Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Double blow for T.rex

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Poor T-Rex :(

mr_trex2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Galvasean wrote: »
    Tyrannosaurus has officially lost the title of 'strongest bite ever' to the megalodon.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/08/080805-shark-bite.html

In what is considered to be a bad week for mister Rex research also shows that duck billed dinosaurs grew much faster than tyrannosaurs.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/08/080806-duck-billed-growth.html

D'oh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Why the tiny arms? Surely they are completely impractical?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

WindSock wrote: »
    Why the tiny arms? Surely they are completely impractical?

Well, the main reason why it had such small arms is simply so it could have a larger mouth. Larger mouth = better at catching and killing prey. By the Cretaceous period pretty much all of the large carnivorous theropods had reduced the size of their arms in favour of bigger mouths (since they were no longer using their arms to grapple with prey). Tyrannosaurus is one extreme example of this.

That's not to say the arms were totally without use. Among several theories it has been proposed that a male T.rex might have used his arms for steadying himself on a mate during mating and/or posibly even using them to scratch at the females back in an attempt to arouse her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

We all know the real reason for small arms was so he could scratch his belly!

Megaldon was huge. I wouldn't doubt for one moment that his bite was stronger, but I'd imagine some form of prehistoric croc's bite might even be stronger than that as sharks don't tend tobite down in the same way crocs do, but rather sever.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I'll have to watch Jurassic Park again but I am sure this can't be true. :)

On a serious note you would have to wonder how such a large sea predator went extinct? I presume it would be more likely to do with its prey diminishing or something similar?

Well megalodon lived in tropic waters. It's main prey (whales) no longer live there so it probably lost its food supply.
    Interestingly enough killer whales appeared around the same time megalodon began to diminish. It is possible that the killers competed with it and/or maybe preyed upon young megalodons.

Advertisement