Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sky+ setanta recording question

Options
  • 09-08-2008 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

hey guys, just want to doublecheck something

if a friend has a boxing match recorded to sky+ from setanta, and we burn it from his box to dvd or video, am i right in thinking that it can only be played back on a dvd player linked to a sky+ box with setanta subscription?

if so, is there any difference recording on dvd or video? like does the encryption work on both analogue video and digital dvd?

and if it is as i suspect, any crafty ways around this?:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

It can be watched on any DVD player.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Assuming macrovision doesn't stop you recording to DVD in the 1st place (Sky Box office mostly).

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

hey watty, i was going by this thread you posted a few months ago: were you only referring to pay-per-view stuff?
    orry..

The USB port is for future use and the disk is encrypted.

The Plustron analogue in DVD recorder in Dunnes is cheapest solution at about €99. Analogue capture on most PCs/Laptops is poorer.

Basically you can only playback via the SCART. If it's a pay Tv recording and you downgrade then you can't play it back at all.

The Sky Digibox uses two layers of encryption:
    1) The signal is recorded direct before the CAM/Viewing card so if PayTV or FTV has one of three kinds of Sky / NDS encryption.

2) The recording process adds extra encryption so even FTA (clear) channels are encrypted. This is added to all recordings.

On playback the embedded CAM 1st removes the disk encryption and then removes any on-air encryption, in both cases using your current viewing card keys. Hence ability to play back depends on current subscription, not just what you subscribed when recording!

If you don't like it complain to EU, TDs etc and buy a non-Sky Satellite PVR and only have free to air channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can't play back the recording STILL ON the Sky+, or SkyHD if you cancel or it is a Channel no longer on your package because you downgraded.

Assuming you can play it back ON THE SKY internal hard drive and record (no Macrovision), then YOUR recording continues to work no matter what Sky do.

I was referring only to play back of INTERNAL recordings on Sky+ and Sky HD, not external Live recordings on any box or external recording of the Sky Play back.

I have no idea if FTA recordings inside the Sky box play after cancelling completely. Certainly the Sky+ and SkyHD don't record ever from "other channels" nor record FTA at all if there is no subscription. In the UK only you can get a £10 Recording Sub for FTA/FTV channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

watty wrote: »
    Assuming macrovision doesn't stop you recording to DVD in the 1st place (Sky Box office mostly).

No macrovision on Setanta channels :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

aha, i presumed the scart output had some kind of encryption in the signal that would only play back if the signal was going through the sky box:)

thanks for the advice guys, got it recorded, nice one:)

Advertisement