Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name that game (PC, 1980's, French?)

Options
  • 11-08-2008 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hello.
    I have the vaguest recollection of a very cool PC game from the late 1980's, in which you played as some sort of scientist (I think). You end up travelling to an alien planet and being imprisoned... You befriend one of the aliens (they are very tall and humanoid), but are betrayed at some point by a look-alike... The game had great graphics for it's day, and looked a bit like a 3D platformer. There is one sequence in particular where you are escaping from pursuing aliens, running along an elevated walkway. The walkway collapses and you are hanging by one hand over the alien city... Does ANYONE remember this game and what it might be called? Sorry for the vague description!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

al415 wrote: »
    Hello.
    I have the vaguest recollection of a very cool PC game from the late 1980's, in which you played as some sort of scientist (I think). You end up travelling to an alien planet and being imprisoned... You befriend one of the aliens (they are very tall and humanoid), but are betrayed at some point by a look-alike... The game had great graphics for it's day, and looked a bit like a 3D platformer. There is one sequence in particular where you are escaping from pursuing aliens, running along an elevated walkway. The walkway collapses and you are hanging by one hand over the alien city... Does ANYONE remember this game and what it might be called? Sorry for the vague description!

Another World I believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_World_(video_game)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 al415

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭TygerKrash

Wicked game.. I particularily liked the part where they put you in a colloseum in a tank and you just have to mash buttons... blowing up random things until you find the combination that activates the ejector seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

i always mixed that up with flashback, which looked waaaay better

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Flashback was a good game alright but it was to hyped up before it's release so I was a little let down when I finally got hold of it. I think we're forgetting the best game Delphine Software ever released.... No not Another world or Flash back but the legendary Adventure game Cruise for a Corpse! As Delphine went bankrupt all there games are now abandonware. Yep you can download Another World, Flashback, Cruise for a Corpse etc and emulate them with Dosbox or ScummVM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭TygerKrash

i always mixed that up with flashback, which looked waaaay better
    Flashback was much more polished alright. But It was a bit too much of a platform style game for my liking, reminded me of prince of persia (which was also a great game) but I preferred the cinematic feel of Another World.
    As Delphine went bankrupt all there games are now abandonware
    Really?
    Thats odd I though I recalled seeing some kind of Anniversary release of
    Another world ( or Out Of this World as it was sometimes titled) a year or so back in HMV. Sure someone hasn't picked up the license?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep. There was an updated version of Another World out last year.

It was also available on the SNES or the MegaDrive as Out of This World. Might be handier to emulate that way as DosBox can be a pain.

Cruise for a Corpse was an outstanding game... I didn't know ScummVM emulated it... must look into that. Loved Future Wars too... although it was rock hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Cruise for a corpse was amazing, but it was flawed imo,

Because the clock system could **** up your gamesave. If you didnt do certain things at certain times you would be stuck forever, unless you started again, and there was no real way to know if you were caught in one of these situations.

But I loved it anyway

Advertisement