Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Disposable' mobile on sale

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I wonder what impact the WEEE regulations has on the cost of that?

Also, aren't non-contract phones already used a lot by criminals? They're just going to love this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I think it's a tragic symptom of our modern society. Then again I say that about everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Is anyone else thinking 'drug dealers'?

Terrible idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I'm thinking drug dealers, and I think it's a great idea.

taconnol wrote: »
    Also, aren't non-contract phones already used a lot by criminals? They're just going to love this.

Yes; I'd considered that as well, I believe that in some countries it's illegal to sell mobiles without proof of identity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

aren't all mobiles disposable these days?

at €49 it's pretty expesive for a throw away mobile....you can get a new nokia here for €29 with call credit....think the bic marketing team are about to be fired....:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Yes; I'd considered that as well, I believe that in some countries it's illegal to sell mobiles without proof of identity!

Really? Which countries? I'd love to hear what the Gardaí think of this - although with roaming...does it matter if they're introduced here?

http://www.bicworld.com/inter_en/investor/pressroom/press_release.asp#

3rd link down is the press release.
    See the limit on the credit? Only 2 months. The french are buggers for that. When I lived there, you couldn't buy any less than €10 credit & it was only valid for a month. Sneaky feckers.

drunkmonkey - I think you're right. You can already get good quality Nokia phones for €49.

Eh hang on, now they're saying it isn't a throw-away mobile??

taconnol wrote: »
    Really? Which countries? I'd love to hear what the Gardaí think of this - although with roaming...does it matter if they're introduced here?
    France, Italy. I needed a passport in France and a passport and proof of address in Italy. There is a proposal in Italy that to roam onto an Italian network you need to go to a local mobile store and show some ID - they would then allow you onto their network.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

It's not really "disposable", or at least not any more than the €49 Nokia. It's just another cheap prepaid phone. The only novelty appears to be the BIC branding, so it's a PR stunt really.

They are strict about proof of ID in Italy because of organised crime. Now the mafiosi have to buy German prepaid mobiles and use them in Italy as roamers.

As far as I know, in France either the GSM encryption is disabled, or the government holds the master key (not too sure about the technical details of GSM) so the spooks can listen in to potential drug dealers at will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

France, Italy. I needed a passport in France and a passport and proof of address in Italy. There is a proposal in Italy that to roam onto an Italian network you need to go to a local mobile store and show some ID - they would then allow you onto their network.

if they bring in any forced identity checks i'm just going to buy another satellite phone. all real criminals use satphones anyway. or call using other peoples wifi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

does this mean that all children will have to carry identity or will they bring in a minimum age for registering phones......maybe 16 and up?

Also what would happen to all current unregistered numbers....would the networks drop all those numbers for the greater good?

Advertisement