Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are you in your visa application?

Options
  • 10-08-2008 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where we can discuss where we are in your OZ/NZ visa application. If you've already gone through it you can give advice and sympathise!

I'm in the process of applying for permanent residency through NZ's partnership scheme. At the moment I'm waiting for my stupid police certs to arrive from Ireland. I think I may have to make some calls later and find out where it is!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

watna wrote: »
    Hi, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where we can discuss where we are in your OZ/NZ visa application. If you've already gone through it you can give advice and sympathise!

I'm in the process of applying for permanent residency through NZ's partnership scheme. At the moment I'm waiting for my stupid police certs to arrive from Ireland. I think I may have to make some calls later and find out where it is!

I got those certs Quick enough, it was about 2-3 weeks they quoted 6. My visa status is to Oz and passports should be being Stamped this week and returned to us.

Happy to assit anyone if need be as this is where I started the process with help from Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Zambia232 wrote: »
    I got those certs Quick enough, it was about 2-3 weeks they quoted 6. My visa status is to Oz and passports should be being Stamped this week and returned to us.

Happy to assit anyone if need be as this is where I started the process with help from Dave.

Hmm, 2-3 weeks is good although things have got more complicated for me. My partner also needs a police cert from Ireland because he lived there for more than 12 months. As he is a kiwi it's causing some problems to get it. I had to fax off his birth cert to the garda station in Dalkey the other day so I need to see where they're at with that now!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Hi folks, just curious are those visa you are discussing short term or long term and if long term are you moving from here to there, and how difficult is it to do so in terms of getting a visa and work etc?

Thanks

Axwell wrote: »
    Hi folks, just curious are those visa you are discussing short term or long term and if long term are you moving from here to there, and how difficult is it to do so in terms of getting a visa and work etc?

Thanks

I'm currently on a working holiday visa. That was super easy to get. It lets me work in NZ for a year. I can work for any one company for any length of time I just can't take on permanent employment. I'm working on a contract at the moment.

I'm applying for permanent residency in New Zealand. I can get this because my partner is a kiwi and in NZ you don't need to be married to be allowed to live with your partner in NZ. You have to be in a genuine relationship and have lots of evidence of that though.

If you're skilled you can get a skilled migrants' visa. I'm not too sure about these. Check out www.immigration.govt.co.nz to see the different visas. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell you about Oz too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

im on a working holiday visa now... 7 months down.
    have got a work sponsor for another 12 months of a general work visa. then need to get residency. then need to go back to college (admittedly, that part of the plan only happened today, so ill see...)...

still in panic mode about sending off next visa, mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I'm in Australia on a de facto spouse visa. Been here about 6 months now. I can probably offer advice to anyone looking to do the same. I have a general idea of other visas too.

Thank god I'm out of the whole application process. It took forever to get everything together!

Axwell wrote: »

Thanks

My Visa is Permanent

Well it all depends on what you intend to go over as Australia has openings for several job types you would have to specify what it is you do and I may be able to suggest a route.

I would always recommend the working holiday visa as a means to having a look at oz. The permanent one is a pain to organise.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Hey guys, I'm at the initial stages of a employer sponsorshi 457 for Western Australia. The deal is that after 2 years of service they sponsor my PR for me and then I can go where I wish.

I have the post, the flight is booked. The visa applications for this employer (dept of Ed) are done in bulk, so I'll get my number in September, then the Visa in December, then leaving in January.

I have all my documents ready to go, including my Police Cert (only took 3 weeks), so hopefully, it'll be straightforward. Famous last words perhaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Ive got a 1 year working visa for OZ, GF has 6 month holiday visa which is all we are staying. Do we need proof of funds in bank account?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

457's Rock

i have my residency now, contemplatin dual citizenship but that cost a fortune and there are a few downsides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

I came in Feb 06 on the WHV, then did the de facto at the end of that. So I'm in my 2 year provisional residency stage now. Should be applying for my PR in May of next year.

457's Rock

Nice to hear someone say that! I've had a lot of criticism for doing things this way. I'm a teacher and we're in demand, but only in certain areas and depending on your subject. For me this is a chance to 'suck it and see' without flogging the gaff and spending a fortune applying for PR, to only arrive and be shipped off where they want me anyway. May as well do my time and know what I'm getting into in advance!

Have my medicals this week and I get my TRN in a couple of weeks. The whole thing is supposed to be tied up by Dec, and I leave a month later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

@ watna and Zambia

How did you go about getting your police clearance? Just fax in your details to your local police station?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Unfortuatly Our great Garda aren't the quickest here.

It took them 2 months to redo the Irish Visa for my wife. She moved to Ireland in 2006 and was renewing her visa.

I hope when I put in for my Oz Permanent Visa soon that we won't have as much trouble.

At least I can bypass the temp residency visa thing as we have been married longer than two years and have a kid.

I’ve grown up here in Ireland but can’t wait to get back to OZ love the place.

Daithio wrote: »
    @ watna and Zambia

How did you go about getting your police clearance? Just fax in your details to your local police station?

You write to your local superintendent, requesting a police clearance. You must enclose a stamp self addressed envelope, a copy of your birth cert and a list of your addresses in Ireland (either from the age of 16 or for the last 10 years, can't recall)

They tend to reply more quickly to a nicely worded letter ;)

http://www.garda.ie/faq.html#C2

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭k974

457's Rock

i have my residency now, contemplatin dual citizenship but that cost a fortune and there are a few downsides.

how does it cost a fortune? wat are the downsides? i'm a dual irish australian citzen also living in brisbane you sure your not mixed up

kittex wrote: »
    You write to your local superintendent, requesting a police clearance. You must enclose a stamp self addressed envelope, a copy of your birth cert and a list of your addresses in Ireland (either from the age of 16 or for the last 10 years, can't recall)

They tend to reply more quickly to a nicely worded letter ;)

http://www.garda.ie/faq.html#C2

If you're not in Ireland it's a bit more complicated but is pretty much the same.

The only thing I'd add is you need to say what country you're applying to for the visa. Mine has "for nz consular purposes only" stamped across the top.

It took about 5 weeks for me to get to the clearance sent to nz.

If you're not in Ireland it's a bit more complicated but is pretty much the same.

The only thing I'd add is you need to say what country you're applying to for the visa. Mine has "for nz consular purposes only" stamped across the top.

It took about 5 weeks for me to get to the clearance sent to nz.

I'm in the UK and that's all I had to do for my Irish police cert. It took 10 days. Yes, it takes more time if you're further away, but that's all you're supposed to need to do.

For my UK one, I had to get a Subject Access report, covering the time I'd lived in the country. But that's nothing to do with the Gards. If you've been in another country for years, then you need whatever they provide in that country, plus a cert for your time in Ireland.

Why what hoops did they make you jump through?

It's recently been simplified, i do know that. you used to have to do something bizarre at HQ/Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Lazer Smart

Me and my girlfriend are in oz on working holiday visas at the moment (6 months in). We're planning on staying longer and looking at our options.

I qualify for a skills visa (175) so im considering applying for it. Can anyone whose gone through the process give me a general idea of difficulties with it? It seems relatively straight forward but i've heard reports from people saying it was difficult and quite drawn out.

I may only stay for a second year or maybe longer considering how things are workwise in ireland at the time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Me and my girlfriend are in oz on working holiday visas at the moment (6 months in). We're planning on staying longer and looking at our options.

I qualify for a skills visa (175) so im considering applying for it. Can anyone whose gone through the process give me a general idea of difficulties with it? It seems relatively straight forward but i've heard reports from people saying it was difficult and quite drawn out.

I may only stay for a second year or maybe longer considering how things are workwise in ireland at the time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Its not worth it for a second year.

• Advertisement

kittex wrote: »
    I'm in the UK and that's all I had to do for my Irish police cert. It took 10 days. Yes, it takes more time if you're further away, but that's all you're supposed to need to do.

For my UK one, I had to get a Subject Access report, covering the time I'd lived in the country. But that's nothing to do with the Gards. If you've been in another country for years, then you need whatever they provide in that country, plus a cert for your time in Ireland.

Why what hoops did they make you jump through?

It's recently been simplified, i do know that. you used to have to do something bizarre at HQ/Phoenix Park.

Oh, I just needed on for my OH too because I'm applying for a partnership visa.

It took me weeks to get them to agree to write one for him as he's a new zealand citizen and not an Irish one. They had me calling over all the place (to the vetting unit in Templogue and various garda stations and embassies) until eventually a random garda to put one together for him as long as I faxed a certified copy of his birth cert from NZ. It then arrived 3 weeks later. They could have done that in the first place but I was ringing all sorts of places!

Oh, I just needed on for my OH too because I'm applying for a partnership visa.

It took me weeks to get them to agree to write one for him as he's a new zealand citizen and not an Irish one. They had me calling over all the place (to the vetting unit in Templogue and various garda stations and embassies) until eventually a random garda to put one together for him as long as I faxed a certified copy of his birth cert from NZ. It then arrived 3 weeks later. They could have done that in the first place but I was ringing all sorts of places!
    Total gobs.
    Yeah, good point. You're entitled to one for whatever country you've lived in, for the time you lived in it, but need your home country birth cert.

I remember a Garda telling me years ago they were expected to give these checks out but that the Gardai computers weren't really full up to the task of proper criminal checks. They were paranoid about approving people in case there was something they didn't know about. So there was a lot of buck passing. But I think that's why they made a simpler route via the local super, who has more access to full records.

Mine has come through much more quickly than the UK one to be fair.

Advertisement