Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying from rei.com, recommendations?

Options
  • 09-08-2008 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭

Hi, I need to get a bunch of gear for a forthcoming trip and Great Outdoors appear to be pricey and not inclined to give a discount, so I've found all the equipment on rei.com.

Does anyone here have experience of using rei.com and would you recommend them? Any import duties etc?

Thanks,

Hugh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Hugh_C wrote: »
    Hi, I need to get a bunch of gear for a forthcoming trip and Great Outdoors appear to be pricey and not inclined to give a discount, so I've found all the equipment on rei.com.

Does anyone here have experience of using rei.com and would you recommend them? Any import duties etc?

Thanks,

Hugh

I've used them a few times - came across them in the states (great value when you are actually there), and used the mail order a few times after coming back.

Certain items can be outstanding value, if they are doing a clearance - got 3 really good fleeces from them once for about 8euro each, reduced from ~100 each; were large sizes and on clearance.

Delivery is always pricey to Ireland, so you need to be getting a pretty good deal on your items to make it worth while. On the plus side, delivery's very fast, sometimes within a week.

You generally have to pay customs when the goods arrive - you could be lucky and not get charged, but factor it into the price.
    After the delivery and the customs added on, it needs to be a sale, or very cheap, item to make it worth your while. Some stuff is that much cheaper though. Also, theres some items they wont ship outside USA (including north face and some other big brands.)
    I've always found them very pleasant to deal with (eg, in case of credit card verification issues, or returns), seem like a good company.

Oh yeah - worth pointing out, great outdoors give discounts to most outdoor groups (MCI membership etc), and obviously be a lot easier to return stuff too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

fergalr wrote: »
    Certain items can be outstanding value, if they are doing a clearance - got 3 really good fleeces from them once for about 8euro each, reduced from ~100 each; were large sizes and on clearance.

Thanks fergalr, there seem to be two sections to the rei webiste, the main part and a rei-outlet.com where everything is end-of-lined or surplus and appears to be really good value. My order would be around 300 US, plus 90 shipping which is about 260 euro. What would the duty charged be? 20%?

Even at that it represents considerable savings over Irish prices.

What sort of discount do MCI members get? Where else apart from Great Outdoors supplies outdoor equipment?

Thank,

Hugh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Thanks fergalr, there seem to be two sections to the rei webiste, the main part and a rei-outlet.com where everything is end-of-lined or surplus and appears to be really good value. My order would be around 300 US, plus 90 shipping which is about 260 euro. What would the duty charged be? 20%?
    I think its usually around 20 or 30% - not sure of the exact figure. It's charged on the shipping as well as the goods.
    What sort of discount do MCI members get? Where else apart from Great Outdoors supplies outdoor equipment?
    I think it's about 10%
    I generally find great outdoors the best outdoors shop in dublin. They're particularly helpful for ordering in things they dont have in stock, for example, large shoe sizes or out of stock footwear.
    Outdoor adventure store near henry street are also worth a look, the north face shop in temple bar (pricey), the patagonia shop can have some good deals, I've never been to 53degrees north but hear its decent.
    It's also, with the weak sterling, worth looking at UK retailers for big orders - there's a lot of big uk retailers that deliver to ireland very reasonably, and there's no issues with customs - easy to find them with google.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Have a look at www.jackson-sport.com

Ive used them and found them to be good value, quick delivery and theres no delivery charge. They're Belfast based.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Down South wrote: »
    Have a look at www.jackson-sport.com

Ive used them and found them to be good value, quick delivery and theres no delivery charge. They're Belfast based.

Thanks a lot folks, I've had a quick look at Jackson Sports and have heard good things about that place out in Carrickmines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement