Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sky signal breaking due to rain today

Options
  • 09-08-2008 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭

Due to heavy rains, the SKY signal was breaking today.
    I got the message - no signal on the TV.

what could be the problem?
    can I fix it?

I am using the normal sky dish with sky box - no card.

suggestions please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

what could be the problem?
    Heavy rain. Satellite signal is highly susceptable to weather and atmospheric conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ongarite

Lost mine for an hour. Very heavy rain and lightning here in Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

poor alignment or not big enough dish or rain too heavy.

Depending which seems more solvable, complain to Sky, Lidl, Aldi, Maplin, Installer or the Rain Gods.

Even on my 90cm and 110cm dishes I lost all channels for about 5mins once. I got 2" of flooding in 15mins that day :(

http://members.aol.com/xiuhcoatl/tlaloc.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

My 90cm dish is aligned as best I can, i get 94% Quality and 97% Level on my Strong 6355... When the rain came today, for about 10 minutes, all channels suffered from break up, even bbc 1 which is normally not affected.

Even the best aligned dish will suffer when it gets torrential like it did earlier.

mj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

thanks lads for the suggestions. i thought it was just me....
    i need not worry about this now
    problem solved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Sky dishes are never really big enough for the job of receiving in our inclement weather. Since i upgraded to a 1.1m dish never had a problem on all the main satellites for reception. Only recently for me 1west has become a problem since old satellites have been replaced in that position and my signal here in the west has got weaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Our Sky dishes are 65cm "Zone2" occasionally in Ireland I see a "Zone 1" Sky dish, only suitable for England and parts of Wales, about 45cm.

For the "Western areas" with heavier rain I recommend 75 to 80cm. Astra 2D is OK, will work on 50cm here. But Eurobird channels on Sky are very very much weaker as you travel west from London. The other Sky Astra channels also drop in level across Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

we had major major rain and major floods and sky was perfect the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I have 52cm dish and when it rains sky completely fails. Even 2d

Advertisement