Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoddy car service

Options
  • 10-08-2008 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I had an issue with my car yesterday on the way to work there was a loud "pop" I had to pull in and be rescued as I didn’t want to drive the car.

The rescue guy said that one of the pipes connected to a valve "probably" blew off. The car was towed to my local garage who had recently carried out some work. Basically I got the timing belt changed last week and was driving it for a couple of days. When the mechanic changed the timing belts he would have had to remove these pipes to access the rest of the engine, so it looks like he didn’t secure the pipes back.

If it turns out to be more than just a disconnected pipe, and if this has a knock on effect to the rest of the engine, (its a TDI so if oil etc entered into the turbo it would destroy it) what type of come back do I have, the car was not bought in this garage and is not under warranty etc.

I have had previous work done here and after a week there was a similar issue with the brand covering half the costs..

They are a SIMI garage, and I have a good relationship with them I just need to know if I have any backup if there is a different more expensive problem with the car (turbo etc)

Thanks for reading any advise appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Any takers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

If the most recent fault is as a result of the work completed by the garage, ie, not fastening pipes back correctly after changing the timing belt, then the would be responsible for any damage caused due to their negligence, and I would imagine the recovery costs that you also had to incurr. simple as really. If it all goes sour, the difficulty might be proving that the faulty pipes were due to a failing with the mechanic doing the work. If you have a good relationship with the garage, then a quiet chat might solve everything. They may well rather to sort this out now rather than lose any prospect of future business or recommendations.

Oh, and there's also the backup of reporting them to SIMI if all else fails

Advertisement