Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY (cabling for wall mounted LCD TV)

Options
  • 10-08-2008 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,

Not sure if theres any connections/cables you can buy for sky.
    I have bought a new house and I'm thinking of putting the tv on the fire breast, as the house is not fully built I would like to put a powerpoint / sky going straight to the tv but the sky box in a cabinet int the corner 20-25ft, all cables would be hid behund the plaster boards.
    Sky also needs a phone line pluged into the back but this will be ok as this will be in the corner near the cabinet.

My SKY box is also HD.

Is there anything I can do to make this project work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Is the chimney breast going to be used for an open fire? I would be concerned about the heat affecting the cables. ?? Route the cables via ducting behind the plaster board in case they need to accessed later (not sure if this is overkill)

Other than that make sure its good quality cable CT100 or similar. Run two cables as you will need 2 for HD or Sky+. May be no harm to invest in the amplifier if there are going to be a number of joins. Depends on how the cable is run for the Dish to the box. Very long lenghts and joins can lead to signal loss.
    http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_Amplifier_4_Way__for_sky_digital.html
    http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Cables__Switches_and_Tools.html

(Not affiliated with Satellite.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭emaherx

The OP said the SKY box will be in the corner of the room so, the two lengths of CT100 will need to run to the corner of the room to feed the SKY box (no harm sending some to TV also)

So you need some way of sending the HD Video signal to the Chimney breast. You could bury The HDMI cables in the wall if the run is short enough or You can get devices to send HDMI signal over Cat5 or 6 cables up to and over 300ft.

I am building a house my self, I have two lengths of CAT6, a length of coax and 3 RCA leads running from the chimney breast to the back of where I'm putting my Sat Receiver and other AV equipment.

I also have 4 lengths of coax 2 lengths of Cat6 running from attic to where the Sat Receiver, DTT Receiver And DVD Recorder will be.

As well as 2 lengths of Coax and a length of Cat6 from the attic to to the TV itself.

I might not need all these cables and any I don't use will be left hidden in the wall. But better they are there than rip up newly plastered walls.;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

don't go relying on cat5/6 for hdmi signals unless you really really have to (i..e length), for a run from sky box to tv, even at 25ft get a proper hdmi cable. saves a lot of hassle messing around with baluns and flaky connections

• Registered Users Posts: 13 19hunters

the CAT5e /6 systems are getting more reliable and i would run a couple for future proof i.e internet Tv etc. Another alternative toHDMI would be to run component which will give you 720p which while not technicaly as good as 1080p many if not all will fail to realise difference. It is a cheaper option than expensive HDMI cables. Just need to run audio along side from HD box.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

component will carry same as hdmi. it's not limited to 1080i. in fact component can carry full 1080p, the problem being there is no protection flag so the tv people don't like it.

i can't see why all these alternatives to hdmi are bing suggested. it's the simplest solution for the user, is future proof (Component definitely isn't seeing as though any new sky box no longer has component), and an 8m cable won't be that expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

CT100 hasn't been manufactured since Raydex went bust in 2005 so best of luck in finding some old stock.

I'd suggest WF100 and install twice as many cables as you think you'll need! (You'll thank me for this, later.)

BTW, if you employ someone else to do the plastering, there's a 50% chance that he'll put a nail through a cable and not tell you.

Advertisement