Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help with some notes

Options
  • 11-08-2008 4:49pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hey all,

As you may or may not know i have been granted a meeting with customs down here in cork on wednesday the 13th. i am currently putting notes and questions together to ask the customs officer in the hopes of helping all of us understand better how they are dealing with airsoft items.
    does anyone here have questions they would like answered ? or any issues they would like raised - not specific cases but general queries prehaps as to their sop relating to airsoft equipment ?

Thanks

Paul Horgan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Ask them if they play around with our AEG's when they get them in the office :D

Seriously though, the only thing I can think of is to ensure that they realise that they are toys, and as such should not be blocked or labeled as firearms. And of course, ensure that they are classed as toys for vat/customs charges calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

Do notes/letters from retailers attached to packages re-assuring that they are only toys/toy accessories have any impact as regards items being held?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Lomarticus

Can you check why there is any issue at all with things like <=1J rated springs, Barrels, gears and other genuinely innocent spare parts required for normal maintenance of our sporting equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Hi Paul,

1) Is it the country of origin that's the problem or the fact that the suppliers are not declaring the full value?

2) Are certain brands causing more bother than others?

3) Is it the issue that they ( authorities ) are afraid that certain models could possibly be modified to fire live munition?

4) Is it lack of education on the subject matter?

5) Have illegal firearms been seized, where said item was described as "Airsoft"?

6) Is it a labelling issue? Or a lack of one defining toys?

7) Is the issue that real steel parts have been purchased to modify toys?

8) Is the issue that individuals within the community have openly admitted to manufacturing or modifying airsoft models for public use? ( Adapted weapons )

9) Are they aware of the IAA?

10) Do their standing orders cover "Airsoft toys"?

These are just off the top of my head. If I think of anymore I'll let you know.

Steve.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Crave

Can they let ems it's ok to ship to ireland. And any other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

As far as Im aware the IAA are preparing similar information, contact them, and I imagine you will receive a concise set of info and points.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Sam Fisher

Can you ask them when can I have my silencer and my tornado?!:D

Seriouly, thanks for doing this for everyone. I respect that customs are doing their job, if there's anything that we can do to make their job easier, i.e. asking the oversea retailers to clearly state what the shipment is, etc. The easier we can make their job, the quicker we can get our orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Just seen this topic now and too late to contribute anything useful, but I'd like to say thank you for your efforts and that I hope you meet with a favourable response and an open mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

horgan_p wrote: »
    hey all,

As you may or may not know i have been granted a meeting with customs down here in cork on wednesday the 13th. i am currently putting notes and questions together to ask the customs officer in the hopes of helping all of us understand better how they are dealing with airsoft items.
    does anyone here have questions they would like answered ? or any issues they would like raised - not specific cases but general queries prehaps as to their sop relating to airsoft equipment ?

Thanks

Paul Horgan

good luck paul

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭davidd24

Hope you make some real headway man,fair play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Sam Fisher

How did you get on Paul?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

i got on really well ,a lot of headway made.
    i can answer a couple of questions right away

1)they are targetting everything coming in from hong kong - not just airsoft gear.

2) those "declarations" that some companies from hong kong strap to the side of the box - rubbish.dont help at all.

as i can i'll put up the rest of my notes and ye can figure it out yerselves from there after that

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭RC car fanatic

will our packages be seized due to the metal aeg thingy?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

metal or plastic doesnt SEEM to come into it.
    remember i only got 2 meetings totaling 1.5 - 2 hours with them.they're hardly going to tell me everything......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

will our packages be seized due to the metal aeg thingy?

I think that has more to do with the uk customs issue (althought i don't believe the statement you quoteing as uk are interested in the resriction of all rifs not not the material there made from. And the source of that information is not the best in the first place.

I don;t know if paul will be able to confirm irish customs stand point thought.

Advertisement