Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bikes 89 euro > Dunnes Stores

Options
  • 08-08-2008 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi,

I was in Dunnes toda in Blach SC, I seen they are selling new bikes in boxes for 89 euros.

They look OK, not high and but price seems to be very reasonable.

Regards,
    Jack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭Spipov

ive bought one. didnt get any assembly instructiosn with it, so still struggling with putting it up. seems a good bargain though, good overall quality. will take pics once im done with it this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Spipov wrote: »
    ive bought one. didnt get any assembly instructiosn with it, so still struggling with putting it up. seems a good bargain though, good overall quality. will take pics once im done with it this weekend

Just so you know - the threads on the pedals will be opposite so you will have to screw one one way and the other the other way in order to attach them. Catched alot of people out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Yeah i bought one in Letterkenny last sunday. They're not bad for the price. The lack of instructions peed me off too, so got my brother to put it together for me! i think the pedals have to be put on so that when you pedal you arent actually loosening them! I dont rate the brake levers too much though, dont look like they will last too long! But at E89.95 its still a bargain. Dunnes in longford had a few left when i was in on Wednesday.

yeah. have a bit of a problem with tightening the brakes front and back. spent a few hours with those buggers. either too tight, too loose or too close. damn them.

thanks for the pedal info, ill make sure of that when i arrive to that point!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

yeah. have a bit of a problem with tightening the brakes front and back. spent a few hours with those buggers. either too tight, too loose or too close. damn them.

Just make sure you are careful with the pedals, the right one goes on clockwise and the left one goes on anti-clockwise.

Anybody know if there are any ladies bikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

If i bought one of these could i bring it anywhere and pay a few quid to get it assembled, i am useless at assembly of things and i know i would give up ?
    I wouldnt have the patience or the techical mind to stick it together safely

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

andrew1977 wrote: »
    If i bought one of these could i bring it anywhere and pay a few quid to get it assembled, i am useless at assembly of things and i know i would give up ?
    I wouldnt have the patience or the techical mind to stick it together safely
    Any bike store might do it and if they don't someone there might do it in his spare time for a few bob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭DaveBH

Hi Spipov - After much adjustment I can't get the brakes (front or back!) sorted. Any advice? Feel free to PM me. Thanks

DaveBH wrote: »
    Hi Spipov - After much adjustment I can't get the brakes (front or back!) sorted. Any advice? Feel free to PM me. Thanks

sometimes on cheap bikes one side of the brake can be a lot closer to the wheel than the other. To fix this there are screws to the side at each side where the brake bolts to the fork/frame. Screw this in a a tiny bit and that side will move out a bit and screw it out and the brake goes in a bit.

Thanks for that - the screws are there - but screwing/unscrewing has no effect - I've also tried adjusting the length of the brake wire to no avail. The problem with both front & rear brakes seems to be that when I pull the brake lever, only one side of the brake moves towards the wheel. Anyone know why?

• Advertisement

DaveBH wrote: »
    Thanks for that - the screws are there - but screwing/unscrewing has no effect - I've also tried adjusting the length of the brake wire to no avail. The problem with both front & rear brakes seems to be that when I pull the brake lever, only one side of the brake moves towards the wheel. Anyone know why?

thats definitly got to do with the screws mentioned, the side that wont move is probably leaning towards the wheel, if so screw in the screw on the side that aint moving a good bit in and dont touch the screw on the other side for the moment,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you are doing any serious mileage you need a decent bike, a cheap one is a false economy and will not last.

www.chainreactioncycles.com is a brilliant site, up the north with free postage, and if you buy over a certain amount, maybe 40euro, it is free courier delivery.

agree rubadub that if any decent millage is being done a good bike, hope my advice as a previous bike mechanic helps to sort out these bikes.

yes, i agree to the decent mileage thing. i only need a bike to go to the park when there is sun. so basically,l i havent ridden it AT ALL.

for the brakes thing: i had a lot of trouble and spent a few hours a few days to sort it out. u have to hook that part just after the rubber into one of the brakes holder, and then adjust the tension by loosening the part where the steel wire ends, pulling it out till the brakes are close enough to the wheel as possible without touching then tighetning then trying them.

usually you have to screw the handle bar brakes to have the right spring and tension there as well...

its hard to explain, really. better off doing a video, but im sorry, im not going to touch the brakes, i might never be able to get them right again!

best bet is to get them tightened in a bike shop

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rinnin

Just wonderng what the spec was on these bikes? Are they all the one size? For adults or kids? No of gears etc.
    A photo would be great.
    (Dont ask for much do I?)

Rang Blanch SC just now. Sold out. Bummer. :mad:

Try Dunnes in Cornelscourt - they took a delivery of extra bikes on Friday

Goddamnit! Why didnt I think of that? Or subscribe to this post?! :mad:
    Ah well.

Advertisement