Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting into web design

Options
  • 11-08-2008 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm currently employed as an animator. But I am thinking of branching out into web design. I have no training in the discipline, other than what I've taught myself through Adobe Photoshop and Dreamweaver. After many, many teething problems, I've managed to get my first website up. It's just an online portfolio really, and something I just did to teach myself the Dreamweaver software.

What I'm wondering is, is web design a difficult industry to get into? Do I need BAs and MAs coming out the wazoo, or can a young upstart like myself get into it through pure moxy and online tutorials? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and here's the website I created. (of course, there's a bit of embellishment on it when it comes to Dreamweaver!) Don't laugh...!- www.peterslattery.org

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

It's very easy to get into web design without having a specific degree in it (there aren't really any) because a designer mostly gets work on his or her portfolio, but it's a bit of a challenge to get your actual skills up to a level where you'll be able to get a job as a designer. Just knowing how to build as site doesn't make you a designer. Also, there's a huge difference between building a site as a hobbyiest and building a site as a professional.

The easiest way (IMO) is to learn your XHTML/CSS really well so you can turn any design into a working site. Then try get a job as a HTML/CSS coder or Junior Designer in a company and learn the ropes while improving your design skills.

Having a background as an animator will be of benefit to you. I'd recommend learning a bit about Flash (if you don't already) as that will make you more employable.

If you want to become a web designer, here's the types of things you need to be aiming to learn. Layout, typography, colour theory, usability, interface design, good use of contrast and user psychology. From the technical side you need to know XHTML/CSS well, web standards, accessibilty and making sites search engine friendly.

Step 1 would be to learn XHTML & CSS well. Dreamweaver is a useful tool, but you need to know how XHTML & CSS work, if you want to be a professional.

I'd recommend the book I linked to in a previous post to get you started.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56861762&postcount=12

Hope that helps - any more questions fire away!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Thanks for your reply, P. I understand that this isn't something you just pick up and that's it. I was just wondering if it's worth putting some time into, learning what's required by myself with the goal of getting work. What I mean is, is it something you can learn by yourself, without having to go to college for a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

absolutely, as p points out colleges are not really able to keep up with trends & practices in web design & development. One thing I will say, everyone with a computer thinks they can create websites, so quality is the thing that will set you apart. best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you've already got animation skills with Flash then you should be able to get work :)

If you check out http://www.creativeireland.com and http://www.iwf.ie you'll find a lot of the Irish designers / developers hangout there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Many thanks for the replies guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Sanjuro wrote: »
    What I'm wondering is, is web design a difficult industry to get into? Do I need BAs and MAs coming out the wazoo, or can a young upstart like myself get into it through pure moxy and online tutorials? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hmm... like a lot of things a lot of the time its not about what you know but who you know.

Let me put this into perspective ..

I'm an electronic engineer ... yet I'm doing graphics / webdesign / app dev / seo / flash ... and so on ... :)

I knew someone a few years back that said oh he could do a website for you ... and it just went from there.

I'm self taught on everything so I can't really say what help a BA or an MA would be to you ... possibly loads possibly none. I did think about going back and doing a graphic design course about 2 - 3 years ago and I always wonder about it and what it could teach me and help me with.

What I will say is ... focus on standards if possible. Read forums lots and actually ask questions on there a lot .. there is a wealth of information out there and don't be afraid to say ... I don't know how to do this that or the other. (I think its important at the same time that you develop skills where you can learn yourself and problem solve so don't just always opt to ask when you run into your first bit of trouble .. but maybe thats just me)

Best of luck,
    James

Advertisement