Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kangaroo Burger anyone?

Options
  • 09-08-2008 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Eat kangaroo to 'save the planet'

Switching from beef to kangaroo burgers could significantly help to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, says an Australian scientist.

The methane gas produced by sheep and cows through belching and flatulence is more potent than carbon dioxide in the damage it can cause to the environment.

But kangaroos produce virtually no methane because their digestive systems are different.

Dr George Wilson, of the Australian Wildlife Services, urges farming them.

He says they have a different set of micro-organisms in their guts to cows and sheep.

Sheep and cattle account for 11% of Australia's carbon footprint and over the years, there have been various proposals to deal with the problem.

Now Dr Wilson believes kangaroos might hold the answer.

He said: "It tastes excellent, not unlike venison - only a different flavour."

The country already produces 30 million kangaroos farmed by landholders in the outback.

But Dr Wilson is keen to see that population dramatically increased to produce the same amount of kangaroo meat as that currently produced by conventional livestock.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7551125.stm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muggyog

Surely 'eat rats and save the planet' would be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Does rat taste good?

I noticed in Oz they used Kangaroo for dog food alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muggyog

Like all other meat, it depends on what its been eating. Grain fed rat would be no different than chicken (watch out for the small bones!).

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Does rat taste good?
    It could taste like pumpkin pie, but I'll never know 'cos I ain't gonna eat the filthy mother****er.

Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I ate a couple of Kangaroo steaks in Aus and it tasted good. Not as nice as beef tho.

BabyEater wrote: »
    Not as nice as beef tho.

Ive heard enough!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

My brother-in-law brings back roo jerkey from Australia, 'tis tasty good.

Course lots of peeps there think of them as vermin, so don't eat em.
    Perhaps that scientist got the nod from the export ministry hehe...

Advertisement