Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does your jeep fare up in water?

Options
  • 11-08-2008 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Just reading the threads on flooding there in Motors, and the thought occured to me of how much damage you can do to the jeep operating in flood conditions solely from the water - it's not deep enough to make the car float away.
    I'd have thought having a hot engine operating in cold water'd be dangerous as hell for it, as well as the electrics in the engine bay getting soaked and ruined. Also the water going up the tailpipe.
    Or are most things in the engine bay waterproofed except for the air intake?
    I'm a novice mechanically so feel free to not mock.

If I was using it on a flooded road I personally wouldn't use it in water that came up to the door and even that is dangerous, but in regular cars I've seen them start to float in seven inches.
    Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Diesels are pretty good at resisting water, wading is a problem when you have been driving at high speed and the diffs etc are hot, driving into cold water causes the diff/gearboxes to cool down and suck water into the breather tubes this can cause big damage if not seen to immediately, also because floodwaters usually have lots of silt and abrasive materials in them.
    I have driven my landcruiser into water that was bumper height, kept a bow wave going and was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My yoke has the air intake extended to about 1.6m in height (from factory), has syphon shaped breather pipes for the clutch and gearbox that extend the height to about 1.2 m, has a U-bend tailpipe that's supposed to keep out water (as long as the engine is running) ...there are videos on youtube of Syncros in the water up to the windows ...yet VW recommends a max wading depth for the diesel of 30 cm.

(beyond 30 cm the turbo would become submerged which could cause it to crack if it was hot. Also the timing belt would be running in water, which might cause problems)

But there's another reason why I personally won't be playing in water when it can be avoided. Silty, mucky water entering the chassis frame and cross members and depositing wet muck in inaccessible nooks and crannies breeding rust just doesn't appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

They say that if you have to cross a river in flood conditions that a car is better than a jeep. they reckon the bigger tyres on a jeep can cause it to float easier and lose traction resulting in it getting swept downstream.
    My machines all eat exhausts, when you dunk a boat trailer in the water several times the hot exhaust gets cooled quickly and they dont last long. also brakes arent so good after either.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Keep out is the best advice.The dirt gets in everywhere.Axles,brakes,electrics are expensive to fix. Unless you know the depth all the way through its begging for trouble.

Advertisement