Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFO's possibly ??

Options
  • 10-08-2008 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

Was out watching for meteors/shooting stars earlier with the wife when we both spotted the following three objects in the sky. The first one I thought was a satellite (moving slightly faster though than a satellite) that's what I thought up until it grew bigger, brighter and change direction :eek: :confused:.

The second objects we saw has just left us even more baffled, check out my drawings below of what happened, anyone any ideas ? This happened tonight 10/08/2008 at 00:39 & 00:42am NW.

ufo1cc2.jpg

ufo2da0.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I have observed this type of thing before but always assumed it was satellites I was seeing. I am a rank amateur though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

boneless wrote: »
    I have observed this type of thing before but always assumed it was satellites I was seeing. I am a rank amateur though.
    I've never seen a satellite change direction so thats why I'm really at a loss as to what we saw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

If there was a lot of light shining upwards in the area they were almost certainly seagulls wheeling about and lit up from below.

I've Seen it before.
    (I grabbed the binoculars and solved the mystery.)

No, it was not gulls that I saw. I had the binoculars on the lights at the time. And I was in North Mayo at the time so there was little or no light pollution either. I just assumed they were satellites but I did not realise they couldn't make right angled turns.

Also, the one light gradually became brighter but then just went out altogether. I suppose this could have been a meteor but it didn't appear to behave like any meteor I have seen before.

I have to state again, I am only recently converted to sky watching and must stress I am not a UFO seeker either. I tend to go for all the plausible explainations.

Pgibson wrote: »
    If there was a lot of light shining upwards in the area they were almost certainly seagulls wheeling about and lit up from below.

I've Seen it before.
    (I grabbed the binoculars and solved the mystery.)

I'm a good bit out from the town heading towards the border and it's not well lit up where I am, and it certainly wasn't any kind of bird. I thought it was a satellite at first as it was the same size, brightness and distance up.
    No, it was not gulls that I saw. I had the binoculars on the lights at the time. And I was in North Mayo at the time so there was little or no light pollution either. I just assumed they were satellites but I did not realise they couldn't make right angled turns.

Also, the one light gradually became brighter but then just went out altogether. I suppose this could have been a meteor but it didn't appear to behave like any meteor I have seen before.

I have to state again, I am only recently converted to sky watching and must stress I am not a UFO seeker either. I tend to go for all the plausible explainations.
    Sounds similar to what we saw but the light did not go out, it just dimmed back down, looking as if it was going back up as it just stayed in the one spot, reverting back to it's original brightness and then going off in another direction.

I wouldn't be a UFO seeker myself, but I sure as hell can't explain what we saw, especially the last two objects, they have us both completely baffled :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I did see what appeared to be a satellite do a sharp turn once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

What colour were they?

I ask because we got some chinese lanterns here and let them off on the 27th of last month in response to my sister seeing something similar to what your describing on the 25th of May.

As you do.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055299915&page=2

Some observations: They travel about 2000ft up, change direction the higher that they go due to wind direction and tend to intensify before diminshing again. If you let them go at roughly the same time they behave and react together as if in tandem.

These were not chinese lanterns. They looked like the space shuttle looks as its orbiting. Apart from the one that grew brighter and faded out.

These were not chinese lanterns. They looked like the space shuttle looks as its orbiting. Apart from the one that grew brighter and faded out.
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Yes the sister drew no comparison's either between the lanterns and what she saw on the 25th May.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭0utpost31

This is pretty interesting. I saw something like this when myself and friends were camping a few years ago. The sky was extremely clear, I haven't seen as clear a sky since, and there was a point of light doing some acrobatics amongst the stars. It really freaked us out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i saw something like this this tonight at about 23.30, only the one tho, in the north east, very bright like the iss. At first i assumed it was the iss coming into view but then realised it was travelling in the wrong direction, it then faded out. it could have been a iridium flare but it went on for ages and was quite abrupt.
    its possible it was a meteor but it had no tail just one single point of light, a few minutes before i notice a dimmer object moving in the opposite direction, seemed to slow and speed up and travelled in an arc across the sky, defo wasnt a meteor and it was travelling to fast to be a plane, and the change in speed ruled out a satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Was out watching for meteors/shooting stars earlier with the wife when we both spotted the following three objects in the sky. The first one I thought was a satellite (moving slightly faster though than a satellite) that's what I thought up until it grew bigger, brighter and change direction :eek: :confused:.

The second objects we saw has just left us even more baffled, check out my drawings below of what happened, anyone any ideas ? This happened tonight 10/08/2008 at 00:39 & 00:42am NW.

Are UFO's possibly ?? yes

UFOs are a fact. Any Flying Object that cannot be identified is a UFO.

Are some of the UFOs Alien space ships?

if Alien space ships were to come here they would have to find a way of travel faster than light or take very, very long time.

No real hard info either way.

nice drawings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Alright i just saw one of these orange/red lights come out of the south and move west then north west in the sky about 3:20am 20 mins ago. I watched it towards the horizon. I can safely say i had not had a drink all night.

It moved too slow and too low to be a satellite/meteor and had no trail behind it. This is the third time I've seen this, now two in the last four years( of which one flew directly overhead) and with the first about 20 years ago.

Interestingly strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Chinese lanterns, look it up on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

Snowbie wrote: »
    Alright i just saw one of these orange/red lights come out of the south and move west then north west in the sky about 3:20am 20 mins ago. I watched it towards the horizon. I can safely say i had not had a drink all night.

It moved too slow and too low to be a satellite/meteor and had no trail behind it. This is the third time I've seen this, now two in the last four years( of which one flew directly overhead) and with the first about 20 years ago.

Interestingly strange.
    one of the most common type's of ufo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

jonbravo wrote: »
    one of the most common type's of ufo.....

Chinese lanterns, look it up on youtube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

The Discovery space shuttle undocking with the ISS possibly? I read its happening around this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

maninasia wrote: »
    Chinese lanterns, look it up on youtube
    ive seen chinese lanterns but not on youtube have you...
    you'd have to have one hell of a brain fart to think chinese lanterns were ufos.

Advertisement