim for a couple of minutes for the goggles to have teh same temperature than the water.... the second never worked well for me.

Hope that help.

Seb

locteau wrote: »
    Hope that help.
    Seb

good tips Seb. I had never thought of trying each eye individually when doing the stick-without-straps test. One of those kick myself moments as soon as you said it.

I lost my contacts in the swim in in my second triathlon (IMDE 06), 180km on the bike in a thunderstorm without contacts is not fun but I take your point that people have different shaped eyes and contacts come in different sizes.

I hope Seb hasn't scared anyone, when he talks about someone kicking you in the head, he is mostly talking about triathlon. My experience of open water swimming events is that they are a much more civilised bunch. Mind you with the advent of olympic OW swimming, we could well be going down the contact sport direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Clseeper wrote: »
    The bane of most swimmers lives. I know it can take ages to find a pair which suit the shape of your face and work perfectly. Personally when I find a type that works for me I buy a couple of pairs to have spares.

ya , just read today that micheal phelps had a problem with his googles in one of his races , what hope is there then for us lot getting it right :confused: !!!

thanks everyone for all your advice will try out all the suggestions till i get it right !

Hunnymonster my first triathlon is in three weeks , really nervous about swim and the thoughts of a possible kick in the head form some aggressive triers is not helping :eek:

• Advertisement

Seres, start at the back and you won't get kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

Good luck, the first is always the more difficult, because you go in a unknown adventure, and people might under estimate themselves.

You will be fine, and in a few month you will be laughing at it......

come back and tell us how you got on !

Advertisement